Old Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc59

Reaction score
Hey I've got a couple unopened bags of hops that have been sitting in my fridge for about 18 months. I understand the alpha acid content will be substantially less, but will they still be good to use for late additions? I'm not sure if hops can go off.

David.

Hey I've got a couple unopened bags of hops that have been sitting in my fridge for about 18 months. I understand the alpha acid content will be substantially less, but will they still be good to use for late additions? I'm not sure if hops can go off.

David.

I've got some left over from the great 2006 hop buy. I've also got plenty of 2010/2011 hops and went to pay a mate for helping out, in hops, guess which ones he picked! After tasting the beers with the 2006 Cluster he went straight for them. Mine have been vac sealed and in a freezer, but I think your ones should be ok.

QldKev

David.

Belgium Blonds use old hops for the preservative qualities (and because they don't taste as bitter). Make some Belgium beer?

not trying to be a smartarse but its the belgian lambics and sour beers that use old hops but i think stored unopened these would be waay to fresh to use in a lambic.you can make an alpha adustment in beersmith for the hops. if they smell good and hoppy when you open them and not like parmesan cheese you should be good to go.

Dravid,

I keep some Styrian Goldings that are a few years old now for Bittering my Saison Dupont clone

Pumpy :)

Latest posts

Back