Nsw Xmas 2010 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
17. Gulpa - AIPA - ?% (strongish I think) - Pacman yeast - Bottled 22/11
Poured a cloudy dark brown with a nice sized tan coloured head than hung around quite a while. On the nose rosemary, apricot and other stone fruits are plentiful.
On the palate the ramp up is smooth and short before hitting with some fruit, pine and herb type flavours before dying out leaving a mild pine bitterness.

I can definitely see the Pacman qualities in this one it shares a lot of flavours and aromas with other brews I have had made with this yeast.

After riding home on a sweltering train with no aircon this beer was much enjoyed and appreciated. :)

Many Thanks!

....Any chance of a peak at the recipe?.
Cheers
Sorry this is late - had to find the book and then had to find this thread again, not so easy for me obviously :rolleyes: .

Hope this is enough detail ...

Maris Otter 3.4Kg (93%)
Bairds Crystal 270g (7%)
5g Gypsum (results in about 50ppm Calcium for my water)

Single infusion mash @ 66C / 60mins (no mashout just raised temp after pulling the bag out to strain :icon_cheers: )

I did get 92% efficiency into the brew kettle with this one. :blink:

35 IBU calculated - after allowing for the 5-10 min whirlpool this is about 2-3 points higher.
Northdown (9.8%AA) 24g @ 60min
EKG(4.8%AA) 15g @ 30min
EKG(4.8%AA) 15g @ 0min
Irish moss 1/2tb @ 15min
(I did a hot whirlpool for 5 mins before chilling with plate chiller)

Yeast - WY1318 smackpack

Fermentation schedule:
8days @ 20C
6 days @ 18C

OG. 1.042
FG 1.010
ABV 4.1%

Cheers Brad.

P.S. I've book marked this now so that I can find it again.

17. Gulpa - AIPA - ?% (strongish I think) - Pacman yeast - Bottled 22/11
Poured a cloudy dark brown with a nice sized tan coloured head than hung around quite a while. On the nose rosemary, apricot and other stone fruits are plentiful.
On the palate the ramp up is smooth and short before hitting with some fruit, pine and herb type flavours before dying out leaving a mild pine bitterness.

I can definitely see the Pacman qualities in this one it shares a lot of flavours and aromas with other brews I have had made with this yeast.

After riding home on a sweltering train with no aircon this beer was much enjoyed and appreciated. :)

Many Thanks!

Thanks Shh, glad you enjoyed it. Agree the pacman is quite distinctive, Im enjoying the beers I made with it.

cheers
Andrew.

26. Lokpikn ( Dark Wheat beer )

Just finished this one after a long hot day, very nice thanks. Again, it was gone all too soon.

Thanks

nifty

OK, finally found my notes, and have decided to keep them in Excel now so that I don't lose them again. :lol: I haven't made it all the way through, but here are my notes so far - sorry for the uneducated palate :rolleyes:

15 - Fatzgodzilla (Kozel Dark Lager)
Head : Fair head, slight lacing of glass, dissipated slowly
Aroma : Fairly clean, little malt or other aroma, very slight hint of raisans and roast
Flavour : Very clean, slight roast flavour, Dry finish.
Overall : Not a truly complex beer but easy to drink for a dark.

20 - Bjorn J (Galaxy "Not to far away")
Head : Fair head, large bubbles, disspates slowish and slight lacing on glass
Aroma : Very slight passionfruit smell, also yeasty smell (Coopers esk) - could have been my pour
Flavour : Clean, low malts. Has a yeasty taste al la Coopers
Overall : Sort of tastes like coopers, but I didn't roll beforehand. Good drop - I got distracted on the pour though.

22 - Cortez The Killer (Flying Ninja Squirrel IPA)
Head : Very small bubles and laced the glass
Aroma : Very pleasing Citrusy smell
Flavour : Lovely Spicy and Malty flavour. Bitterness and malt perfectly balanced
Overall : I would definitely drink this again - not too much since it knocked me around a little. Drank this with a couple of visiting American friends who likes AIPAs and while they both liked it, one liked #17 better and one liked this one - I liked both)

17 - Gulpa (AIPA)
Head : Very small bubles and laced the glass - lacying not as stable as 22 but close
Aroma : Same as 22 but less
Flavour : On the bitter side for me, but one of the American friends wanted another couple of bottles
Overall : I little bitter for my palette at the moment, but still enjoyed it. Having this and #22 on the same day was fairly special and the Alc% may have impacted my senses.

