Old British Beers And How To Make Them

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O'Henry

Reaction score
Am wanting to order Old British Beers and How to Make Them. As it seems to only be available from the UK, and from the clubs website at that, I thought I could put in an order for a few extras and maybe get the price down a little bit.

The quote was 12.78 pounds for one sent to Australia, he is getting back to me on say 10.
Let me know if anyone is interested.

Looks like a good reference book.

Andrew 1
Altstart 1
Leigh 1

Andrew 1
Altstart 1
Leigh 1
Katie 1 (christmas present for lloydie)

[quote name='O'Henry' post='520959' date='Sep 15 2009, 03:03 PM']Am wanting to order Old British Beers and How to Make Them. As it seems to only be available from the UK, and from the clubs website at that, I thought I could put in an order for a few extras and maybe get the price down a little bit.

The quote was 12.78 pounds for one sent to Australia, he is getting back to me on say 10.
Let me know if anyone is interested.[/quote]
Good idea, unfortunately I already bought one.

Very interesting read. The average OG of beer in 1850 was about 1080 looking at the recipes in this book, and some IPAs had a hopping rate of 2.5 oz per gallon (that's about 350g of hops in a standard 5 gallon (23L) brew!!! Haven't made one of these yet, it might be a project for the Christmas holidays.

Sounds good. Just so we're clear, that's 10 (about AU$20), delivered to Bowral? We would then pay for further postage?

Mmmm... Section on home-roasting malts.

Andrew 1
Altstart 1
Leigh 1
QuantumBrewer 1

Edit: Added (1)

I suppose I should put myself on the list.

Andrew 1
Altstart 1
Leigh 1
QuantumBrewer 1
O'Henry 1

And it was 12.78 to Australia, which I assume would be the same price anywhere in Australia. This would equate to around AU$25. I imagine it will be a little cheaper at least. So, I would get them sent to me in Bowral and could have them in Sydney one weekend for pick up or I'll just mail them out to everybody.

and some IPAs had a hopping rate of 2.5 oz per gallon (that's about 350g of hops in a standard 5 gallon (23L) brew!!! Haven't made one of these yet, it might be a project for the Christmas holidays.
When you think about it though, AA levels were heaps lower back then. I mean, my latest (A)IPA was 30g Simcoe (12.3%) + 20g Amarillo (8.6%) @ 60 mins. To get the same bitterness from 3.n% fuggles (example!) you're looking at... A lot!

[quote name='O'Henry' post='520959' date='Sep 15 2009, 01:03 PM']Am wanting to order Old British Beers and How to Make Them. As it seems to only be available from the UK, and from the clubs website at that, I thought I could put in an order for a few extras and maybe get the price down a little bit.

Let me know if anyone is interested.[/quote]

TWOC has it listed on the website for $29.95

http://screampix.com/twoc/index.php?main_p...products_id=136

Andrew 1
Altstart 1
Leigh 1
QuantumBrewer 1
O'Henry 1
Scotty 1

Andrew 1
Altstart 1
Leigh 1
QuantumBrewer 1
O'Henry 1
Scotty 1
manticle 1

I think you would need to get it posted hence the $29.95.

I really didnt think there would be that much interest in this book, but I guess there are a bucket load of members. Hopefully the guy gets back to me tonight re costs...

Ok, if you get a better postage deal for multiple orders I'll be in too.

Andrew 1
Altstart 1
Leigh 1
QuantumBrewer 1
O'Henry 1
Scotty 1
manticle 1
boddingtons best 1

I too am interested

Andrew 1
Altstart 1
Leigh 1
QuantumBrewer 1
O'Henry 1
Scotty 1
manticle 1
Kai 1

Just for anyone thinking about getting this book, i have a copy and this is what the recipe's actually look like:

85. Amber Ale (1823) Brewing Books, Cobb & Co., Margate

OG 81

Popular Amber Ale Recipe

2 lb 10 oz Pale Malt
1 1/4 lb Amber Malt
1.45oz Fuggles

Mature 4-5 months

82 Dark Amber Ale (1812) Memoranda Books, Cobb & Co. Margate

OG 76

A brown ale to die for.

3 lb 5 oz Pale Amber Malt
3.4 Oz Brown Malt