Nsw Xmas In July 2006 Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday all
My beer seems to have caused a little mystery a page or two back, as to whether or not it is infected, so I have decided to try it out myself. I was going to read all the reviews, and then try it, bearing most peoples comments in mind, but decided to check out to see if it was worth drinking, or telling everyone to throw out. Here is my honest review (and it may get a little long - sorry)

TRENT'S IPA

The aroma is malt with a slight hint of caramel, some yeast aroma, and a mde-high hop aroma. The aroma has an almost "citrusiness" to it, and I can see why several people have mistaken it (this one, and the IPA I made after it) for American hops. The colour is a mid amber, with a slight orange hue, and would be close to the clearest beer I have ever made! It poured with a thick white head, that subsided to a thin white head with reasonably large bubbles. The flavour? Well, it is very bitter, possibly too much so, with a med-high hop flavour that slightly masks the malt, but there is still enough malt backbone to make a showing. The flavours seem to not have melded together as they usually do, almost tasting seperate (as my mrs put it), and there is a distinct minerally flavour (possibly from the Wyeast 1028) that is very noticeable, and COULD be mistaken for a low level infection. Here, I will have to disagree with the infection prognosis, as after 3 months in the bottle, I feel that an infection would have a much more dominant than the mineraliness. There is also a flavour that could almost be described as "salty", though I think this is also to do with the yeast profile, and I could just be imagining the saltiness (I am looking fairly hard for infection flavours). There is a moderate fruitiness, and the finish is med-dry, probably partly due to the high attenuation, and partly due to the extra high bitterness, that is somewhat out of style. The bitterness lingers long into the aftertaste, though I do not find it harsh, at least not for such a high bitterness, I actually think it is kinda smooth :blink: The alcohol flavour is very clean, and not at all hot. Anyway, I think this beer displays attributes of higher sulfate water, as per BJCP guidelines, but I am pretty sure my water is low in sulfates.
It has a medium body and medium carbonation, some alcohol warming, that is smooth for 7.4%. High hopping rate could be perceived as astringent, though I dont think it is.
Overall, this beer is too bitter to be an english IPA, and needs a less assertive bitterness to allow more malt flavours to show through. The flavours have not melded together well, and the minerally flavour is too strong (it is also in all other beers I have made with 1028, though not as dominant as here). I will concede that this is not the greatest beer for the style and gravity. It is at least 10-12 IBU's too high, and the hallertauer in the dry hop didnt really do it any favours. I thikn that this is a beer almost stuck between two styles - too much bitterness and not enough maltiness to be an Engligh IPA, and not enough hop flavour, nor clean yeast profile, to be American. This beer is not great, but it is not bad, and I am certain that it is not infected with anything. Attenuation is perfect for style, and appearance is great. For improvements, I will suggest dropping the IBU's by 15, cutting down the late additions by 1/3, and dry hopping with a single type of hop. Possibly use all EKG, but to be honest, Fuggles should be fine.
I will say that this beer will probably only be liked by those that like very hoppy, agressively bitter beers, and even then, it isnt as good as it could be. It is definitely NOT for everyone, but as far as style goes, it fits the score I gave it - "generally within style parameters, some minor flaws". By that logic, though, I should have given Barry 45+ for his robust porter (world class example of style). If anybody can convince me there is an infection, and point me to a way of avoiding the same again, please do so. I am quite open to criticism of any kind, and if you have suggestions on improvement, please let me know. I will be honest and say though it is a little full on, I enjoyed it. I hope others do aswell, but if not, my apologies for putting in a beer I KNOW I can do better than. Thanks to those who have already discussed their honest opinions on my beer, it really is appreciated. I hope my spiel didnt come off as angry or defensive, as it wasnt inteded that way.
I gave this beer 33.5/50
All the best
Trent

and there is a distinct minerally flavour (possibly from the Wyeast 1028) that is very noticeable, and COULD be mistaken for a low level infection.

