Nutri Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cady

Reaction score
hi has anyone used nutri grain in there kit beers and how did it go ..

:huh:

w... why?

w.. why not. B) I reckon someone has tried it before .. the fact that it hasn't been a commonly asked (and answered) question probably should mean its a bloody silly thing to do. But I'm brewing a chocolate chilli coconut beer at the present (but at least I have a solid if stupid reason).

What's in Nutrigrain ? (never bought the stuff).

I'm feeling a bit ill after reading, and then thinking about this.
But if they've got low carb beer, why not try iron man beer?
Why not give it a try with a cheap kit, and then tell us about it?
plus all those other cereals out there, like crunchy nut cornflakes, fruit loops, coco pops,etc would give some interesting flavours

the only thing i would go anywhere near would be adding weet-bix. atleast you know its got very little aditives compared to nutri grain.

still silly nonetheless.

Not a stupid question at all.

500gm of Corn Flakes add body and mouth feel in the same way as adding crushed Corn (Maze).

Nutigrain is a mixture of Corn, Oats and Wheat with added Malt and Sugar.

For a dark beer like a Stout or Robust Porter it makes the perfect additive.

Oh, I've not done Nutigrain but would be willing to try it in a mash. Yes on Corn.

BOG

Before throwing the breakfast cereal box in the mash tun, make sure you read the ingredients. Many of these cereals have lots of sugar, salt and preservative in them. Also, nutrigrain probably doesn't list exactly how much oats, wheat or corn it has in it.

It would work out a very expensive way of getting some adjunct into your mash. Rolled oats are much cheaper.

The only good thing about corn flakes, rice bubbles or nutri grain, the adjunct has already been gelatinised.

Kit brewers, please note that all these adjuncts have to be mashed with a fair bit of base grain, otherwise it just adds starch to your brew, which in turn will add little available sugars and will form haze in your brew. It would be just as much good to throw the box in rather than the grain if you are using a kit brew.

w.. why not. B) I reckon someone has tried it before .. the fact that it hasn't been a commonly asked (and answered) question probably should mean its a bloody silly thing to do. But I'm brewing a chocolate chilli coconut beer at the present (but at least I have a solid if stupid reason).

What's in Nutrigrain ? (never bought the stuff).

Hey Fatgodzilla,

I just tapped my keg of Triple Chocolate Chili Stout... it is freaking awesome.

I say make the Nutrigrain Beer ... I am 100% with the w...whynot!! sentiment. If people stop trying things that other people say are silly, then there would be no BIAB, no No-Chill, no anything new at all. Nutrigrain might be the best adjunct in the world, but because it's silly we'll never find out.

I walk down the "starchy" aisle at the local asian grocer and arrowroot, tapioca, chinese water chestnut, weird fruit, wiggly looking things... they all get a bit of "in the context of brewing" evaluation... and they will probably all get tried one of these day.

Brew on, try the whole damn breakfast cereal aisle and let us know how it goes.. you will need to mash them though.

Thirsty

ripped from their own website:

Cereals (44%)(wheat flour, oatmeal, maize flour), sugar, wheat gluten, molasses, salt, barley malt extract, minerals (calcium carbonate, iron), mineral salt (sodium bicarbonate), natural colour (paprika, turmeric), vitamins (vitamin C, niacin, thiamin, vitamin B6, riboflavin, folate).
Contains gluten containing cereals.
May contain traces of peanuts and/or tree nuts.

44% cerials and 56% sugar - good for fattening up kids (and yeast)

If you can get the crap to sparge go for it!

the only thing i would go anywhere near would be adding weet-bix. atleast you know its got very little aditives compared to nutri grain.

still silly nonetheless.

thanks for the feedback regarding nutrigrain i had no glucose or malt .so did a mini mash 500gr nutri grain 500gr barley flakes . the kit was blackrock ipa.any way its bubbling away now .so will let you know how it goes.cheers wes.

Haven't used Nutri-Grain...

But I regularly use Wheat-Bix, Corn Flakes, Rolled Oats, Rolled Barley, Rice Slurry, Popped Corn, Polenta etc.

thanks for the feedback regarding nutrigrain i had no glucose or malt .so did a mini mash 500gr nutri grain 500gr barley flakes . the kit was blackrock ipa.any way its bubbling away now .so will let you know how it goes.cheers wes.

You need malted grains in your mash, it's the enzymes in the malted grains that convert the starches into fermentable sugars. Without that, the nutrigrain will add some flavour but lots of starch (haziness) and no extra sugars past the amount already in sugar form in the cereal.

You need malted grains in your mash, it's the enzymes in the malted grains that convert the starches into fermentable sugars. Without that, the nutrigrain will add some flavour but lots of starch (haziness) and no extra sugars past the amount already in sugar form in the cereal.
thanks tim i will try mash some malted grains with my next kit. :icon_cheers: and save my nutri beer for sat mornings lol.

Wesley, did you mash the barley flakes and nutrigrain with some grains?

Latest posts

Back