Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
I've been thinking of putting this down

1.7kg Coopers Stout Tin
0.5kg LDME
1kg JW Ale Malt
0.5kg Rolled Oats

Made to 16L with S-33

I'm not sure if it is going to be sweet enough or if I should add brown sugar/molasses or if I have put too much oats.

KP,

as you are using oats and ale malt, I assume you are mashing and doing a boil. If so, I would say you are better off ditching the can of stout and replacing the majority of your ale malt with specialty malts such as crystal, chocolate, flaked barley and roast barley and get your extra fermentables with tins or bags of malt extract to put in the boil. This will give you a more flavoursome, "fresher" tasting stout. Look up some of the stout recipes in the recipe database to get an idea of quantities. The Oatmeal Stout thread in "flavours of the week" section is a also a good starting point. Obviously, if you don't use a kit, you will need some hops for bittering and maybe flavour - even better for a fresh taste!

Re your question about sweetness, it is generally dextrins from high mash temps or additions such as crystal malt which would make the brew sweeter. Adding more simple sugars such as brown sugar and molasses will make it dryer, not sweeter. They will however add extra flavour which can be good in a stout. Go easy on the molasses, though - it can be a dominant flavour.

Cheers - Snow

I had the can of stout lying around, so I wanted to use it. I still haven't moved to ag yet, just doing partials. But I'll have a look at that thread.

For adding sweetness to the beer, use lactose (also called milk sugar). This will not ferment out. I got it from a local home brew shop.

I think from memory I used 250 g in a 23l batch of oatmeal stout, and it was beautiful.

as you are using oats and ale malt, I assume you are mashing and doing a boil. If so, I would say you are better off ditching the can of stout and replacing the majority of your ale malt with specialty malts such as crystal, chocolate, flaked barley and roast barley and get your extra fermentables with tins or bags of malt extract to put in the boil.

I beg to differ. Add some spec malts, but keep the bulk of the grist as highly diastatic base malt. He'll need the enzymes from the base malt to convert the starches in the oats. Quick oats are good, don't need a cereal mash, just toss them in the mash tun with the malt.

[quote name='PostModern' post='337595' date='Jul 28 2008, 01:20 PM'][quote name='Snow' date='Jul 28 2008, 12:03 PM' post='33755
as you are using oats and ale malt, I assume you are mashing and doing a boil. If so, I would say you are better off ditching the can of stout and replacing the majority of your ale malt with specialty malts such as crystal, chocolate, flaked barley and roast barley and get your extra fermentables with tins or bags of malt extract to put in the boil.

I beg to differ. Add some spec malts, but keep the bulk of the grist as highly diastatic base malt. He'll need the enzymes from the base malt to convert the starches in the oats. Quick oats are good, don't need a cereal mash, just toss them in the mash tun with the malt.[/quote]

Right you are, PoMo. I forgot about the oats. He should be right with 1:1 malt to oats, with the rest of the space in his grain bag/tun dedicated to spec grains.

- Snow

If you are using Instant Oats or Quick Oats in a K&K type stout do you need to boil them in a bag or steep at about 75C.

Seen rolled Oats in the Supermarket but not sure what to do with them except eat them for brekky.

Does 500g sound about right for 23L batch ?

This will not work TB... oats do not have enzymes required to convert the starches in the oats to sugars. You'll need to mash with about equal quantity of base malt (grain) to get use out of it. If you're willing to do that you may as well throw out the kits and start full-on (or at least partial) mashing!

Thanks phew good job I asked..

This brewing caper is not as simple as it first appears. Better stick with the simple K&k and Toucans for now until we get the training wheels off... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back