Nsw Xmas Case 2007 - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#13 - floppinab's Bitter

Dark brown in colour with a nice ruby hue in the light, almost into porter territory. The beer is brilliantly clear and holds a great head. Lots of burnt toffee notes on the nose. The sweet dark malts follow through in the flavour with hardly a trace of roast. The bitterness and mouthfeel are perfect for the style, as is the carbonation. Top shelf beer thanks floppinab, reminds me a lot of Theakston's Old Peculiar. Wonderful drinking.

A few have tasted my brew now so probably time to respond.
Thanks for the comments, generally I was pretty happy with how it turned out myself. I've just posted the "recipe" in the other thread. It was an extract brew, though with the full boil I had hoped that might reduce any extracyness in it. In some lighter extract brews I've made, even with the full boil it's still there so I was keen to get a fair bit of those darker malts in there to hide any extracyness, I can't pick it too much in this brew.

I think it's a bit low in bitterness myself to get it properly into bitter territory so I'd be upping that if I made it again and probably backing off the Choccy malt a bit which I think dominates probably a little too much.

23. monkeybusiness - something like a foreign extra stout
Very thin head that disappeared very quickly - too low for the style?. Coffee and chocolate notes in the aroma. Dark and medium-thick bodied. It was really quite sweet which probably contributed more to my impression of chocolate. Smooth and rich (probably the sweetness). A great job monkeybusiness! Thanks.

26. n00ch - Foreign Extra Stout (Wyeast 1084)- Don't drink until christmas atleast,
Poured thick and black with a medium head. Hint of licorice aroma and taste. A little warmth in the face from the alcohol. Bitter, dry finish that kind of overpowered the malt a bit for me. A well made beer that I've enjoyed greatly. Thanks Nooch

P.S. It's the last of my case so thanks again to everyone!!!

26A- Hefeweizen (Wheast 3068)

Poured very pale and crystal clear. Aroma was belgian like. Not very experienced with hefeweizen but this was delicious. There seemed to be a lovely balance between maltiness and the yeast flavours. Not too wheaty (for my tastes). Fabulous beer nOOch.

Thanks
Andrew.

Peve, had your apa the other day after a long days painting the ceiling. mate it was just what I needed. Bright, burnished gold, fine head, good carbonation, american hop aroma and a hop flavour that wasn't OTT (like a few in last years case). Thanks.

Barramundi, tried yours last night. Coppery gold colour, effervescent some hop and malt aromas. Unfortunately I got phenolics (medicinal/bandaid) in the flavour which kept putting me off. Sorry, I couldn't get past the 1st glass.

Peve, had your apa the other day after a long days painting the ceiling.

You too eh, and Tony a week back!!!!! Just finished the middle boys' bedroom yesterday. Isn't this time of year meant to be about having a holiday????

P.S. It's the last of my case so thanks again to everyone!!!
Dang! Looks like i've fallen behind on my 3 week absence. Gonna have to get stuck into them quick smart over the next couple of weeks. Sounds I have many more tasty treats to look forward to by the comments everyones made.

You too eh, and Tony a week back!!!!! Just finished the middle boys' bedroom yesterday. Isn't this time of year meant to be about having a holiday????
yeah, more to go too - now 1 room is done, the rest look crappy :( Back to work now & the pace is faster than before xmas - which was frantic :angry:

Gav, tried your esb last night - yum. Like most english styles, it got better as it warmed. Dark copper colour medium fine head, subdued malt aroma. Well balanced flavour with clean finish. Thanks

Gulpa, had your APA yesterday arvo, coppery gold highly carbed with fine head. medium level of american hop aroma. some malt flavour but with expected american hop flavours which were at the level I like ie not too much. There was a distinct, but not overpowering phenolic flavour which detracted, but not to the level that I couldn't finish the bottle.

I worked harder on my ollidays than at work...... but thought a whole lot less which took me the till the third week to wind down from. My head was still racing in the second week of hols and when i finally relaxed i find my self in a coal mine server room fighting off sleep <_<

Tried my second last of the swap tonight.

12. Kabooby - belgian dubbel.

please excuse the spelling as i had had a few after finding 2 brews (lagers including my 1.103 dubbelbock) at 25 deg after i forgot to turn the freezer on a day or 2 ago) and then this!

It was fantastic, Better than anything i can brew at the momnet.

I would f#%k up a glass of water if you handed it to me these days and am on the verge of going back to buying beer so this was a treat.