I find I often taste this with 1028, particularly if there is any dark malt in the grist. If you stick your head in a fermenter full of attenuated dark beer using 1028 there is a slighly salty, mineral, but sort of acetic aroma that has made me think of an infection. I dont use that yeast anymore, just don't like it. So a lot of what you describe rings true for the yeast to me.

Gday all
My beer seems to have caused a little mystery a page or two back, as to whether or not it is infected, so I have decided to try it out myself. I was going to read all the reviews, and then try it, bearing most peoples comments in mind, but decided to check out to see if it was worth drinking, or telling everyone to throw out. Here is my honest review (and it may get a little long - sorry)

TRENT'S IPA

The aroma is malt with a slight hint of caramel, some yeast aroma, and a mde-high hop aroma. The aroma has an almost "citrusiness" to it, and I can see why several people have mistaken it (this one, and the IPA I made after it) for American hops. The colour is a mid amber, with a slight orange hue, and would be close to the clearest beer I have ever made! It poured with a thick white head, that subsided to a thin white head with reasonably large bubbles. The flavour? Well, it is very bitter, possibly too much so, with a med-high hop flavour that slightly masks the malt, but there is still enough malt backbone to make a showing. The flavours seem to not have melded together as they usually do, almost tasting seperate (as my mrs put it), and there is a distinct minerally flavour (possibly from the Wyeast 1028) that is very noticeable, and COULD be mistaken for a low level infection. Here, I will have to disagree with the infection prognosis, as after 3 months in the bottle, I feel that an infection would have a much more dominant than the mineraliness. There is also a flavour that could almost be described as "salty", though I think this is also to do with the yeast profile, and I could just be imagining the saltiness (I am looking fairly hard for infection flavours). There is a moderate fruitiness, and the finish is med-dry, probably partly due to the high attenuation, and partly due to the extra high bitterness, that is somewhat out of style. The bitterness lingers long into the aftertaste, though I do not find it harsh, at least not for such a high bitterness, I actually think it is kinda smooth :blink: The alcohol flavour is very clean, and not at all hot. Anyway, I think this beer displays attributes of higher sulfate water, as per BJCP guidelines, but I am pretty sure my water is low in sulfates.
It has a medium body and medium carbonation, some alcohol warming, that is smooth for 7.4%. High hopping rate could be perceived as astringent, though I dont think it is.
Overall, this beer is too bitter to be an english IPA, and needs a less assertive bitterness to allow more malt flavours to show through. The flavours have not melded together well, and the minerally flavour is too strong (it is also in all other beers I have made with 1028, though not as dominant as here). I will concede that this is not the greatest beer for the style and gravity. It is at least 10-12 IBU's too high, and the hallertauer in the dry hop didnt really do it any favours. I thikn that this is a beer almost stuck between two styles - too much bitterness and not enough maltiness to be an Engligh IPA, and not enough hop flavour, nor clean yeast profile, to be American. This beer is not great, but it is not bad, and I am certain that it is not infected with anything. Attenuation is perfect for style, and appearance is great. For improvements, I will suggest dropping the IBU's by 15, cutting down the late additions by 1/3, and dry hopping with a single type of hop. Possibly use all EKG, but to be honest, Fuggles should be fine.
I will say that this beer will probably only be liked by those that like very hoppy, agressively bitter beers, and even then, it isnt as good as it could be. It is definitely NOT for everyone, but as far as style goes, it fits the score I gave it - "generally within style parameters, some minor flaws". By that logic, though, I should have given Barry 45+ for his robust porter (world class example of style). If anybody can convince me there is an infection, and point me to a way of avoiding the same again, please do so. I am quite open to criticism of any kind, and if you have suggestions on improvement, please let me know. I will be honest and say though it is a little full on, I enjoyed it. I hope others do aswell, but if not, my apologies for putting in a beer I KNOW I can do better than. Thanks to those who have already discussed their honest opinions on my beer, it really is appreciated. I hope my spiel didnt come off as angry or defensive, as it wasnt inteded that way.
I gave this beer 33.5/50
All the best
Trent

holy crap! its only a beer! mate...and this is just my opinion, but honestly if you care that your water is low in sulphate...then you may as well give up. Dont want to be harsh but no-one is going to read 10 thousand words about a beer brewed by that person and find out at the end of the story that that person doesnt like his own beer. Just relax man.....
Cheers
Steve

Trent.

