Ok,going to start a brew for the first time!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzielee303

Reaction score
Hi
Going to do a brew for the first time and need a bit of clarification on a few things,please :blink:
Going to brew a Lager(found some recipes)called
"Gold Label Premium Lager"
1 can of Coopers Lager or Draught
750g of Coopers Light Dry Malt Extract
Question for the above is,would I be better off with a draught can or Lager?

Then doing a Black N Tan mix,called a Black Dog
1/2 a can of Coopers Stout
1/2 a can of Coopers Lager
500g Light Dry Malt Extract
500g of Glucose or Dextrose
Question for that one is
It calls for Glucose or Dextrose,could I use Coopers Brewing Sugar,instead?
It states on Coopers Website,that the brewing sugar is this Coopers Brewing Sugar contains dextrose and maltodextrin. The dextrose will ferment out completely. The maltodextrin is not fermentable and remains in the brew adding to the body and head retention whilst not imparting any sweetness or flavours. A simple improvement to all your brews.
Could I substitute the Glucose or Dextrose for brewing sugar(my local supermarket has only brewing sugar)????
And what is Steeping,with grains????

Cheers :drinks:
ozzielee303

First one. Draught unless you can control the temp of the brew and you are using genuine lager yeast. Lager are a PITA for genuine ones.
Second, yes you could use cooper brew sugar. I'd go all malt, or even a box of BE2 will suffice.
Third grains for steeping add colour, taste and complexity, you soak them in heated water to draw out the sugars, this is then added to your brew.

indica86 said:
First one. Draught unless you can control the temp of the brew and you are using genuine lager yeast. Lager are a PITA for genuine ones.
Second, yes you could use cooper brew sugar. I'd go all malt, or even a box of BE2 will suffice.
Third grains for steeping add colour, taste and complexity, you soak them in heated water to draw out the sugars, this is then added to your brew.
Thank you for your help,I know what to do now,thanks mate

Cheers
ozzielee303 :chug:

ozzielee303 said:
Then doing a Black N Tan mix,called a Black Dog
1/2 a can of Coopers Stout
1/2 a can of Coopers Lager
500g Light Dry Malt Extract
500g of Glucose or Dextrose
What do you do with the remaining half of each cans? Effectively half a can is the same as 500g dry malt (the Lager can) and the light malt could then replace the dex.

You could even just do it as a toucan, the flavour will be affected because the kits have hops added but IMO it would be for the better, especially better than wasting two half kits!

I would do this and keep the dex for priming your bottles!

damoninja said:
What do you do with the remaining half of each cans? Effectively half a can is the same as 500g dry malt (the Lager can) and the light malt could then replace the dex.

You could even just do it as a toucan, the flavour will be affected because the kits have hops added but IMO it would be for the better, especially better than wasting two half kits!

I would do this and keep the dex for priming your bottles!
Hi Mate
Yep,sounds wise don't it?
That is what I'll be doing,thanks

Latest posts

Back