It was malty sweet but not cloying. i could not detect any alcahol but it got me fairly pissed :) so that was great.

It was perfectly ballanced with a smooth bitterness that was well hidden behing the malt but held it up nicly.

THe malt......... ahhh the malt. Sweet rich malty chjaracter with some deep plum like fruitiness(very slight and pleasant) and a himt of chocolate nuttiness in teh fissish as the beer warmed up.

Bugger all hops whish was a nice and to style.

I really enjoyed theis beer. Only one thing.... i would have liked to see a tad more yeast character. maybe a deg or 2 more at firment time.

I would love to see the recipe for this beer and the mash and firment temps. I really enjoyed the character of the 550 yeast. I ahve been planning a nice dubbel as its my fav belgian style and this yeast did it well.

cheers

PS... one left.........keiths monstrosity :)

Brew: #10 Brewer - Blonde lager(WLP 830)

Served chilled in glass.
Good pilsner sort of nose, soft citrus and spicy hop character, bready malt. Pours a nice bright golden body with fluffy white heading leaving lace that seems to want hang around. Reasonably lean bodied, moderate carbonation, smooth body. Well balanced body, only the slightest hint of bready malt sweetness, some nice citrus character, a touch of spice on a reasonably bitter finish, not too dry. I must say this seems like a well-made and enjoyable lager. Thanks alot Brewer!

Brew: #16 HomeBrewWorld.com - American P.A. (EzyBrew Fresh Wort, 514 Dry Yeast)

Served chilled in glass.
Biscuity malt on the nose, an odd medicinal note, seems almost like burnt plastic, a bit of citrus. Hazy amber body with dense off-white collar. Low carbonation, a touch tingley on the palate, some clingy malt. Toffeeish malt straight up, quite sweet, a hint of citrus hops with that odd medical note hanging around in the background. Drinkable but there's something in there a bit offputting, which spoils it a bit i'm afraid.

Cheers!

Thanks Tony for the kind review. I enjoyed your beer aswell :rolleyes:

I will add the mash profile and ferment temps to the recipe in the recipe thread

I only added 30g Hallertauer @ 15 mins so that there wasnt much hop flavour or aroma. Wanted the yeast to stand out

Will definately try that with the yeast next time

I have still got a few bottles of this left. Might leave them for a while and see how they age

Kabooby :)

My last beer of the swap.

Keiths Farmhose ale thingy.

Kids are in bed, time to relax. Dug out my old hand blown belgian WA trellace that i save for the big belgian like beers as it it as found as my face at the rim... great for sniffing as you sip!

Poured it in and it looked great, a hazy deep golden with some copperish orange in there. head looked pronising for 3 seconds then fized out like a head on a glass of coke...... gone, completly, never to be seen again. carb was great..... just no head? never seen a beer lose it so fast?

Didnt put me off though....... i dont drink a beer like ths for the head retention :)

first taste..........WOW! Alcahol, a bit hot, a bit tart but smooth in the finnish........ and thats just the alcahol! The beer has a rich aroma of yeast and sweet malt. no deep malt like the big belgian darks but it didnt need them. no hops that i can detect but who needs them with all the alcahol.

Its warmed up now in the bottle, the first glass didnt last too long.

Second glass the head lasted shorter. it was like coke......... gone!

the yeast character and especiallly the alcahol came out to play when hotter. they wernt as smooth but were far from unpleasant.

I enjoyed the beer mate........... shame the beer didnt hold a head.

It looked like it had an oily top to it when poured. The beer glass was clean and after readinmg other reviews i dont think its an isolated incident.

maybe something in the bottles?

cheers

Keiths_mostrosity__824_x_549_.jpg

5 - Gulpa's Pale Ale

It poured a gorgeous shade of deep golden with great clarity and a tall standing head which laced all the way down. There is a great citrus hop aroma with some softer fruity undertones. The hop flavour leads and lasts right through to the finish, competing with a pleasant maltiness. The carbonation is spot on and the finish is dry and crisp. An absolute cracker of a beer thanks Gulpa, top darts.

ps - no sign of the infection others have found. My bottle was as clean as a whistle.

20 - Trent's Brown Porter

A darkish shade of brown, brilliantly clear with a small off white head which held on to the death. The aroma is a delightful mix of fruity yeast character and coffee dark malts. An touch of initial sweetness is quickly complimented by a big toffee and coffee flavoured malt feast. The finish is crisp with lingering dark malts and a perfectly balanced bitterness. Outstanding beer thanks Trent, my highlight of the case so far.

