Nsw Xmas In July 2006 Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KoNG's bitter is now safely in my belly. I have recently become a huge fan of Styrian Goldings and this beer has just reaffirmed that. And geez it definitely opens up when you let it warm up a bit. the last couple of mouthfulls of each glass were the ones when I found myself almost uncontrolably saying out aloud "shit that's a good beer". The hop characters just seemed to jump out in those last few sips. Anyway, plenty of character in this brew, none of which was out of place. I saw a comment previously that there was some burnt rubber characters in the beer. I may not have a perfect palate but I certainly didn't see anything that resembled burnt rubber - it was smooth all the way. A really well crafted ale KoNG, my only disappointment is that I don't have another bottle!

Tonight was bloody great - Nooch's mild before dinner, which was a winner. Then my folks came over for a roast and I polished off KoNG's bitter over the meal. My dad had a taste of the bitter and was very impressed. Its always a good sign when even a non-brewer can't get enough. Unfortunately for him though a taste was all he was getting! :D

Nice roasty, chocolatey nose, with a hint of diacetyl. No hops evident.
Colour looks good for a porter, and good clarity, thanks to the W1318 yeast and some time.
The head is thin, yet persistent.
Low carbonation, which is within the style.
Slightly thin dry mouthfeel with a whack of chocolate and roast. Lingering bitterness from the roast and hop bitterness. Perhaps an astringency due to the roastiness. Possible taste of stale hops.

Yep, my Porter is now carbonated and drinkable, if a little dry. I was thinking that it may be closer to a dry stout, esp at 5.7% alc/vol.

As long as it's had time to settle, open yours soon, unless you're saving it for the yeast.
I don't reckon it'll get any better.
It was based on Gerard's recipe from Paddy's. Hope he could recognise it.
The different yeast and long secondary ferment may have something to do with the dryness.
I'm getting a pleasant aftertaste of EKG hops, once the roasty bitterness fades.

I'd love to make this again, with the right yeast.

Seth. :p

Review of Weizguy's Teninchbrewery Porter.

I like the giraffe pic. I bet that it was an allusion to Gerard's saying of "meet you by the giraffes". And, aren't giraffe tongues blue? Is the label also poking the tongue out at Bluetongue Brewery as the giraffe has a bigger tongue than their lizard?

One more thing. How can the beer be made from all Ozzie ingredients when the yeast is British via the U.S.? Hmmmmm????

Nice roasty, chocolatey nose, with a hint of diacetyl. No hops evident.
Colour looks good for a porter, and good clarity, thanks to the W1318 yeast and some time.
The head is thin, yet persistent.
Low carbonation, which is within the style.
Slightly thin dry mouthfeel with a whack of chocolate and roast. Lingering bitterness from the roast and hop bitterness. Perhaps an astringency due to the roastiness. Possible taste of stale hops.

Yep, my Porter is now carbonated and drinkable, if a little dry. I was thinking that it may be closer to a dry stout, esp at 5.7% alc/vol.

As long as it's had time to settle, open yours soon, unless you're saving it for the yeast.
I don't reckon it'll get any better.
It was based on Gerard's recipe from Paddy's. Hope he could recognise it.
The different yeast and long secondary ferment may have something to do with the dryness.
I'm getting a pleasant aftertaste of EKG hops, once the roasty bitterness fades.

I'd love to make this again, with the right yeast.

Seth. :p

I thought it was getting close to the Dry Stout, (Jazza Fish knows how to spot the difference between these two styles ;) ), but I was struggling to pick that as a beer based on my Choc Porter recipe. The Roast dominates with a little astringency. Try using Roasted Wheat Malt next time. The Choc Porter at Paddy's was 4.8%Alc/Vol, so that was a bit off. The colour was too dark, closer to the Gearin Porter we had on tap up in Katoomba.

Apart from that I really enjoyed this beer. It did everything a Black beer should do. It would have been great with a Double Belgian Chocolate Ice Cream sandwich.
Cheers
Gerard

Shmick,

Its funny you should mention "astringent hop flavour". I noticed you have Challenger hops in the recipe. I have made a few beers in the past were I used a large amount of challenger and I got quite a harsh astringent flavour as a result. Did you use challenger in your previous effort? This hop variety has always frustrated me because it smells so damned good in its raw form, but I have never gotten a beer to yield those same characteristics. The more I used the more astringency I seemed to get. Anyway, it may not have anything to do with your experience but I just thought it was worth a mention.

I suspected my astringent flavours came from using hops that were a little past their best by date.
I agree that challanger has a fantastic aroma but I leaned more towards the EKG for the late additions, relying on the challanger more for bittering.
IMO they make a pretty good combination.

DrewCarey84's Pilsner

Poured very clear with a few yeast clumps in the second glass (I guess I tried to squeeze too much out of the bottle). A harsh yeasty aroma like say Toohey's New or VB. No malt or hop aroma. Flavour was clean with no discernable malt or hop. I'm assuming a high adjunct rate as the body was also quite thin, but a... ?? sliminess... maybe from maltodextrin? This beer could have done with more malt and hops and I didn't really like the finish because of the slimey mouthfeel and possibly the kit yeast. No signs of infection, cleanly fermented but lacking in "oomph" to make it stand out. Not a bad beer, but not a great one.