Sort of understand what you mean to a degree. Though I haven't used the yeast for a couple of years I used to find that it would go kind of funny in the bottle over time (happened on several occasions). Periods exceeding 3 months would give the bitterness a funny, almost horridly bitter character that wasn't particularly pleasant.

As GL said it always seemed more pronounced when using darker malts in the grist too. :ph34r:

BTW You say you taste a sulfate character in the beer? I think personally if you had burtonised your water somewhat (higher sulfate content with gypsum) you'd most likely find that the bitterness becomes more agreeable, almost flinty rather than say a single/separate component so to speak.

Just my two bob's worth. It's all set to try us. :)

Warren -

Trent.

Sort of understand what you mean to a degree. Though I haven't used the yeast for a couple of years I used to find that it would go kind of funny in the bottle over time (happened on several occasions). Periods exceeding 3 months would give the bitterness a funny, almost horridly bitter character that wasn't particularly pleasant.

As GL said it always seemed more pronounced when using darker malts in the grist too. :ph34r:

BTW You say you taste a sulfate character in the beer? I think personally if you had of burtonised your water somewhat (higher sulfate content with gypsum) you'd most likely find that the bitterness becomes more agreeable, almost flinty rather than say a single/separate component so to speak.

Just my two bob's worth. It's all set to try us. :)

Warren -

Holy crap - water characteristics! Not another thing to take into consderbloodyration!. Soon as I learn something, then up pops anotherbloodything!

Trent's IPA

Trent, I tasted your IPA tonight and I agree, it has a minerally or salty flavour to it. Once my palate balanced with the water profile, I could taste the rest of the beer. Once I had adjusted to the (I assume) water profile (just a couple of big mouthfulls), I could taste the strong malt backbone of the beer, along with supporting hops and strong bitterness. I did not get the American hop impression others have talked about. It struck me as distinctly Burton, high carbonate, high sulphate with tons of hops and tons of malt. I really enjoyed it, although the Mrs didn't like it.

Ten Inch Brewery Porter

Poured a rich black colour with light tan head. Head held nicely down the glass. Bitter and roasty with a strong yeast flavour. Not enough choc or crystal, I think, but quite drinkable for its strength. Slight sourness. Nice and black, a satisfying beer.

berto's Oatmeal Stout
I think I've tasted this too early. A little sour still, and full of sulphur in the aroma. Give it more time. Anything I say now will be about a green beer.

holy crap! its only a beer! mate...and this is just my opinion, but honestly if you care that your water is low in sulphate...then you may as well give up. Dont want to be harsh but no-one is going to read 10 thousand words about a beer brewed by that person and find out at the end of the story that that person doesnt like his own beer. Just relax man.....
Cheers
Steve

Steve
I understand exactly where you are coming from, mate, and take no offense to what you are saying, but water chemistry is actually very important to beer (it is mostly water, after all). I understand that no-one is gonna wanna read a whole bollock load about a beer that I brewed, but I put it up there to give them an honest forewarning of what they could expect, as there was a suggestion earlier that it may be infected. Its not that I didnt LIKE my beer, per se, I am just used to making better (no high horse intended), and like to look at my beers honestly to note area's that can be improved. Mainly cause I dont wanna drink average beer, I would prefer to drink good, or even great beer. The closer you get to all grain, probably the more anal you will get too! And mate, when I am drinking a beer I am really enjoying (happens reasonably often, actually), I relax alot :lol:
I am glad to hear that others have had this experience with 1028. I didnt use dark malts, nor did I burtonise, but am starting to think maybe this yeast isnt really for me. Have some 1275, and will be pinching Les' 1318, and try both of those. I love my English Ales, and will be trying every english yeast to find my favourite.
Sorry about the slightly off topic post, my next posts will be reviewing beers!
All the best
Trent

and there is a distinct minerally flavour (possibly from the Wyeast 1028) that is very noticeable, and COULD be mistaken for a low level infection.

