Oats

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcc3573

Reaction score
I have been brewing now for 2 years only AG, mostly successful but with a few that have gone straight down the plughole. I recently have been trying the East Coast IPA style and my first attempt also was a failure. It seems every time I use oats in my grain bill I get this really stringent acidic flavour almost like putting your tongue on a battery. I have tried 3 recipies all with different grain, yeast and hops but each time oats goes in this happens. My questions are, should I be using malted oats or regular? I am typically mashing at 68 is this correct and is there anything else I should be doing when having oats in the bill to stop this from happening.

Thanks in advance

IF you aren't using malted or crystal oats you need to be thinking of doing a step mash, a Glucan and Protein rest are probably a good idea.
With malted oats you need to be very careful with your milling, they are so thin they will go straight through the mill untouched and wont add anything to your brew, I always crush malted oats at less than 0.25mm.
As for the flavour, that's not a problem that I have encountered, tho Oats can if stale have an acrid sort of rancid oil flavour.
Mark

Try uncle Toby's quick oats instead of malted, loads here use them in oatmeal stout recipes.

18l6ir.jpg

A.B. said:
Try uncle Toby's quick oats instead of malted, loads here use them in oatmeal stout recipes.
i use the cheap as chips home brand rolled oats, they work a treat and are about $1 for a 750 gm pack!

That sound like astringency from polypheonols/tannis and is probably not related to your oats.

The most common culprits for astringency are:

1) sparging too hot
2) PH too high
3) oxidised hops (beta acids become bitter and harsh)

ps: you can make NE IPAs without oats, it is mainly about the yeast and water

RelaxedBrewer said:
And you can still drink it and talk with a "swamp people" accent, whilst chasing them gators.

RelaxedBrewer said:
That sound like astringency from polypheonols/tannis and is probably not related to your oats.

The most common culprits for astringency are:

1) sparging too hot
2) PH too high
3) oxidised hops (beta acids become bitter and harsh)

Thanks for the tips, I buy hops and use them usually within the week, so I am guessing its not that. I usually sparge at 75 so may drop that down. I also just got a ph meter so will check my next brew. But I am not putting oats in.. the cost of brewing these with almost 600g hops means its an expensive waste of beer
maybe I will just leave it to Trillium and Tired Hands!

Sparge temp at 75 degrees won't be your issue either. Are you BIAB?

600g of hops in a single batch?

Please post your recipe

Troopa said:
600g of hops in a single batch?

Please post your recipe
Not sure if you follow it but the The Craft Beer Channel on youtube.. I know its Poms but still very good. They home brewed version of East Coast IPA which Gipsy Hill did

http://thecraftbeerchannel.com/gipsy-hill-drifter-east-coast-ipa-recipe/

I requires hopping during fermentation, beginning middle and end I may be exaggerating with 600 but its still a fair amount (bugger I read it wrong and the dry is 3*10*4 oh well I have enough for 2 batches then) I wont be putting syrup or treacle in mine.. reinheitsgebot.. being now back in Germany my father in law would refuse it :D

FWIW and I do brew with malted oats and I have made 100% (of grain bill) malted oat beer.
Your mill gap should be about 0.7mm for best results. You need to somewhat split the oats but not crush them.
Oats are a great way to actually reduce the chance of stuck sparge.

k

Hang on... rolled oats are meant to be crushed? I normally throw them in whole.

Malted oats need to be cracked.

When I crack Oats, wheat malt, Rye varieties I always vary the roller gap to get a good crack for the different grain size, like Dr K said.

What about rolled oats? When I've included oats in recipes (read: oatmeal stouts) I've used rolled oats or Uncle Tobys quick oats from the supermarket. Haven't run them through a mill. Should I have? This may go some way to explaining why I haven't noted a huge impact from the oat addition.

I was of the opinion that if you wished to use rolled/flaked oats in a recipe, they had to be gelatinised before adding to the mash.

Latest posts

Back