Nsw Xmas 2010 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Syd_03-Golden ale-4.9%-US-05-Bottled 26/11/2010
Very nice drop, golden clean with a nice restrained hop bitterness that holds right to the back.

Maybe a little too good in fact I got home poured a glass as an after work refresher, had two sips put in down on the verandah and knocked it over smashing the glass. Must have gotten a bit over excited it was lucky I still had the other half a bottle in the fridge for take two!

Thommo - Porter, Bottled 13/11/2010
Nice head, low carbonation very dark brown / black in colour, with a unique aroma. Complex smoky flavours on the palate with a lightly creamy mouthfeel.

Cheers Thommo great beer indeed!

Syd_03-Golden ale-4.9%-US-05-Bottled 26/11/2010
Very nice drop, golden clean with a nice restrained hop bitterness that holds right to the back.

16. Syd_03-Golden ale-4.9%-US-05-Bottled 26/11/2010

I had this one tonight and agree with the comments above. A very nice beer.

Thanks Jase

nifty

18. Smiley -Chezh pilsner bottled 18th November />19./

No notes. Nice light style pils. I enjoyed this. Thanks Smiley.Thanks

Thanks Gulpa..Glad you enjoyed.

Finally finshed the July case swap....Blame it on the Belgians ;)

No1. Barls Summer Braggot
A crystal clear dark golden/copper colour. Low carb which suits this style. White head which sits thinly on top from pour to end.
Malt driven with spicy phenols and sweet dry finish...must be the 3kg of honey.
This is a very refreshing and I'm glad I scored 2 of these.

Thanks for the great beer Barls :beerbang: - Now I know what to do with my Mudgee honey.

26. Lokpikn ( Dark Wheat beer )

Nice darm amber, brown colour. A bit of head, dies down quickly to a nice foam ring that stays with the beer all the way down.
The aroma is clean, a touch of spicy freshness, some yeasty tones.

Medium to dry body, well balanced malt and low bittering. Looks a bit heavier than it is.
A nice, fresh ale, easy-drinking.

Great stuff, Steve.
Thanks for letting us try it.

Bjorn

Im half way thru and all have been good beers. Sorry no detailed notes.

cheers

No 3. Nifty's Some Sort of Pilsner

Medium to low card, maybe a touch under carbed but pours crystal clear and light golden. Fluffy white head that dies away quicly.
Aroma is of Noble hops, probably some Saaz in there.
Good balance between malt and bitterness makes this an excellent session beer.

Thanks for the great Pils.

Finally finshed the July case swap....Blame it on the Belgians ;)

No1. Barls Summer Braggot
A crystal clear dark golden/copper colour. Low carb which suits this style. White head which sits thinly on top from pour to end.
Malt driven with spicy phenols and sweet dry finish...must be the 3kg of honey.
This is a very refreshing and I'm glad I scored 2 of these.

Thanks for the great beer Barls :beerbang: - Now I know what to do with my Mudgee honey.
glad you enjoyed it. dont remember it as low carb in the last bottle i opened. might have to check again.
im very happy with the way it turned out as a basic belgian pale ale with a shit load of honey. it goes to show that even if i do a braggot it doesnt have to be high alcohol version as per my dark braggot. might have to revise the light braggot recipe now to reflect this.
if you want any hints on how to use that honey and when to add it. give me a yell
just finished my special case swap beer an munich barley wine with Motueka and Riwaka as the hops.
should be good.

16. Syd_03-Golden ale-4.9%-US-05-Bottled 26/11/2010

I had this one tonight and agree with the comments above. A very nice beer.

Thanks Jase

nifty

Glad you enjoyed Steve. I'll have to get a bunch of the swaps into the fridge.

Cheers
Jason.

No 4. Muggus's Alt Ten Eight

Dark gold/copper colour with a off white head which settles quickly. Medium card and and a touch of haze.
Aroma is of sweet malt with a background of noble hops.
Taste is malt driven and has well balanced bitterness. Finishes dry and maybe a touch astringent (phenols?)...maybe this is style?

I really enjoyed this Muggus....care to share the recipe.

Dark gold/copper colour with a off white head which settles quickly. Medium card and and a touch of haze.
Taste is malt driven and has well balanced bitterness. Finishes dry and maybe a touch astringent (phenols?)...maybe this is style?

Drinking my bottle of this now and agree with what has been said. Well done Muggus!

Thanks for the good feedback Gruntus.

The beer itself didn't come out to style; almost like a British bitter of some description. The yeast (1275 Thames Valley) definately contributed some phenolics and it's bittered to around 50IBU, which isn't particularly to style

I posted the recipe on the database.

Thanks for the good feedback Gruntus.

The beer itself didn't come out to style; almost like a British bitter of some description. The yeast (1275 Thames Valley) definately contributed some phenolics and it's bittered to around 50IBU, which isn't particularly to style

I posted the recipe on the database.
I think you may be right there, 2 brews ago I did a English pale ale with the 1275 and can see some similarities on the phenolic front.

Smiley -Chezh pilsner bottled 18th November />19./
Hazy gold in colour small head that died down to thin lace covering. Aroma is made up of nice soft noble hops. On the palate noble hops dominate with a matly back bone very easy drinking. My only regret is I didn't open this whilst it was still stinking hot earlier.

Had 8. Palebrew - House Bitter - Special Bitter - 4.1%

This beer was most awesome

Any chance of a peak at the recipe?

Cheers
Thanks :p , and thanks to others that have given feedback on the beer. I intend to give feedback on the beers I have tried as soon as I find my notes :angry: . I must warn though, my palate isn't as educated as some of you going by your comments. For the recipe, I'll have to go back to the log and let you know when I get home.

Oh, I had my name changed from Palebrew to Whitewolf by admins recently, so one and the same person.

Brad.

Thanks glad you enjoyed

Hazy gold in colour small head that died down to thin lace covering. Aroma is made up of nice soft noble hops. On the palate noble hops dominate with a matly back bone very easy drinking. My only regret is I didn't open this whilst it was still stinking hot earlier.

18. Smiley -Chezh pilsner bottled 18th November

I just knocked this one over and I really enjoyed it.

It went down pretty easy on a hot afternoon.

thanks

nifty

who had the barleywine(?) with BS written on the top? Was that even part of this swap? found one in the backof the fridge, and it was mighty fine.....

Back