26 - Lokpikn (Dark Wheat beer)
Head : Very small compact bubbles that laced the glass
Aroma : Fruity esters
Flavour : Very clean and a little dry on the palate
Overall : The dry finish made me want more.

24 - Johnnyanchovy (Not sure - AIPA?)
Head : Fair head that disipated quickly
Aroma : Fair citrusy smells with a bit of cut grass smell
Flavour : On the bitter balance. Tased almost like rock melon.
Overall : If you like rock melon, you'll love it, I don't but it is a nice enough beer

16 - Syd_03 (Golden ale)
Head : Lovely small/miniscule bubbles that laced the glalss and needed rubbing to remove!
Aroma : Un-believable! It had passionfruit, orange zest and a touch of malt
Flavour : Totally awesome. Malt backboned was matched with slight fruit.
Overall : Every sip made me want more. By the time I had finished the bottle I was wanting another.

18 - Smiley (Chezh pilsner)
Head : Tight head that disipated quickly
Aroma : Got a little malt and slightly spicy
Flavour : More malt on the tongue with bitterness that came on after drinking rather than up front
Overall : Very refresshing beer, not overpowering and easy to drink - had this one on a hot day - lovely

11 - Thommo (Porter)
Head : Low level of head to go with the lower carbonation - bang on style. Head did stay around though
Aroma : Couldn't place it, maybe a dark smoked fruit?
Flavour : Very complex smoked flavour.
Overall : Took a little to get used to the smoked flavour (new to me) but absolutely loved it - would be great with a BBQ.

Can't wait to continue with the other beers if this is the standard and can't wait for next time

Regards,
Brad.

:D glad you enjoyed it

18. Smiley -Chezh pilsner bottled 18th November

I just knocked this one over and I really enjoyed it.

It went down pretty easy on a hot afternoon.

thanks

nifty

TThanks ..good comments and glad you enjoyed..

OK, finally found my notes, and have decided to keep them in Excel now so that I don't lose them again. :lol: I haven't made it all the way through, but here are my notes so far - sorry for the uneducated palate :rolleyes:

15 - Fatzgodzilla (Kozel Dark Lager)
Head : Fair head, slight lacing of glass, dissipated slowly
Aroma : Fairly clean, little malt or other aroma, very slight hint of raisans and roast
Flavour : Very clean, slight roast flavour, Dry finish.
Overall : Not a truly complex beer but easy to drink for a dark.

20 - Bjorn J (Galaxy "Not to far away")
Head : Fair head, large bubbles, disspates slowish and slight lacing on glass
Aroma : Very slight passionfruit smell, also yeasty smell (Coopers esk) - could have been my pour
Flavour : Clean, low malts. Has a yeasty taste al la Coopers
Overall : Sort of tastes like coopers, but I didn't roll beforehand. Good drop - I got distracted on the pour though.

22 - Cortez The Killer (Flying Ninja Squirrel IPA)
Head : Very small bubles and laced the glass
Aroma : Very pleasing Citrusy smell
Flavour : Lovely Spicy and Malty flavour. Bitterness and malt perfectly balanced
Overall : I would definitely drink this again - not too much since it knocked me around a little. Drank this with a couple of visiting American friends who likes AIPAs and while they both liked it, one liked #17 better and one liked this one - I liked both)

17 - Gulpa (AIPA)
Head : Very small bubles and laced the glass - lacying not as stable as 22 but close
Aroma : Same as 22 but less
Flavour : On the bitter side for me, but one of the American friends wanted another couple of bottles
Overall : I little bitter for my palette at the moment, but still enjoyed it. Having this and #22 on the same day was fairly special and the Alc% may have impacted my senses.

26 - Lokpikn (Dark Wheat beer)
Head : Very small compact bubbles that laced the glass
Aroma : Fruity esters
Flavour : Very clean and a little dry on the palate
Overall : The dry finish made me want more.

