Odd Things In Bags Of Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldenchild

Reaction score
Ive always noticed twigs and small sticks in my grain bags and considered this the norm.

today i was cracking grain getting ready to mash in and found these bits of gravel.
IMG_0405__Medium_.JPG

i use a coffee grinder as i biab and although it wouldnt be good for it im sure it wouldnt break the grinder if some of these went through unnoticed.

im wondering if it would damage a mill if it went through there?

has anyone else found this sort of thing in there bags? or worse?

I haven't found any gravel stones personally but have heard them being in there before

I don't use that crappy australian malt with 5c pieces in it. Mine has five euro cents in it.

Pro breweries have gravel traps and magnetic filters so it must be common enough, although I've never seen it out of a bag myself.

I've certainly heard a couple of crunchies go through my mill at times.

I've never seen anything in my grain, but maybe it's just I've never noticed.

Out of interest, which brand of grain where these from?

QldKev

Had a rock in sme once, put a dint in the rollers on the old Marga

I get lots of bindis in Barrett Burston pale, lots of what look like thistle heads in my Marris Otter. I did get something that looks like a lump of particle board in my latest sack of Weyermann wheat malt, but on reflection it's more likely some (very) compressed plant matter from somewhere in the process.

never found a rock though! It's like a lucky dip!

After a piece halted my Marga I found a heap more gravel in a sack of TF* MO, but CB replaced it with no drama or fuss. There's plenty of dings in my mill's rollers, just about every batch I put through it has the odd crunch but there's really now't that can be done about it. There's always some admixture consisting of foreign seed or plant material, black oats, insects, snail shell, etc, premium German malts seem to have the least, Weyermann FM Bo Pils seems to be be the cleanest I've ever had.
*TBH I've not been happy with TF's packaging, apart from that sack of MO with contamination, by the time I lay my hands on it invariably the flimsy liner has been holed through mishandling but it wasn't even closed on a few occasions which kind of defeats the purpose of having it. Feedback via the wholesaler was that they're working on a new bag and liner plus upgrading the packaging plant so that there's less chance of contaminants, looking forward to seeing the effect of that flow through to us here and then I'll start buying it again.

I've found little stones and heard them crunch through the rollers. Lots of other seeds.

In my latest sack of GP I found a sheep tail rubber ring :D

After a piece halted my Marga I found a heap more gravel in a sack of TF* MO, but CB replaced it with no drama or fuss. There's plenty of dings in my mill's rollers, just about every batch I put through it has the odd crunch but there's really now't that can be done about it. There's always some admixture consisting of foreign seed or plant material, black oats, insects, snail shell, etc, premium German malts seem to have the least, Weyermann FM Bo Pils seems to be be the cleanest I've ever had.
*TBH I've not been happy with TF's packaging, apart from that sack of MO with contamination, by the time I lay my hands on it invariably the flimsy liner has been holed through mishandling but it wasn't even closed on a few occasions which kind of defeats the purpose of having it. Feedback via the wholesaler was that they're working on a new bag and liner plus upgrading the packaging plant so that there's less chance of contaminants, looking forward to seeing the effect of that flow through to us here and then I'll start buying it again.
+1
TFMO usually sems to have a higher than normal % of fine gravel. The marga's rollers cope a bashing when I'm brewing bitters <_< .

I recently had a huge chunk of black cakey stuff in some melanoidin - I think it was like one of those chips that hangs out in the deep frier for three batches and is PURE NASTY GOODNESS.

Crap that sticks to the side of the kiln and falls off eventually.

Probably put the EBC up by 1.

I found one of these when emptying out my mash tun once:

hook.jpg

I presume it came from the bag of rice gulls, as there's no way it would have gone through the mill. I'd hate to think what it would have done to the mill otherwise!

Riminds me of the time I used to work in a vitamin factory and we found an old rusted key inside one of the bags of herbs. You could just imagine the poor farmer getting home and thinking "where the hell did I leave the bloody house key!" :rolleyes:

Cheers,
tallie

Looks like a bail clip for sure. We used to use them back in the days at the old Lion's bottle shop when would crush the cartons, pack into bails then clip the bail closed with them. Sharp and dangerous!

Back