I find I often taste this with 1028, particularly if there is any dark malt in the grist. If you stick your head in a fermenter full of attenuated dark beer using 1028 there is a slighly salty, mineral, but sort of acetic aroma that has made me think of an infection. I dont use that yeast anymore, just don't like it. So a lot of what you describe rings true for the yeast to me.
Trent,

I have to agree with GL on the acetic factor, as I had a glass of your IPA last night (and left the rest in the bottle for tonight). I, however, felt that a slight infection might have got in there, due to 3 pieces of evidence.
When I poured the beer, the glass was slightly less than half foam.
There was an acetic aroma, which strangely disappeared for the bottom half of the glass. (Maybe the hop aroma dominated or the beer warmed and the acetic disappated).
For the first few sips, I could taste a slight vinegar taste.

Now, this could be a one-off unless reported by other case-tasters, so don't take it as gospel.

On the other hand, I have made several sour beers (both deliberately and involuntarily/carelessly), and I know the taste of the vinegar in my beers. I have to say that GL's tale of acetic aroma might be the case, as the level of acetic aroma in your beer was very low (compared to mine, anyway :lol: ).

Lucky I recapped the bottle and popped it back in the fridge, so I can evaluate this beer again and actually write a review (as opposed to a post-mortem :lol: ).

Seth out :p

Speaking of infections, I have now tried both PoMo's and Trents beers.

PoMo - apart from being quite a dry beer I couldn't detect any off flavours. Overall the beer went down quite well and as it warmed, like most beers, released a whole lot of aromas and flavours.

Trent - As you said an overly bitter beer - too much so. Once I got accustomed to the bitterness I found a delightful beer hiding in there. Like you said, drop the IBU's 10-15 points and you will have a great beer.

As I stated in an earlier post, I'm drinking these beers to enjoy rather than assess: Why be critical on someone's labours and endeavours when the whole intent was to share and enjoy what others have created.

Regards

Steve

Drew Carey's Pils: Well, first off, I don't want to start a war here or anything, but this is a fairly typical kit beer. But having got that off my chest, I am really enjoyiong it. I must say its a hell of a lot better than 99% of the kit beers I used to make. I would say you have the fermentation/sanitation/carbonation etc etc side of things pretty sorted. Your problem is that kits suck - AG is so much better!! :ph34r: :lol: :lol:

For the next case I actually think that I may contribute 2 beers, a partial and this beer again done correctly.

Cause deadset I feel bad I've killed it for many people who may have tried it!

Sticklers Bitter

Aroma: Light fruity aroma. Some hops and some malt, but all is very subdued. Beautiful!

Appearance: Brilliant clarity, gold colour, no head, but carbonation in the beer appears medium and creates a few bubbles on the surface.

Flavour: Initially fruity and underlying malt flavour that quickly develops to an assertively bitter beer. Finish is very bitter, dry and otherwise clean. Balance is initially towards he malt but quickly overtaken by the hops. Slightly sour touch to it.

Mouthfeel: thin body, as you would expect in this style. Theres a good deal of astringency in here. It appears the hopping rate is high, so you might epect some astringency, but this is on the high end.

Overall: An excellent bitter, Stickler! Its right on for the style. The only suggestions I have are to watch out for sources of astringency (eg. oversparging), also there is a sour note to it, but dunno where its coming from. But overall, well done Stickler, this is a great beer!

Berp.