24 - Johnnyanchovy (Not sure - AIPA?)
Head : Fair head that disipated quickly
Aroma : Fair citrusy smells with a bit of cut grass smell
Flavour : On the bitter balance. Tased almost like rock melon.
Overall : If you like rock melon, you'll love it, I don't but it is a nice enough beer

16 - Syd_03 (Golden ale)
Head : Lovely small/miniscule bubbles that laced the glalss and needed rubbing to remove!
Aroma : Un-believable! It had passionfruit, orange zest and a touch of malt
Flavour : Totally awesome. Malt backboned was matched with slight fruit.
Overall : Every sip made me want more. By the time I had finished the bottle I was wanting another.

18 - Smiley (Chezh pilsner)
Head : Tight head that disipated quickly
Aroma : Got a little malt and slightly spicy
Flavour : More malt on the tongue with bitterness that came on after drinking rather than up front
Overall : Very refresshing beer, not overpowering and easy to drink - had this one on a hot day - lovely

11 - Thommo (Porter)
Head : Low level of head to go with the lower carbonation - bang on style. Head did stay around though
Aroma : Couldn't place it, maybe a dark smoked fruit?
Flavour : Very complex smoked flavour.
Overall : Took a little to get used to the smoked flavour (new to me) but absolutely loved it - would be great with a BBQ.

Can't wait to continue with the other beers if this is the standard and can't wait for next time

Regards,
Brad.

Beer: 1. Barls Summer Braggot
Date: 24th January 11
Details: 750mL with nice label, gold cap 1
Sampling Notes:
Bit of gushing on opening. Pours a good couple of inches of loose white foam sitting atop a murky honey-gold body.

Subtle aroma; floral honey notes in there, some peppery phenolic and slight funky barnyard note.

Carbonation quite high, palate starts quite thick and rich yet dries out with phenolic astringency.

Malt sweetness combines with honeyed notes of dried apricot and golden syrup. Finishes with a hint of floral honey vanilla and orange blossom, and a woody clove-like phenolic note that strikes as just a bit wild(Brett?).

Interesting brew Barls, as always! Certainly get the honey element, with the malt certainly taking a backseat. Id be interesting to know what yeast you used, theres some sort of slightly Belgian yeast phenolic action in there. Cheers!

Beer: 13. Monkeybusiness - attenuation nutbags irish red
Date: 3rd February 11
Details: 750mL, gold cap 13 - 6.7% - Brewed 2/11/10 - Bottled 23/11/10 - Wy1084
Sampling Notes:
Pours a reddened cola coloured body, clarity is decent, with an off-white foam that dissipates in a hurry.

Nutty aroma, good dose of toffee malt, hint of bitter chocolate malt and earthy hop.

Medium body, somewhat leaner than strength would imply. Moderate carbonation, slight stickiness to the texture, moreso when served cool.

Much of nose same on the body; brown sugar, roasted walnuts, woody stalk hop character, perhaps a dash of diacetyl butterscotch, but more complimentary that anything else. Finishes dry, balanced bitterness, a touch of booze on warming.

For me, Irish red really is somewhat of an esoteric style, where achieving that red colour seems to be a large part of the goal, and the rest is a beer is sweet and malty and could well fall into several other catagories. Either way, and despite my ramblings, this beer fits the goal of being suitable red and having a good malt character. Just wish it wasnt 40C out! Cheers MB

Beer: 1. Barls Summer Braggot
Date: 24th January 11
Details: 750mL with nice label, gold cap 1
Sampling Notes:
Bit of gushing on opening. Pours a good couple of inches of loose white foam sitting atop a murky honey-gold body.

Subtle aroma; floral honey notes in there, some peppery phenolic and slight funky barnyard note.

Carbonation quite high, palate starts quite thick and rich yet dries out with phenolic astringency.

Malt sweetness combines with honeyed notes of dried apricot and golden syrup. Finishes with a hint of floral honey vanilla and orange blossom, and a woody clove-like phenolic note that strikes as just a bit wild(Brett?).

Interesting brew Barls, as always! Certainly get the honey element, with the malt certainly taking a backseat. Id be interesting to know what yeast you used, theres some sort of slightly Belgian yeast phenolic action in there. Cheers!
the yeast is white labs 515 antwerp ale. there might have been a little bit of brett that got in to it as the other half definitely has it. sorry it gushed, havent had that happen on any of the others.

25. Boris, Brown Rye Ale, 5.1%, Brewed 15/10, Bottled 14/11, RTD mid Dec 2010

Great beer.
BBQ on the balcony, waited to after sunset hoping it would drop below 40 C.
It did. Barely.

