Oktoberfest Party Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit I googled corn hole toss with a large amount of trepidation...

Do you have access to an archery set or an air rifle? 'Shoot the water balloon of her head' is always a fun game when everyone is hammered.

mckenry said:
Do you have access to an archery set or an air rifle? 'Shoot the water balloon of her head' is always a fun game when everyone is hammered.
It's really hard to get a realistic William Tell costume these days; they mostly look like Robin Hood clothes.
How about, Sink the Schnitzel? (It sounds like a fun game, though my wife has never let me play it so I'm only guessing)

Another vote for nagelspielen or hammerschlagen (same game, different name). We played it at the Oktoberfest I had and it's a bit more challenging than everyone first thought. I also was going to do sprint relays involving full steins and sculling, but it never progressed to needing that!

Lederhosen and Drindl's, pretzels, sauerkraut, mustard, ompah music and lots of beer is always a great party in my opinion.

Cheers,
RB

When it starts with lederhosen and dirndls, its a going to be a good party.

Some good ideas here. I thought I was being extravagant with beer sauerkraut and sausages.

It has come around to planning time so thought I'd dig this thread back up.

Pretzels are getting ordered ($3 a pop seems expensive).

Beer... well itll just have to be whatever I have on tap as I have had a few other things come up.

Lederhosen ordered, Mrs has a Dirndl as do a few others

I need to source some decent german sausages (kranski etc), I'll make some sauerkraut to go with them and of course various mustards

Looking to hire some tables to get one big long table, blue and white checker tablecloths to go over them.

I'd love to get someone serving beers but I think that may be over budget, as is proper steins. So I may have to settle for self serve in plastic cups.

Anyone have a copy of the "ein prosit" song? As well as oompa songs?

Have you already ordered the pretzels? Have found a supplier of traditional german one's in melbourne but the minimum order is 80.. They are snap frozen and only require 2-3 mins in the oven.

You can make quite authentic pretzels at home but you need access to lye/sodium hydroxide. Here is a pic of the ones I made last year.

15506797581_e245e418e9_n.jpg

Love the whole Octoberfest thing, nice time of year here in Oz to have people come and drink your beer and food. Pic below of the main offerings. Most popular beer was the Helles

15512893965_f1a4dbed38_n.jpg

Moad said:
I haven't ordered but I am in Newcastle...

Pork knuckle = $25... wtf
Its trendy so its pricey (think what happened to lamb shanks ten years ago). I can get em at a local butcher here on the Mid North Coast for about $8 each but they are fiddly and pricey for a crowd.

I ended up doing a couple of boned shoulder, slow cooked for 8hrs. No wastage, easier to carve etc.

The country brewer in maitland has a bratwurst and kransky premix, both are very nice if you want to make your own at all.

I brewed a Helles and Heffe for ours once. Had them and soda water on tap.

We also ground, stuffed and smoked our own wurst (2 types), made pretzels... (bicarb soda method). One of the sausages was also poached in beer. An sauerkraut....

My wife made dirndls for herself and our daughter...

We set up a long shade pavilion with bench seating. really made a difference to the atmosphere.

You can find lots of steins in thrift stores as people buy them at octoberfest dos, alternatively, ask people to bring their own. At least my friends had a bunch of 1L steins ;)

And I bought a few octoberfest albums off iTunes (ein prosit!)

Just grabbed half a dozen oktoberfest albums and of course ein prosit to be played every 20 minutes.

Heading out to look for decorations now, tables are sorted. Will get some cabanas and drape decorations from the roof etc.

Food is still to be sorted.

Nothing really oktoberfest themed in the way of beers, will do a hefe because I can knock one up in 2 weeks but others will be whatever I have on tap

Wasser...

Und bratwurst mit senf, naturlich...

(i.e. don't forget to drink lots of water...)

(and on another note my pee smelled like Centennial this morning for some reason...)

When are you planning it, and are you kegging or bottling? Keep Centennial well away from any Oktoberfest...

I would put down an o'fest (decent pils, vienna, munich ii, melanoiden?) with Wyeast 2000 or the O'fest blend, and a schwarzbier w/ Wyeast 2000 and lager them over the next couple of months, then throw in a (pale) wheat beer a few weeks out with 3068 or 3333, nice and fresh.

Latest posts

Back