Olive Oil Vs Aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderchild

Reaction score
Hi Group,

I have recently beeen told that a small drop of olive oil 1m -2ml per 20L in freshly brewed wort can replace the need to aerate.

has anyone got experience with this?

I have tried it in my starter and it is fermenting like a champion!

TC

Hi Group,
I have recently beeen told that a small drop of olive oil 1m -2ml per 20L in freshly brewed wort can replace the need to aerate.
has anyone got experience with this?
I have tried it in my starter and it is fermenting like a champion!
TC

1) Hit the search bottum on the top RHS of your screen
2) Click on Google Search
3) Type "olive oil" [enter]
4) Read through many pages on the topic
5) Add question to an existing thread
6) Ask a mod to delete this thread

I have never tried it.

TC,
I have used and still continue to use olive oil in some of my starters. I am still experimenting with the technique and vigoriously reading and researching as much as I can on the subject. To date what I have found is vigorous starters and absolutely no problems with head retention what so ever. I am honestly not completely sold as yet because it is still early days but more and more I am convincing myself that this is viable solution to wort aeration.

Cheers

Chappo

If it works long term, I like the idea of removing another potential point of infection with the airstone. I just know there is some nasty lurking in there somewhere to spoil one of my prize beers. Knowing my form it will be a heavily hopped IPA that has cost me a fortune in ingredients.....

If it works long term, I like the idea of removing another potential point of infection with the airstone. I just know there is some nasty lurking in there somewhere to spoil one of my prize beers. Knowing my form it will be a heavily hopped IPA that has cost me a fortune in ingredients.....
Hi, I've recently experiemented with this technique. My first "olive oil" batch finished fermenting 2 weeks ago, FG finished up spot on target so that is good. I described this in this thread

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ation&st=20

I now have to wait a few more weeks to conduct the taste test.

I brewed a stout on the weekend, also using olive oil and no aeration. This is still fermenting, OG was 1050 and was down to 1020 last night but still going, so I anticipate that there will be no problems reaching target FG.

I gotta say - I'm hoping it works. Adding a drop of oil to the starter is surely much easier than faffing around with other forms of aeration.

Hazard

Hi, I've recently experiemented with this technique. My first "olive oil" batch finished fermenting 2 weeks ago, FG finished up spot on target so that is good. I described this in this thread

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...ation&st=20

I now have to wait a few more weeks to conduct the taste test.

I brewed a stout on the weekend, also using olive oil and no aeration. This is still fermenting, OG was 1050 and was down to 1020 last night but still going, so I anticipate that there will be no problems reaching target FG.

I gotta say - I'm hoping it works. Adding a drop of oil to the starter is surely much easier than faffing around with other forms of aeration.

Hazard

+1 Hazard

I have been doing this now since March and as I said earlier I am yet to be convinced otherwise that this is not a promising method for no fuss aeration. The debate on this subject has been great and hopefully thru that debate maybe we can demistify the whole method into something that can be used by us humber homebrewers.

Cheers

Chappo

Does someone know about the chemistry behind this?

Seriously - how the hell could olive oil substitue for O2?

Read zee link above bear... It's got to do with what the yeast does with the oxygen (convert to olive oil-like products to strengthen cell walls, I believe). There's a link to a thesis in that topic.

I didnt read the article, but if you guys really want to know if it works then do a bacth of beer and split it into three ferments. One with areation, one with olive oil and one with neither. Pitch the same yeast to each and observe the difference.

Does someone know about the chemistry behind this?

Seriously - how the hell could olive oil substitue for O2?

I didnt read the article, but if you guys really want to know if it works then do a bacth of beer and split it into three ferments. One with areation, one with olive oil and one with neither. Pitch the same yeast to each and observe the difference.

I think we are getting a bit cross threaded here, on another thread Chappo has been doing exactly that and is having good results with the oil. Tomorrow I'm doing a mythbusting exercise and pitching an Assie Old brewed to a repeat recipe with the same yeast, but with 2 ml of olive oil, and see how it goes. I'll try anything once ;)

Back