Hmmm
Maybe there is something to be said for just sitting and enjoying a beer, rather than reviewing it! Was going to drink POL's contibution last night, but couldnt be bothered to write a review, so I left it till tonight. I had bled the excess pressure off twice, and just went to get it for drinking, and it has exploded. :( Anybody that hasnt been bleeding the pressure, or hasnt drunk it yet, might be best off getting to it. I was quite looking forward to that one too. Oh well, not to worry. Sorry I didnt get to it earlier, POL
All the best
Trent

Hmmm
Maybe there is something to be said for just sitting and enjoying a beer, rather than reviewing it! Was going to drink POL's contibution last night, but couldnt be bothered to write a review, so I left it till tonight. I had bled the excess pressure off twice, and just went to get it for drinking, and it has exploded. :( Anybody that hasnt been bleeding the pressure, or hasnt drunk it yet, might be best off getting to it. I was quite looking forward to that one too. Oh well, not to worry. Sorry I didnt get to it earlier, POL
All the best
Trent
Trent

I had this beer on Sunday afternoon. A bit gassy but not enough to cause explosion! I had about a 2-3 cm head in a schooner glass.

Must have got a good 'un!

Cheers, POL and Trent

Stephen

I opened PoL's beer last Wednesday. It gushed a bit. I let it sit for 5 minutes, then recapped it and put it in the fridge till Sunday. It was still overcarbonated but not too bad. By the end of the beer it was just right and you could taste the beer. Really yummy stuff, PoL. Smooth and malty. I wished I had more.

I am drinking Chilled's Aussie lager now. All I can say is this is about as close to Cascade Premium as I imagine is possible! That's both a good thing and a bad thing mind you!! :p Cascade premium is a nice beer (one of my favourite Aussie premium lagers), but its a little bland in many ways too. But I must say I am really enjoying this beer. There's certainly something about it that just nails the cascade taste.

Chilled, can you post the recipe?

Shmicks - ESB

This beer presented very well, clear, lively and a great deep copper red. I did not note any aroma so to speak but the low carbonation (perfect carbonation for me) may have played a role in that. If anything i noted a little alcohol when i shoved my big nose in the glass. Flavours gave a slight alcohol warmth too and a somewhat meaty caramel sweet maltiness which was great. The sweetness seemed to linger for me.
I really enjoyed this beer Shmick... :chug:

KoNG

Good day
Just enjoyed Trent's IIPA
Drank at 9 to 11oC, second last glass with Al Martino's pizzas.

Appearance: Very clear, rich amber, good head, medium high carbonation. Looks great.

Aroma: Strong herbal grassy hop aroma, clean, some esters and yeast character, to style.

Flavour: Clean, intense hop bitterness and flavour, some sweet malt balances well, dry bitter lingering finish, medium+ carbonation. Very bitter but no harshness, to character. Very much to IIPA style.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation OK for style, smooth no astringency, to style

Overall: Bloody big beer to style. Bitterness is full on but to style, hard to stop drinking, no more left! Guess I just stopped. :party:

40/50.

HomeBrewWorlds - Irish red

Poured a very light copper/amber, the first sip was malt driven with limited aroma or hops notable. Maybe a slight tangy aftertaste from the chosen yeast.? Low carbonation suited the style.... and resulted in an easy drinking beer. :)

Kongs English Bitter

Aroma: Malty aroma initially. Has a slight chlorine tinge which is probably the variety of hops. Subtle chocolatey malt aroma. Some alcohol.

Appearance: Clear. Medium head of fine bubbles. Should be a lasting head too that is supported by medium/high carbonation in the beer. Dark amber colour.

Flavour: Chocolatey aroma comes through as one of the first flavours. Quickly develops to an intense bitterness, which lingers after the finish. Finish is clean and dry and bitter. Hop flavour is there as a secondary complexity under the malt producing a well balanced beer as far as the malt and hop flavour go.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Some hint of alcohol warmth. Carbonation is high and gives a carbonation bite a bit too high.

Overall: I think the bitterness is high in this one. The carbonation is also on the high side. Apart from that, I am really loving the chocolatey malt flavour and aroma. It blends really well with the hop flavour. The more I drink this, the less I am concerned about the bitterness level. It tends to mellow out after half a glass. At the end of the bottle I have no problems with the bitterness and think it was more likely my palate at the beginning. Well done, Kong!

Berp.

Latest posts

Back