NYE drinks thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
My beer cartel order came in today. Sweet!. I've also got a homebrewed Belgian IPA, a keg of saison, and a keg of Riwaka hopstand Maris otter smash. Not having a big one as I have a traditional early morning beach side appointment tomorrow pre dawn.

image.jpg

Home brew cider and XXXX Gold cans, before the Irish whiskey is broken out.

Yes I got given 4 cartons of XXXXGold tubes for doing cattle work for my neighbour, they just won't go away. Fukin terrible. Don't know how my father in law lives on the shit.

I actually don't mind xxxx gold on tap or in the bottle. It's everywhere here now. Hey, I'd love to walk into my local club or pub and have a choice of a hand pumped mild, a Kriek, and maybe a saison, but it's not gunna happen, so I make do.

I rate XXXX Gold better than most, it is my go to beer when in a pub, especially the ones near my house...

On topic: Thinking of drinking the Boon Gueuze I got from 2003 and maybe a Murrays Anniversary #3.

I've got a bottle of La Wambrechies, Rogue Yellow Snow IPA and Blanche de Namur to take with me to a BBQ tomorrow, as well as a bottle of Fat *******'s beetroot saison. Tonight I'll knock over a couple of Xmas Lotto brews, nothing too drastic.

Cosh said:
Got a 6 pack of Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale; never tried it before so I hope it's good.
I tried a six pack of that a while ago, very nice.

Some friends of ours have moved to Canberra, and he tells me his local is the Wig and Pen. Been wanting to go there for yonks so we'll be sneaking down for a few when I get there. Then a trip to DM's to grab something to drink on their back verandah while we watch the fireworks over Lake Burley Griffin.

It5's funny how many four letter words can be used to describe XXXX
Personally, it is my commercial beer of choice.
Could be worse. You might have been given a dozen of those huge export Foster's cans. I think they still export them to the USA where they think they are our standard beer can. Maybe someone knows?

Will be at a mates place for a bbq with the girls and all the kids. Looking at a selection of my brews and LOTS of seafood and steak !

I have recently started getting in to belgians, I like that slightly sour/funky yeast taste.
Can anyone suggest a good one ?
I had the abbey dubbel at Hargreaves Hill the other day, loved it !! Also, white rabbits belgian pale ale, that was great. Don't think these one are stocked in bottlos.

Will have to get to a good bottlo and see what I can rummage up !

Anything chimay, duvel, orval. Anything that has the Trappist sign of authenticity. I like the red and blue chimay, and orval. And if you're game and have a good bottlo, try a sour ale. Num num.

I've got half a keg of belgian pale , 2 kegs of wit , half a keg of AIPA , and half a keg of APA...I also have a wife who is due on Jan 5th , so am under strict instructions not to have any more than one , should we need to go to hospital.....Happy New Year , everybody !

Keg of Summer Ale, Keg of Hefe & a Keg of Lemonade. Will be at the River by 3:00 ready to go.

fergthebrewer said:
I've got half a keg of belgian pale , 2 kegs of wit , half a keg of AIPA , and half a keg of APA...I also have a wife who is due on Jan 5th , so am under strict instructions not to have any more than one , should we need to go to hospital.....Happy New Year , everybody !
Pffft, pregnancy isn't a disease!!, she can't drink anyway so what's her issue?. Bloody hell.

Just kidding. Yep, my wife doesn't read ahb hahaha. Good luck with it mate! :)

Yeah good luck ferg !

I ended up with a couple of leffe radieuse and chimay blondes. looking forward to them !!

Plus home brewed honey wheats, a few pale ales and a couple of ambers.
Good drinking weather in melbs too ! :beer:

I'm going to a mate's joint later on this evening - I figured I'd bring something different so I put 10g french oak chips, 10g citra hops in a 2L coke bottle before I counter pressure filled it with 9% black imperial IPA. My thinking was 12 hours or so should be long enough to soak some extra flavour in there.

That was all well and good, until all the extra bits started foaming up beer. Funnily enough, wood floats, and all the little bits of oak were carried up by the foam and getting trapped in the lid as I was trying to screw it on - once I got a thread, it still failed to seal until I spent half a minute with black foam dripping down my arm and beer growing quickly less carbonated, and losing most of the oak I'd added.

Shit.....Worked all day at the tasting room at the brewery, thinking I'd take home a bottle of the Lark barrel aged peated scotch ale we brew but headed straight out the door at knock off and forgot......so its a few random bottles from bridge road and whatever (ahb member) DanteHicks has on tap......

ESB, BRY 97 Redemption APA (second keg is tasting pretty damn good) and a shit load of Henninger hand grenades.

6 pack of grand ridge brewery yarra valley gold, hop hogs, just polishing off a sierra nevada summer harvest long neck/pint, whatever it is, then its back to my extract galaxy brew which i've been smashing down all week, too easy to drink

Latest posts

Back