Old British Beers And How To Make Them

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived too, thanks for all the effort, looks like there is some interesting reading in the book.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks for making it happen. You're right about it being small - the postman stuffed it through the mail slot and now mine is all bendy.

It's the info in it I'm after and a week of me reading it and brewing with it next to me would see it get to that point anyway.

Looks like hours of fun though.

Just in time too - I'm looking at making my first porter this weekend.

Mine arrived today too. Thanks heaps O'Henry.

For all the "negativity" early on about this book, only half the book has the sketchy recipes, the other half has some interesting info from the short bites I've read!

Sketchy recipes are enough to work out percentages though. I don't need everything spelled out for me.

Looking at the porter section because I want to make one but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep to their maturation schedule.

This kind of history and beer passion is what attracts me to brewing.

K-Ching. All arrived. I wonder who is going to organise the comp related to brewing Old British Beers in the current time??!!!

Cant let Doc win Everyfing ... EveryFing ... !!! (as Frenchy says in Taledega Nights)

Scotty

Received my copy on Friday - Thanks O'Henry.

An interesting read. Will probably need to re-read some of it before starting to add a recipe into BeerSmith; would be interested to see other peoples recipes based on the book (to make sure I'm on the right track).

The only problem with this book is the idea of tying up a corny for the maturation time recommended for some of these (12 months +) - especially if it doesn't turn out as expected. :)

The only problem with this book is the idea of tying up a corny for the maturation time recommended for some of these (12 months +) - especially if it doesn't turn out as expected. :)

Bottles. :ph34r: :chug:

Great to see some people already getting into it. I have read most of it twice now and am still reading it whenever I see it sitting there. When I get around to brewing one, will be using champagne bottles, just incase anything goes wrong. Will be good for longer term storage too.

Thanks O'Henry
received my book the other day.
Great read

Cheers
BS

Hi O'Henry,

Received it today and I'm well chuffed with it.

Thanks!!

cheers o'henry i brewed the first of many beers today, only two months till i taste it :icon_cheers:

Has anyone else brewed beers from this book? Marksfish, how did your beer turn out?

the mild i brewed turned out really good crystal clear but it did need the conditioning time, i have done a couple of others however they didnt turn out as good :icon_cheers:

I haven't brewed any exact recipes from it - just been getting ideas and tips mainly (and enjoying the history). Gone is the oft touted suggestion that all english beers are bittered only or high in malt sweetness and low in bitterness.

I've also just bought a demijohn to use as an ageing vessel so the idea of 8+months maturation then dry hop isn't so far away. Will be trying it with porters, stouts and dubbels (and buying more demijohns as money allows).

Latest posts

Back