Nsw Xmas In July 2006 Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys
Thanks for the positive reviews on my beer, I havent tried it since I sent it off in early June, I was actually gonna wait until I heard alot of the reviews, see if I could pick up on anything that people found in there, and se what I could do to improve it. Anyway, I havent put my recipe up in the database yet, but for TD - it was bittered with Target, all Fuggles through the finish, then dry hopped with 20g each of Fuggles and Hallertauer (something I picked up from a BC micro). Not too sure about the oxidation, will report to you after I taste my bottle. I am pretty careful, but anything is possible. As far as Berp goes, I hope that you didnt get a dodgy bottle, I havent tasted any infection while trying my sampler stubbies before I sent it off, so I cant say. It may be a little too bitter (its 10IBU above range for style), and that is something I will be looking at. I will try and post my next review this arvo when I get home from work.
All the best
Trent

The mystery continues Trent.... i think i must have got a similar bottle to Berp, as i and miss KoNG both noted the extreme bitterness and what may have been an infection.?? I'm also confused with the hops, even though the bitterness was the dominant aspect of the beer... to me.... it was all amercian hops in what flavour and aroma i got.
Anyways, i scribbled some notes down when i had the beer, but they are at home, i'll make my review then.

The mystery continues Trent.... i think i must have got a similar bottle to Berp, as i and miss KoNG both noted the extreme bitterness and what may have been an infection.?? I'm also confused with the hops, even though the bitterness was the dominant aspect of the beer... to me.... it was all amercian hops in what flavour and aroma i got.
Anyways, i scribbled some notes down when i had the beer, but they are at home, i'll make my review then.

Did you send out two different beers to trick us all Trent? :lol: FWIW my bottle was indeed quite bitter, but as Shmick and a couple of other reviewers have noted there was still sufficient malt there in that big US IPA style. The hop flavour and aroma in mine was definitely English. Just to show I'm not being a smart@rse after Trent has listed his ingredients, I'd have guessed EKG rather than Fuggles and definitely missed the Hallertau, but it was an English rather than US flavour. And definitely no infection in my bottle, so there you go... The great Trent mystery of 2006 :lol:

Shawn.

FWIW my bottle was indeed quite bitter, but as Shmick and a couple of other reviewers have noted there was still sufficient malt there in that big US IPA style.

hmmm, i would have said that this bottle was a little lacking in malt and body....? :unsure:
is there not some form of infection that removes malt/body and hence increases perceived bitterness.?
this is really confusing..... just to make sure, trents beer is the "dirty birdie" one..? with the indian mynah on the label....?

Trent you cheeky bugger... what are you upto..?? :lol:

Any acetic bacteria infection will have the effect of reducing body. Most bacterial infections will do this to some degree. For example the bacteria that causes a wine to become "corked" also often makes the wine come across as fairly weak, especially compared to non-corked versions of the same wine.

I have no idea what the case is with Trents brew though...

FWIW my bottle was indeed quite bitter, but as Shmick and a couple of other reviewers have noted there was still sufficient malt there in that big US IPA style.

hmmm, i would have said that this bottle was a little lacking in malt and body....? :unsure:
is there not some form of infection that removes malt/body and hence increases perceived bitterness.?
this is really confusing..... just to make sure, trents beer is the "dirty birdie" one..? with the indian mynah on the label....?

Trent you cheeky bugger... what are you upto..?? :lol:

Mmmm... I tasted my bottle about a week and a half ago. Don't know if that would make any difference? Surely not a long enough period of time for any meaningful change?? The body was fine, not over-carbonated and no infection when I tried it... Bitter and hoppy, but an enjoyable brew - as I said, one of the beers I've enjoyed most from the case so far. Strange and stranger...

Shawn.

NIFTY's - California Common

This beer poured a slight hazy copper with a small head throughout consumption. On the nose was a fruity yeast aroma similar to that of CSA. The first sip proved malty and balanced (maybe slightly to the malt side) with a smooth mouthfeel. This came accross as a perfect session beer, nothing confronting or obtruse it really felt like drinking CSA. Nice.

I didn't pick up any infection, early or otherwise. It is a bottle conditioned beer and I picked up some 'yeastiness', but definitely no infection. Maybe you got a dodgy bottle berp - or maybe I got a good one - but I know an infected beer when I taste it and the bottle I tried wasn't infected.

After thinking a bit more about Trent's beer (and finishing it off), I came to the conclusion that it was almost certainly an infection. But because others (such as you, Gough) did not notice it, I think you're probably right that it must have come from the bottle.

Still a good beer though, Trent!

Berp.

After thinking a bit more about Trent's beer (and finishing it off), I came to the conclusion that it was almost certainly an infection. But because others (such as you, Gough) did not notice it, I think you're probably right that it must have come from the bottle.

Still a good beer though, Trent!

Berp.

Agreed, although i must have got a similar bottle. :(
The bummer for me was, that i remembered enjoying Trents beer @ christmas... even Miss KoNG mentioned liking the last case entry from Trent when i handed her a glass of the july entry. Hopefully it was some isolated bottles.