10 - Brewer's Blonde Lager

Very pale, super clear and a most excellent long lasting white head. There is a complex hop aroma with citrus and lychees and other tropical fruits. There is just a touch of sulphur in there too but it's very minor and doesn't detract from the overall. The hop flavour is firm up front, fading back into a pleasing maltiness through the middle with a slightly sweet finish. The carbonation and mouthfeel are perfect. This is a wonderfully balanced and drinkable beer. I enjoyed your last case beer and this one has well and truly topped it. Great beer thanks Brewer.

#4. Barramundi - SWAPALE (US-05)
Served chilled in glass.
Poured a nice clean bright gold body with thick white head and lace that hung around until the end. Some mild spicy citrus on the nose. Decent carbonation, lean bodied, reasonably low bitterness, goes down easy. A touch of grainy malt on the body, with some citrusy hop character on the finish. I actually thought this was a pilsner of sorts, enjoyable regardless. Cheers!

#21. Thommo - Cream Ale (Nottingham)
Served chilled in glass.
Effervescent hazy apple juice-coloured body with a small foamy white head. Oddly fruity nose, apple and pear, an orange citrusy note, a touch of bread. Spritzy with carbonation, thin sort of body, has a drying texture. A yeasty bread flavour is prominant on the body, a cidery/citrusy note crops up and seems to finish abrupt and dry. I wasn't really too sure what to expect from a cream ale... is it similiar to something like a Kolsch? Interesting beer anyway Thommo, glad someone tried something a bit different and I didn't mind this...after some initial skepticism. :blink:

Well...... Stuster just made my day! He is arriving in Canberra tomorrow with my case :party:
Oh its going to be a long horrible weekend starting at 4.30pm tomorrow afternoon :chug:
Cheers young Fella!
Steve

16 - homebrewworld.com's APA

A lovely copper colour, very clear and a loose white head which contracted and lasted well. There is a faint hop aroma, perhaps I've left it too long in the bottle. There is a little yeast character there too and some toffee aromas in the background. There is some hop flavour up front, a little harsh feeling but it falls away to reveal a great malt profile which lingers well. There is something in the finish I can't put my finger on, perhaps a little metallic? The bitterness is fairly solid and a little rough yet still keeps the beer in balance. An enjoyable beer thanks Garry, I hope your customers think the same.

26 - n00ch's FES

Well, it's certainly black so I'll assume I didn't get the hefe. It's in fact very black, black enough to suck in light from the room around it. The missus thought we were having a brownout until I finished the pint. I digress, now back to the beer. The tan coloured head stood tall and provided some admirable lacing on the way down. On closer examination, it appears I too have scored some hop flower. Outstanding! There is plenty of dark malt on the nose, not burnt-like but complex and fruity, sort of stewed fruit and rum-soaked xmas cake. The first thing up front is a bit of carbonation prickle, perhaps the carb is a little on the high side but it's not too much of a problem. The flavour is ever so smooth with complex dark malts giving plenty of character. The roast is present but not over the top, allowing the other malt flavours to shine. There is a touch of warming alcohol in there, this would make a most excellent beer on a winter night. The bitterness is very well balanced and the mouthfeel is medium full yet still quite drinkable. A wonderfully complex and satisfying beer thanks n00ch, every mouthful was a pleasure. Cheers.

Brew: #13. floppinab - English Bitter (Nottingham)

Served chilled in glass.
Clean copper body, fluffy off-white head. Fragrant hops on nose, slightly grassy and citrusy, a good dose of grainy malts in the background, typically nutty and caramel-like. Medium body, good carbonation and smooth mouthfeel. Grainy malt body, some toffee and slightly roasted/burnt malt seemingly compliments the overall flavour, earthy grassy hop character, finishes dry reasonably bitter. Nice beer, could almost pass as an English brown.
Thanks for sharing this brew Gav!

Brew: #24. MVZoom - Clayton Koelsch

Served chilled in glass.
Clean pale gold body with white foam. Bread on the nose, some sort of citric note, not a great deal else. Lean palate, decent carbonation, dry bodied. Slight apple note on the body, grainy bread, a touch of citrus zest. Bitterness is low, finishes chalky dry. Not my favourite style but this is definately the nicest i've tried to date. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back