I hope you get some good results with your newly found passion for partial mashes, DC. Seems you have the fermentation side down pat.

Tried one of mine on the weekend fellas and to my alarm it looks like morgans have stuffed me up big time, its got Pride of Ringwood in it.

Even though the finishing hops clearly stated that it was Saaz.

Normally its a great beer so pretty pissed off that they've stuffed it up for me!

Next swap I'll make it up to you's.

I don't think there were any finishing hops in it. The aroma reminds me of stressed yeast, perhaps underpitched? It was quite sweet, so overbitterness is not there either. Anyway, we'll see what others think of it. I wonder if Berp's palate is ready for it ;)

Post Modern.

With the finishing hops it came with 2 in the bag of Saaz I brought.

This is not the norm, normally its 1 bag per packet.

I made 2 batch's one for myself 1 for the XMAS case, my one turned out fine with a nice Saaz flavour.

However the one for the XMAS case that I tried had what I thought was a very, very bitter flavour which to me had tones of POR that I'd tasted in my Draughts where I'd used finishing hops for that - except way, way bitterer(If theres such a word)

I'd never had a problem with the yeast thats come with Morgans kits b4 so I doubt that would be the problem.

I agree with PoMo. To my tastes, this was not bitter at all. I'd say it was lacking in hops myself. I really like your review PoMo. I was struggling to think exactly how to describe the beer and reading your review I found my head nodding in agreement. Very useful. I didn't get any yeast clumps so no real yeastiness either. A clean beer, but lacking something for my tastebuds only.

I'll agree with one thing, for Porters, Stouts and Ales they definately seem to be a lot more dimensial and tastier then my kits I used to do, hopefully my partials shall add another dimension to what I've brewed so far.

Thanks for the feedback TD (and also schmick previously). I will make sure i put the recipe in tonight for you.

As Gough backed up I really wasn't a big fan of it. But hey it was my first go at a mild so i suppose it wasn't to bad. Atleast i now know where i can improve on it.

Cheers

Post Modern.

I made 2 batch's one for myself 1 for the XMAS case, my one turned out fine with a nice Saaz flavour.

However the one for the XMAS case that I tried had what I thought was a very, very bitter flavour which to me had tones of POR that I'd tasted in my Draughts where I'd used finishing hops for that - except way, way bitterer(If theres such a word)

I'd never had a problem with the yeast thats come with Morgans kits b4 so I doubt that would be the problem.

Finishing hops aren't going to make your beer bitter.

Did you boil them? Or throw them in the fermenter? If you threw them in the fermenter then they will add aroma.

Post Modern.

Finishing hops aren't going to make your beer bitter.

Did you boil them? Or throw them in the fermenter? If you threw them in the fermenter then they will add aroma.

Just the simple method, in a cup of boiling water 10 mins b4 and throw in once I am ready to put in yeast.

Okay here's my thoughts on the beers I've tried so far. In no particular order:

Stephen's Special Bitter
Looked good in the glass, clear with a good head. Nice malt aroma with some background hops. Well balanced malt and bitterness. Good body. I really liked this beer.

Nifty's California Common
Like a few of the reviewers I had never tried this style and had no idea what to expect. Slightly hazy but a nice amber colour. Good hop flavour with some fruitiness. I could have had a few more glasses of this. Well done.

Barry's Robust Porter
I'm not really into this amount of roastiness. But it was really well made and looked great. Black with hints of ruby in the light. One of the best in the case no doubt about it.

Linz' Scottish Ale
As previously mentioned this beer was highly carbonated. I could detect a decent malt backbone to the beer and with a lower carbonation, I reckon it'd be worth drinking again. Would like to see this one again when it's not so fizzy.

TD's Boston Lager
Balanced malt and hop aroma. No head and low/medium carbonation. Nice golden colour. Malt balanced well with the bitterness and solid hop flavour. Citrus and I could taste maybe a touch of passionfruit? Definitely my favourite of the ones I have tried so far. Didn't want this one to end.

I have also tried my own Pilsener. I'm going to continue with the decoction mash. Won't go with the all FWH again though.

