Oak Barrels Or The Likes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
Am currently having a look around for a small barrel to wood age a brew in the near future. Not so much liking the prices I'm seeing http://www.thekegfactory.com.au/index_files/Page616.htm. Anyone know of cheaper places to get them, I'm after around a 10L one, all the prices I've seen are quite rediculous

talk to gmk he got my last one

Boiled/steamed Chips...............better surface contact area, waaaaay cheaper!

Screwy

talk to gmk he got my last one

Thank's, I'll see what he can do

Boiled/steamed Chips...............better surface contact area, waaaaay cheaper!

Screwy

Yeah I know, but I sort of want it to compliment the bar as well. And if I'm gonna get one for the bar, I want one that's gonna have wood aged beer in it :beerbang:

I've heard you can often get second hand barrels from wineries for less than $50.

takes a lot of beer to fill!

related question - anyone know where in Australia to find oak cubes, similar to the ones sold on morebeer?

I've heard you can often get second hand barrels from wineries for less than $50.

Yeah, not that keen on wood aged beer, but still keen

I've actually been thinking of calling around coopers and asking how much a 30-50L barrel would cost - anyone done this?

related question - anyone know where in Australia to find oak cubes, similar to the ones sold on morebeer?

i get mine from cellar plus in epping. they have mail order to i think,otherwise i think ive seen them at grain and grape aswell

Hey Johnny

I for one would be interested in finding out.

cheers

grant

I have a RIS in a keg with an american oak stave in it.

Not as sexy as the barrel on the bar (i use my 5L barrel which i got from ebay for $70 for port) but i have ~19L in an air tight container.

A lot cheaper too and i guess, in theory, i could reuse the stave by planing the outer layer off, re-toasting it etc etc......

Hi Smurto,

Curious, where did you grab your oak stave from?

Cheers SJ

Latest posts

Back