Oktoberfest Party Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eagleburger said:
Aldi kranksies are alright.
I second this motion! German supermarket chain has to do good sausage!

Adr_0 said:
When are you planning it, and are you kegging or bottling? Keep Centennial well away from any Oktoberfest...

I would put down an o'fest (decent pils, vienna, munich ii, melanoiden?) with Wyeast 2000 or the O'fest blend, and a schwarzbier w/ Wyeast 2000 and lager them over the next couple of months, then throw in a (pale) wheat beer a few weeks out with 3068 or 3333, nice and fresh.

April 11 so not enough time for any lager styles. I've had a busy brew schedule with other events so never had space to lager anything.

3068 is my go to yeast for hefe, I'll whip one up 3 weeks out.

Kegging btw

Edit: will grab a few kranskies to sample cheers fellas

There's time for Zoiglbier. It's a fresh lager served by community breweries in Oberpfalz, Northwest Bavaria, on the Czech border ;)

Hefeweizen is fermenting away, down to 1.008 but very sulfery. Will give it until next wed before kegkegging and hope it dissipates

60 bratwurst, 100 breadrolls, 15 kranskies (as finger food) and some saurkraut all ordered. Ill get some standard snags for those less adventurous party goers

Lederhosen just fits and quality testing all the beers and food before the party is not helping.

Will post up some photos after the party

T minus 3 hours

image.jpg

Looks good. Hope you're either in a quiet street or have security. You might be in for a few unexpected guests.

I've only just mustered up the energy to post these up. Party was a huge success, cleaned me out of beer and got plenty of people jolly. Will hopefully be making this a yearly event around the time of the real deal. Hopefully the photos turn out, they were off a mates camera and were 20MB so these are just screenshots.

SWMBO got me a pretty awesome present, a week away down in North Victoria on a brewery/MTB tour finishing off with a comedy festival back in Sydney.

action.jpg

boys1.jpg

gang.jpg

group.jpg

ladieez.jpg

leah.jpg

wifey.jpg

Trying to find a thread to tag this onto. This'll do. Just spotted these at Woolies. Probably not as good as doing them from scratch but can sometimes be a difficult cut to get. $10/kg and most were just over the kilo.

New-GermanKnuckle-600x400.jpg

Trying to find a thread to tag this onto. This'll do. Just spotted these at Woolies. Probably not as good as doing them from scratch but can sometimes be a difficult cut to get. $10/kg and most were just over the kilo.

Egads.

Just ask for a hock from the butcher, should be reasonably available. I got some specially done with my whole pig I ordered off Adam recently, did 2 of them up for a sunday lunch. Very good. I also got some jars of sauerkraut from coles, and made some potato dumplings from scratch (which went suprisingly well). This is a good guide: http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/pork-knuckle-potato-dumplings-and-braised-red-cabbage

I took a video and started a highly succesful series called Food Safari on SBS

Really, must have missed my invitation to be an extra in the background tasting and supposedly enjoying said food.

Also, I don't recall Maeve O'Meara having a beard.

Really, must have missed my invitation to be an extra in the background tasting and supposedly enjoying said food.

Also, I don't recall Maeve O'Meara having a beard.

I haven't aged gracefully.

In the interest of science I got one and gave it a go. Not bad.
Pork knuckle with sides including cheesy leek mash, home grown broad beans, red sauerkraut and pickles. Some Weihenstephaner on the side.

full

full

Did it taste like instant heart attack? It's not proper german food if it didn't.

Latest posts

Back