Shmick's ESB: The first thing I noticed with this one is the ruby red colour - nice! As I poured it into the glass there was a moment when I wondered if it was going to produce a head but sure enough as I let it settle one rose to the surface. It has quite a toffee-like flavour, but not at all in a cloying way. I can see what Shmick is saying about some astringency but only in a very minor way, and it certainly doesn't negatively affect the beer's flavour. In fact, having another taste I am wondering if its not just a bit of alcohol "hotness". Again, it doesn't really impede on the flavour in a bad way. I don't know if anybody has tried the Hopping Mad Brewery "Ale" (the one from Orange) but I find this beer very similar, but a stronger version. All in all I really like this beer. I'd be pretty happy if I made one like this. Nicely brewed Shmick! :super:

Trent's IPA is next. 70 IBUs and 7.something % alcohol. Can't wait! :chug:

Trent's IPA: First thing I noticed was what appears to be American hops in the aroma. Is this a English or American IPA? Who cares anyway - the aroma is great whatever the style! I wouldn't pick this for a 7.4% beer - no alcohol flavours at all. Definitely plenty of body though. I may be detecting something else but I can detect a slightly musty flavour which usually points to some degree of oxidation. Its not particularly bad but its there. The carbonation fairly high but as I recall IPAs are meant to be "sparkling ales" in that they have high carbonation so its not out of style. Head retention is excellent - I am half way down the first glass and there is still a 1/4" of solid head and plenty of lacing on the glass. I just can't get over the aroma - every time I take a sip its there - great stuff! The only potential blemish is the musty-ish flavour - it may be a bad bottle or something though so I don't want to bang on too much about it, I'd be interested in hearing other people's (as well as Trent himself) opinions on this... Overall, I am really enjoying this beer. Funnily enough Trent, its very similar to an IPA I tried in BC while over in Canada recently!

Trent's IPA

Aroma: Hoppy aroma up front (funny that). But I also detect signs of an early stage infection. It smells a bit peppery and a bit salty - like the ocean? Some esters present. No malt.

Appearance: Thick head of medium fine bubbles that looks like it will hang around long after the glass has finished. The head is supported by medium carbonation in the beer itself. Colour is a dark amber and the clarity is good, with a slight touch of haze.

Flavour: POW! An initial hit of hop flavour is what I get, then a whole thumping with hop bitterness. Quickly finishing to a dry, very bitter and moderate astringent flavour. I can again taste what appears to be an early stage infection, but at this level it is not interfering with the flavour too much. Very hard to detect any malt or whatever under the mountain of hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, which does not give away the 7.4%ABV (well hidden). There's an assertive astringency that comes from the high hopping rate. The carbonation is medium, and as spot on as I can possibly hope for.

Overall: This is a distinctively bitter beer, and dare I say a little too bitter? I know you can't have an IPA thats too bitter, but it would have been good to see some malt flavours balancing out the hops. Very well attenuated. The "early stage infection" is something thats starting to puzzle me now. It initally came across as quite characteristic of Brettanomyces, but now I am not so sure. It may well be from a hop variety I am not used to, or perhaps old hops? The best I can describe this is like the ocean or perhaps seaweed. Maybe someone else knows whats going on? But overall, I am enjoying the beer, just furrowing my brow at the odd aroma.

Berp.

I've also tried Trent's IPA from the case and really enjoyed it. One of my favourites from the case so far. It is certainly a very hoppy beer - more of a double IPA than a 'straight' IPA. I think the body is fine for the style and just holds all those hops together. Certainly hop dominated, but not undrinkably so. I'm not a devotee of enormously hoppy beers as a general rule... I likes me malt :rolleyes: but I enjoyed this a lot. As TD mentioned, it reminded me of the few US craftbrewed IPAs I've had in terms of balance, although I picked up more of an English hop presence than a US one. I didn't pick up any infection, early or otherwise. It is a bottle conditioned beer and I picked up some 'yeastiness', but definitely no infection. Maybe you got a dodgy bottle berp - or maybe I got a good one - but I know an infected beer when I taste it and the bottle I tried wasn't infected.

I'm sure this beer isn't to everyone's tastes, but I thought it well brewed in that hoppy style. Thanks for sharing it Trent :)

Shawn.

n00ch's Dark Mild

Poured a deep burgandy colour. In ambient light it appears quite dark brown but backlit with a white light reveals depths of orange and red that make me anticipate the malt. Superbly clear. Looks an absolute treat in a dimpled pint mug. Fine white head that dissipates to a thin cap leaving strands of lace down the glass. Light hop and malt aroma. Some currants? from the roast malt. The flavour is full and malty. Hops and caramel on the back of the palate. This is a really nice beer.
Thanks!

I'm going to start adding my tastings in somewhat of a reverse order to which i consumed them, just because they are fresh in my mind. Tonight was Josh's Pilz.

JOSH's PILSENER

First pour was a tall glass of icecream, due to very high carbonation, so the bottle sat in the sink for a few minutes to calm down. After the initial excitement the beer poured a light yellow/straw colour and very clear and obviously quite alive in the glass. Aroma subdued but i could note some noble hops in there. the first sip made me instantly think of Duvel...! it was really nice... especially once the carbonation calmed a little. The body had a nice chewy bight to it. great beer.

KoNG

n00ch's DARK MILD

Poured a nice clear brown with a slight purple(?) hue. the nose was a slight roasted caramel malt and balanced hops. Upon tasting i was quite surprised with the overall malt profile gained from the low alc% beer, with the body also displaying these qualities. I really enjoyed this beer and would have loved to get into it with a char-grilled rump steak. yum. (instead i was having fish.. oops)

KoNG

Latest posts

Back