Had the case swap beer from Boris, I'd been looking forward to trying a Rye beer.
It was dark, ruby-red when help up to the light, not brown. Nice and clear when holding it up to the light, as you do.
Noticed my 1.5 y/o daughter held her Fanta can up to the light at the same time, she is picking this beer tasting up nicely :rolleyes:

Good foam, nice and clean. Tastes a bit like a golden ale but darker and with more roasty tones?
Very nice, easy-drinking.

thanks Boris, really enjoyed a dark beer with a good dose of flavour while still being easy-drinking in the heat.

Thanks
Bjorn

the yeast is white labs 515 antwerp ale. there might have been a little bit of brett that got in to it as the other half definitely has it. sorry it gushed, havent had that happen on any of the others.
actually after tasting a bottle of this half of the batch with keith, i think what you are picking up is the yeast adding a little clove to the flavour not brett.

Hi Bjorn,

Glad you enjoyed it.
cheers,
boris

25. Boris, Brown Rye Ale, 5.1%, Brewed 15/10, Bottled 14/11, RTD mid Dec 2010

Great beer.
BBQ on the balcony, waited to after sunset hoping it would drop below 40 C.
It did. Barely.

Had the case swap beer from Boris, I'd been looking forward to trying a Rye beer.
It was dark, ruby-red when help up to the light, not brown. Nice and clear when holding it up to the light, as you do.
Noticed my 1.5 y/o daughter held her Fanta can up to the light at the same time, she is picking this beer tasting up nicely :rolleyes:

Good foam, nice and clean. Tastes a bit like a golden ale but darker and with more roasty tones?
Very nice, easy-drinking.

thanks Boris, really enjoyed a dark beer with a good dose of flavour while still being easy-drinking in the heat.

Thanks
Bjorn

Beer: 12. Sydneyhappyhour - Choc Mint Stout - Sweet Stout
Date: 6th February 11
Details: 640mL red cap 12 - 5.6% - Bottled 21/11/2010
Sampling Notes:
Opens with a convincing pop. Pours out big tan foam atop a thick dark brown body.

Quite rich aroma; treacle-like upfront, cocoa and earthy, tobacco leaf like hop.

Reasonably thick chewy sort of texture, medium carbonation with a full body.

Burnt sugar sweetness on the body carries through, roasted nut and chocolate malts, bit of cola with dried leafy hop and hint of green herbaceousness. Finishes with moderate-to-low bitterness, lingering cocoa roastiness.

Certainly what I was expecting; dont come across many sweet stouts, and I had to remind myself that this was a stout on occasions because it certainly doesnt have those acrid roasted malt characters. Didnt really get any mint, but I think that wouldve actually spoiled what is a tasty dark ale. Cheers SHH!

Beer: 12. Sydneyhappyhour - Choc Mint Stout - Sweet Stout
Details: 640mL red cap 12 - 5.6% - Bottled 21/11/2010
Sampling Notes:
Opens with a convincing pop. Pours out big tan foam atop a thick dark brown body.

Quite rich aroma; treacle-like upfront, cocoa and earthy, tobacco leaf like hop.

Reasonably thick chewy sort of texture, medium carbonation with a full body.

Burnt sugar sweetness on the body carries through, roasted nut and chocolate malts, bit of cola with dried leafy hop and hint of green herbaceousness. Finishes with moderate-to-low bitterness, lingering cocoa roastiness.

Certainly what I was expecting; dont come across many sweet stouts, and I had to remind myself that this was a stout on occasions because it certainly doesnt have those acrid roasted malt characters. Didnt really get any mint, but I think that wouldve actually spoiled what is a tasty dark ale. Cheers SHH!
I have noticed the bottles of that brew that were in standard longnecks seem to have a much foamier head and less of a minty taste than the ones in the swing tops which had a finer head with a more aggressive minty taste and aroma. Not sure what would cause such a difference, may my bulk prime wasn't 100% consistent but a noticeable difference seems to be there. I wanted to brew this since I saw it in "Radical Brewing", glad to hear feedback on it not 100% sure i like the mint in there myself!

Thanks for the feedback Muggus! Much appreciated.

Beer: 11. Thommo - Porter
Details: 750mL bottle, gold cap 11 bottled 13/11/10
Sampling Notes:
Pours out an attractive near black body with persistent inch of tan head.

