Oaking the keg makes this beer smooth and creamy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
New to using Oak chips. I make 2 keg brews and treat the kegs differently.
This time its my Cascade Harvest Ale made with my home grown fresh hops.

1st keg I wet hopped with a weighted hop sock stuffed with 200g Fresh Hops. Its an incredible discovery of flavor and aroma for for me. You really have to try it if you haven't.

2nd Keg I Oaked with 20g Oak Chips. This REALLY smooths the beer and makes it taste creamy (lacking better terms etc). The same beer just kegged differently make two totally different beers in aroma, flavor and mouth feel.

Just felt like sharing that since I've picked up so much from this place in only a short time.

The Oaking method was: for 18lt keg - Put 20g Oak chips in small hop sock with a stainless steel weight in it.
Put sock of Oak chips in a Canning Jar (mason jar with the 2 part lid). Fill the jar with the finished Beer.
Secure lid and pressure cook. (Submerged in water in the pressure cooker and bring to pressure cook)
Cook at pressure for only a minute then turn off and cool any way you like. Fast cooling the pot in a sink of water is OK. When jar is cooled enough gently add all its contents to the keg of beer. Condition/Carbonate whatever.

Yummy Yummy.... B)

You can do the same with just a water bath in a normal pot/kettle just boil for longer, like 10 minutes.
Pressure cooker is just faster and better.

Latest posts

Back