Nsw July Case Swap 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, up until a couple of days ago I wasn't even sure I'd have my sh!t together. It's still a bit touch and go, but my brew went down on the weekend and fingers crossed for a finished ferment to allow me to bottle one night towards the end of next week. Maybe I'll just ramp up the temp to 26o to finished in 4 days like the cans suggest :p .

I had such grand plans of having this in the bottle for two months before getting to you guys, so apologies.

Well, up until a couple of days ago I wasn't even sure I'd have my sh!t together. It's still a bit touch and go, but my brew went down on the weekend and fingers crossed for a finished ferment to allow me to bottle one night towards the end of next week. Maybe I'll just ramp up the temp to 26o to finished in 4 days like the cans suggest :p .

I had such grand plans of having this in the bottle for two months before getting to you guys, so apologies.

Evil_Monkey.jpg

ok all its almost upon us once more.
if you dont have the address pm me for it.
how does a 11am start sound with the swap being middayish.
heres where we are up to with food
barls - smoked sausages
thomo - onions
mrs eyres - chups and dups + extra sausages for smoker
polux - up for anything and its a pity that fatz isnt coming as he wold be disappointed to hear that he missed out on an opportunity
syd03- kebabs
gregor 2kg of chicken thighs
gulpa/megs80 - green stuff.
Grantw - bread rolls

My swap beers are in 2 batches. the 1st was bottled about 6 weeks ago. Cracked one last night & still not carbed up properly (could taste the sweetness of the bottling sugar). Hope its just because of the cold weather.
Looking forward to next weekend, my 1st NSW swap.
Bring it on!

barls, not sure if you caught my prior post but I won't be hanging about for long, I have the little one for the day.

I'll try to swing by at 12 on the dot if I can and help out with the swapping and then shoot through again....

Still have to bottle mine I'll find time this week, I swear.

yeah tim, i did catch the last post, should be fine tim, if it doesnt happen by the time you leave you can leave it there and pick it up later.

I've been doing a lot of travelling for work the last couple of months so back in April I thought I would do an ESB for the swap.

What a stuff up, my usual 5 hour brew day turned into a 9 hour nightmare. In all the years I've been brewing, I've never had a stuck sparge like this. This mash was set like custard.

My recipe called for some polenta, but I didn't have the instant stuff like I would normally use, I used the bog standard polenta. Anyway, it turned into a mash tun full of porridge. The pump wouldn't pull any wort through the herms, I couldn't loosen it up with any other tricks, I was seriously considering tossing the lot in the bin and starting again.

I always start my mash at about 52 degrees and step it up using the herms, but because it wouldn't flow through the pump, I was stuck.

At this stage I realised I couldn't inflict this brew on anyone else, so I thought bugger it, I'll try and save it and I'll keep it for myself and see how it turns out.

I ended up pulling out a couple of litres of mash and heating it up on the burner and when almost boiling, dropping it back into the mash tun. I did this 4 times to get the temp up to about 66 degrees.

After an hour or so at 65 - 66 degrees, I gravity drained the wort into a bucket and sparged 2 more times.

At the end of the boil I ended up with 32 liters of no chill 1.066 wort.

Anyway, to cut a short story long, I made a choc treacle stout type of beer the week before this fiasco, so I fermented and bottled that for the swap.

It's ready to drink now and doesn't taste too bad.

cheers

nifty

Bottled. noon-ish is cool on the day but i might be a bit late (coming down from the mtns and my wife has the car till about 10.30-11ish... so i might be about 1230)

Had some annoyances when bottling, was down to 26 bottles done and and no beer left so thought "that's fine i'll just blend in the last batch of APA into the last couple" and before i could get started on that my fermenter toppled over and made about 30% of the beer in the last 4 bottles spill all over the garage floor! :blink:

Anyway blended in another pre-bottled batch, should be fine just won't be amarillo, will be d saaz instead for the last 3-4 bottles. I should have just done what i was going to do in the first place and bulk prime with an extra 2L of water...

Just checked out the wiki. Do we still have 28 people or 27? I only managed 26 bottles and dont have anything else to sub. Does anyone mind if I just sub a bottle of coopers?

Just checked out the wiki. Do we still have 28 people or 27? I only managed 26 bottles and dont have anything else to sub. Does anyone mind if I just sub a bottle of coopers?

Traditionally the sub, if you don't have anything you made yourself, is a vintage Chimay Blue - I hear the 1999 was a good year.

Speaking of Coopers, I have a party keg full of Aussie Sparkling Ale which is fermented on the CSA yeast. I was planning to bring it along and serve via beer engine, just for fun! A bit of OZreal ale.

cheers

grant

i think boingk dropped out but am not sure.
i prefer the 98 version if someones buying, i can even let you know where to buy it.

I wont be able to make it on saturday as i have to work. I will drop them off probably on thursday and swing by saturday afternoon about 3 pm if that is alright.
the batch is taking along time to carb up because my back room is so cold.

cheer's matho

still reckon Chimay is shit, but the 2002 is still recognised as their best in certain parts of Bodalla and north Narooma. I have sent Boink a PM to see if he is still in but no response yet. I think I have only 26 bottles of my fabulous English Dark Bitter in my cases too (but have a nice sub and some nice swaps if anyone else brings some and indeed if I make it myself).

Boink ??????????? where art though ?

Just letting you know, I can only make for a little while and I will be bringing a junior brewer as well.

cheers
Andrew

I wont be able to make it on saturday as i have to work. I will drop them off probably on thursday and swing by saturday afternoon about 3 pm if that is alright.
the batch is taking along time to carb up because my back room is so cold.

cheer's matho

Hey mate, if you want me to take em down and back I can do that for you....

Hey Barls

Do you have any room in you kegerator?
I havent got any bottled stock (apart from the 2 crates for the swap) but would like to bring a 9L keg along.
Problem is I dont have any sort of portable setup to serve it.

Any idea of numbers turning up?

Gregor

Hey mate, if you want me to take em down and back I can do that for you....

that would be great mate when is the best time for me to come up

cheer's steve

hey gregor, bring it along and we will sort something on the day.
gulpa the junior can chase the dog around if they want she loves kids.
as for numbers i think its like 25 or so

hey gregor, bring it along and we will sort something on the day.
gulpa the junior can chase the dog around if they want she loves kids.
as for numbers i think its like 25 or so
Gregor I will bring my bigger esky then. It can fit two party kegs, one of them will be mine and a portable gas bottle. You can dump yours in there if you like, you'll have to get a spare picnic tap off someone though( can you help out with this barls?). Just contribte your keg and maybe some additional ice.
Cheers Jason.

Back