Big waft of green apple upfront, but it quickly dissipates to reveal restrained notes of charcoal-like roasted malt and perhaps a hint of earthy British hop.

Nice smooth silky texture, medium carbonation with a full body and excellent length of flavour on the palate.

More open on the body revealing notes of cocoa, walnut, charred bread and the odd port-like ester. Lingering roasted/charcoal note to the finish, not all too drying or bitter; well balanced.

Highly approachable and well-flavoured porter that ticks all the boxes for me. Cheers Thommo!

Beer: 17. Gulpa - AIPA
Date: 8th February 11
Details: 750mL bottle, gold cap 17 - Pacman yeast - Bottled 22/11
Sampling Notes:
Good loud opening. Pours a very persistent off-white head atop an ominously murky copper body.

Punchy aroma packed full of resiny hops; grapefruit, pine sap, ripe melon and stonefruit. Biscuity malt presence in the background.

Thick chewy malt texture that hangs in the mouth for seemingly an eternity, with a racy carbonation that hits the bitterness and booze home.

Rich caramel malts provide a good dose of sweetness with a touch of nut and biscuit complexity. Almost enough to deal with the onslaught of woody, resiny, leafy, citrusy American hops that follow with notes of apricot and cedar. Finishes with an aggressive lingering bitterness. Alcohol is restrained.

Yeehaa, this is a serious IPA! Lots of hops, as expected, but the malt character holds its own which is certainly a welcome change. Great stuff Andrew, cheers!

Beer: 17. Gulpa - AIPA
Details: 750mL bottle, gold cap 17 - Pacman yeast - Bottled 22/11
Sampling Notes:
Good loud opening. Pours a very persistent off-white head atop an ominously murky copper body.

Punchy aroma packed full of resiny hops; grapefruit, pine sap, ripe melon and stonefruit. Biscuity malt presence in the background.

Thick chewy malt texture that hangs in the mouth for seemingly an eternity, with a racy carbonation that hits the bitterness and booze home.

Rich caramel malts provide a good dose of sweetness with a touch of nut and biscuit complexity. Almost enough to deal with the onslaught of woody, resiny, leafy, citrusy American hops that follow with notes of apricot and cedar. Finishes with an aggressive lingering bitterness. Alcohol is restrained.

Yeehaa, this is a serious IPA! Lots of hops, as expected, but the malt character holds its own which is certainly a welcome change. Great stuff Andrew, cheers!

Cheers Mike, glad you enjoyed it.

Andrew.

Beer: 24. Johnnyanchovy - Lucky dip!
Details: 750mL bottle, gold cap 24
Sampling Notes:
Presents an orange copper body with uniform haze. White head dissipates relatively quickly.

Interesting nose; cooked citrus, clove, nutmeg, dried apricot, some leafiness about it, add in some rich dark brown sugar like caramelised malt. At first I was thinking AIPA, but then I realise this could be a spiced pumpkin beerI may be wrong

Carbonation quite low, thick oily body, full and quite rich yet well rounded.

Sweet cake-like malt backbone plays host to earthy spice notes of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, and slightly odd cooked vegetal and dried apricot and pear undertones. Mild finish, not too much dryness from the spices, with the balance leaning towards the sweeter side.

Good to see a pumpkin beer in a case swapI wasnt confident on swapping one a couple of years backTrue what they say about the style, in as far as the flavour of the pumpkin really gets lost quite easily, but it certainly does add texture and richness to the palate, which is very welcome against those spices. Really enjoyed it, cheers Johnny!

Beer: 25. Boris Brown Rye Ale
Date: 14th February 11
Details: 750mL bottle w/ label, gold cap 25 Brewed 15/10 bottled 14/11
Sampling Notes:
Gusher, but saved the vast majority. Deep bronze body, holds a small off-white head.

Medium intensity nose. Woody, leafy hops detectable with charred toasty malts and a hint of peppery spice.

Slightly prickly carbonation, medium body, slick texture, somewhat drying on finish.

Flavour is just a lovely smooth ride; pumpernickel bread, brown sugar, hop resin, caraway seed, cola, bitter orange and pepper. Dry finish with decent bitterness.

Top notch brown with plenty of complex malt and hop flavour to keep it interesting. Seemingly the perfect hit of rye in there, cheers Boris!

Back