NSW State Comp 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that's up to you.

If you happen to win a class, then your flat beer will be re-served from the same bottle at the end of the day for best in show assessment.

I'd wait for the paperwork to figure the fine details.

I'm only reporting what was discussed at last night's HUB meeting.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Two bottles per entry even if they're 750ml?

2 bottles covers a lot of things, like BOS, a dropped/broken bottle, a flat or over carbed beer and most importantly, beers for the boys after the judging! :beerbang:

warra48 said:
I guess that's up to you.

If you happen to win a class, then your flat beer will be re-served from the same bottle at the end of the day for best in show assessment.

I'd wait for the paperwork to figure the fine details.

I'm only reporting what was discussed at last night's HUB meeting.
We at HUB like to conduct a separate Best of Show round at the end of the comp, with all the top scorers from each class.
This removes any judge score bias/inequity between classes/tables.
I'm sure that I'd be happy to reach the BOS round and have a second, unopened, pristine bottle to complete with the other BOS contenders on ALL its merits.

BTW, we are looking for both judges and stewards to help out at State Comp. Furthermore, if you are interested in judging both days and staying overnight, the club is organising some subsidised accommodation packages at Potters.
We will organise food for both lunches as well (as usual with beer competitions that I have attended).

Please record your interest with [email protected]

Thanks for your time.

Happy enough for the 2 bottle thing. Best case scenario, I have a fresh unopened bottle for BOS judging. Worst case scenario, I've donated a bottle of beer to the volunteers as a thank you for giving up their time.

The only downside with the two bottles thing is if you've got a few entries, currently I'm looking at over 25 entries assuming all styles are judged, which is an arseload of bottles!

But rules are rules and I'll play by them happily :) Unfortunately working that weekend so I can't steward or anything :(

GrantSpatchcock said:
The only downside with the two bottles thing is if you've got a few entries, currently I'm looking at over 25 entries assuming all styles are judged, which is an arseload of bottles!

But rules are rules and I'll play by them happily :) Unfortunately working that weekend so I can't steward or anything :(
= over $125 entry as well.

have drop points been talked about?

GrantSpatchcock said:

I agree with Les and Mosto in that if I made the BOS judging I'd be thrilled regardless. I'm also more than happy for any second bottles to go to stewards/judges and other volunteers.

My initial question regarding the two bottle requirement was more to do with getting my entries in. I imagine there'll be no drop-off points near me (Queanbeyan), so I'll have to mail entries and that'll end up being pretty expensive if I enter a few categories.

Les the Weizguy said:
We at HUB like to conduct a separate Best of Show round at the end of the comp, with all the top scorers from each class.
This removes any judge score bias/inequity between classes/tables.
I'm sure that I'd be happy to reach the BOS round and have a second, unopened, pristine bottle to complete with the other BOS contenders on ALL its merits.
Not involved obviously but if you can wing it, I think that is a much better way of doing it.

Les the Weizguy said:
BTW, we are looking for both judges and stewards to help out at State Comp. Furthermore, if you are interested in judging both days and staying overnight, the club is organising some subsidised accommodation packages at Potters.
We will organise food for both lunches as well (as usual with beer competitions that I have attended).

Please record your interest with [email protected]

Thanks for your time.
Next year I expect an invite

mckenry said:
= over $125 entry as well.
Hah, I just did a count. Given what I've currently got fermenting and already have bottled, assuming two entries per category and meads and ciders are judged, I'd have 32 entries. That's $160 odd in fees assuming $5 an entry. Not to mention I've got to get the bottles to the Hunter, which could be very, very costly.

Here's hoping single bottle entries are accepted!! But either way, it's the states, its once a year, and I'll get them up there.

Yob said:
Next year I expect an invite
Jesse, please consider yourself invited this year. Please contact the HUB secretary at the email address above and we'll be happy to look after you.
Will be great to see you, in any case.

GrantSpatchcock said:
Hah, I just did a count. Given what I've currently got fermenting and already have bottled, assuming two entries per category and meads and ciders are judged, I'd have 32 entries. That's $160 odd in fees assuming $5 an entry. Not to mention I've got to get the bottles to the Hunter, which could be very, very costly.

Here's hoping single bottle entries are accepted!! But either way, it's the states, its once a year, and I'll get them up there.
Single bottle entries will absolutely be accepted. The Second bottle is, as has been mentioned, both a backup bottle in case the first bottle opened has carbonation or contamination issues (and naturally we'd like to taste the best version of the beer supplied) and also as the second entry for the BOS round (again, so we can judge the best sample of the beer provided).
If you only seek feedback and don't care too much for BOS, and you're sure none of your bottles is sub-par compared to the rest, one beer is ALL you'll need.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
I agree with Les and Mosto in that if I made the BOS judging I'd be thrilled regardless. I'm also more than happy for any second bottles to go to stewards/judges and other volunteers.

My initial question regarding the two bottle requirement was more to do with getting my entries in. I imagine there'll be no drop-off points near me (Queanbeyan), so I'll have to mail entries and that'll end up being pretty expensive if I enter a few categories.
Ken, and Grant, and other potential entrants: We will be organising a number of drop-off points, and may be prepared to pay for collection and transport from those points. Details are in the works, and will be posted shortly, as well as cut-off dates.

Stay tuned.

Les,

Put me down for a day, (maybe 2), of what ever you need. Steward / judging, what ever. Hell, I'll even tally scoresheets.

Cheers Steve

As I only live 15-20 odd minutes away. Can I drop my entries off direct?

I will hopefully be able to help out on day 1, but will confirm later.
Day 2 is otherwise spoken for already.

Mmmmmm
MIght have to siphen a couple bottles of something that been fermenting in my garage and see if it carbs up in time

Sorry HUB but this is getting ridiculouus. Still no info and it's only 6 weeks to your comp. If you want to be the State Comp and the only pathway to the Nationals you have a responsiblity to be far more pro-active.
Castle Hill & ESB have had their info out for ages - where is yours??

Lets not forget that these comps are organized and run by volunteers who most likely have jobs and families and other commitments that come first.
It's not run by a business or association where people are paid to get things ready to judge your beers.

Get your beers ready to send and when the info comes out, send them in.
Everyone else in NSW is in the same boat.

Latest posts

Back