Cheers
KoNG

My goodness!
I hope that it was just some isolated bottles, I dont usually get infections, but I did have a feeling that the beer was a little too bitter, but figured there is no such think as i "too bitter" IPA. I certainly didnt put it in as a bad beer on purpose :( , so I am very sorry if you got a bad bottle. I will crack mine tonight, and post my review tomorrow. It has been in the bottle the better part of 3 months, so I would assume if it were an infection, it would have been close to undrinkable at this stage, but if there are several people who have thought the same thing, I am certainly not one to argue. My utmost apologies if there was an infection. Any ideas on what it could have been? I am all for hearing honest reports on my beer, and if I can get some help to improve, I am very happy. IPA is one of my favourite styles, I have had others comment the hops taste American, so maybe Fuggles isnt the best hop for it? That, and I will try and drop the IBU's. Possibly even go back to basics, and start at 1.060, and 40IBU's. Very sorry again, but anyone that has any reviews on my beer, good or bad, please post em, along with any thoughts for improvement.
All the best
Trent

KONG'S ENGLISH BITTER

This beer had a sweet malty aroma, with some caramel qualities, a moderate hop aroma, and moderate fruity esters. It was amber in colour, clear, with a dense white head that dissipated fairly quickly (I assume I need to clean my glassware, as this is a recurring theme for me). The beer itself is a little overcarbonated, so the flavours are a little muted, however I found a moderate maltiness with a med-high bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste. There is moderate hop flavour, and moderate fruity esters, it is balanced towards the bittering hops (as all good bitters should be), though finishes just a touch sweet, and has some low malt flavours in the background. The body is med-light, with med-high carbonation that gives a low level of carbonic bite. there is a slight creaminess, that is mostly negated by the carbonation, and moderate alcohol warming present.
Overall, I thought this was an easy enough drinking beer, it was a little overcarbonated and maybe a little too sweet (but only just) in the finish. I certainly enjoyed it, however, and we had MHB's "extra" bottle at the last BJCP meet, and everyone that tried it commented that they would be proud to make a beer like that. As far as improvements go, I would use a hint (maybe 30g) of a dark, or roasted malt to dry out the sweetness in the finish and darken the colour a tiny bit, and obviously lower the carbonation. Some more hop flavour would be nice, but that is just my tastes. I gave it 36.5/50.
All the best
Trent

NOOCH'S DARK MILD

Moderate malt aroma, consisting of chocolate, caramel and a slight biscuity note. No hop aroma, and some moderate fruity esters. It was a deep drown in colour, that had ruby highlights when held to the light, and was quite clear. The low, off white head dissipated quickly in my glass. There is quite a mild flavour (hence the name "mild!"), and it tastes a little watery on the back palate, but it is only 3.4% after all. It has a low chocolatey maltiness, with a moderate bitterness that is possibly a little too high for style. There is a low fruitiness, and the beer finishes reasonably dry, possibly thinning the body and flavour a little? No hop flavour, nor diacetyl. The bidy was light, with low carbonation (spot on), though it is a little too dry to have any real creaminess to the mouthfeel, it is almost a light astringency. No perceptable alcohol warming.
Overall this is quite a nice beer, easy to drink, and it got better the more I drank. Excellent attempt at your first mild. As far as my thoughts for improvement, I would reduce the dark malt, or add it at the start of sparge, to lower that dryness at the finish. Lower the bitterness by a few points, to allow the malt to show through more, and I would possibly also mash a little higher, or use a few different crystal malts, to try and up the body a little. Quite enjoyed it though. I gave it 38/50 to style.
All the best
Trent

Following this thread with interest. Enjoy reading some of the descriptions people give for a beer (chocolatey notes, back palates, esters). Just wondering how you guys are actually serving the beers?

1. Decanting into chilled jug and then into chilled glass?
2. Decanting into frozen jug and then into frozen glass?
3. Not decanting into a jug - straight into chilled glass?
4. Not decanting into a jug - straight into a non-chilled glass?
5. Straight from the bottle (heaven forbid!)

Just curious because as you know all of the above will give different results to the glass of beer you are tasting.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the feedback Trent. I'll definitely take you recommendations onboard next time i brew a mild.

As for serving method Steve I pour to a non chilled jug then to a non chilled glass.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback Trent. I'll definitely take you recommendations onboard next time i brew a mild.

As for serving method Steve I pour to a non chilled jug then to a non chilled glass.

Cheers

I 'decant' gently into a non-chilled jug and pour into a non-chilled glass. I let the beers warm up a touch as well.

Shawn.

Cheers

I 'decant' gently into a non-chilled jug and pour into a non-chilled glass. I let the beers warm up a touch as well.

Shawn.

Cheers Nooch and Gough...just wondering with your serving method, is this how you normally serve YOUR beer at home or is this a method you are using to fully judge the beers?
Steve

Cheers

Shawn.

Cheers Nooch and Gough...just wondering with your serving method, is this how you normally serve YOUR beer at home or is this a method you are using to fully judge the beers?
Steve

'Cause I still bottle, this is how I generally serve mine at home.

Shawn.

Steve.

I use option 4. Not decanting into a jug - straight into a non-chilled glass.

I like to use an appropriate glass for the style too, if I have one, as it seems to make a difference.
I try to ensure that I don't get any yeast/sediment.
I like to serve at an appropriate temperature for the style, as well as allowing the beer to warm in the glass as I'm tasting, as I sometimes get a better flavour as the beer warms (not always, as with commercial Aussie beer).

This is the method I use for most beers at home, as I am now a confirmed "beer geek".

Seth :p

I keg so i generally pour from tap to non chilled glass but the beers i do bottle are always served this way.

Back