Now This Is Well Stored Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyo

No Chillin' Like a Villain.
Reaction score
Apparently the yeast in this brew was revived from the intestinal tract of a 45 million year old bee which was preserved in amber.
Anyone tried it?

www.fossilfuelsbrewingco.com/

Would be interesting...
Cheers, John.

Apparently the yeast in this brew was revived from the intestinal tract of a 45 million year old bee which was preserved in amber.
Anyone tried it?
www.fossilfuelsbrewingco.com/
Would be interesting...
Cheers, John.

There is a story behind this with the guy who discovered the yeast being quite a douche and trying to 'patent' the yeast he discovered.

Fossil Fuels Brewing Co.
Not to be confused with
Fusels Fossil Brewing Co.

Douche of a name, anyway. All I can think of is fusel.

reVox

Things are quiet at work today so I did a bit of research.

The scientific article cited in their website as Science 268, pp. 1060-1064, 1995 is actually titled Revival and identification of bacterial spores in 25- to 40-million-year-old Dominican Amber (RJ Cano and MK Borucki).

The article abstract (to get the whole article you have to pay for it) says:

A bacterial spore was revived, cultured, and identified from the abdominal contents of extinct bees preserved for 25 to 40 million years in buried Dominican amber. Rigorous surface decontamination of the amber and aseptic procedures were used during the recovery of the bacterium. Several lines of evidence indicated that the isolated bacterium was of ancient origin and not an extant contaminant. The characteristic enzymatic, biochemical, and 16S ribosomal DNA profiles indicated that the ancient bacterium is most closely related to extant Bacillus sphaericus.

Wikipedia says Bacillus sphaericus is "an obligate aerobe bacterium used as a larvicide for mosquito control".

The beer web page said these scientists "isolated a few yeast strains that resembled modern Saccharomyces cerevisiae. In other words, they are similar to the yeast we use every day for brewing and baking "

Web page says Saccharomyces cerevisiae (yeast) while scientific article says Bacillus sphaericus (mosquito control).

Also the Peter Hackett Award winning Brewmaster who's quoted on the webpage (yes it's a one page website) as saying the beers' good is actually the brewer who made it!

Sounds like BS to me ...

I'm not sure I understand why a very old strain of yeast is going to taste better than a modern one.

Same with wine. Get rid of that old crap and give me a nice fresh bottle ;)

I think that this is what they are saying makes this yeast different:
"It ferments violently at the start," Hackett says, "then it falls out of suspension and the beer becomes almost clear." From a brewer's perspective, its behavior was schizophrenic: It began like a yeast used in ales, floating at the top. Then it began to act like yeast used in slow-fermenting lagers, settling to the bottom of the tank but not going dormant.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/m...rimordial_yeast

Things are quiet at work today so I did a bit of research.

The scientific article cited in their website as Science 268, pp. 1060-1064, 1995 is actually titled Revival and identification of bacterial spores in 25- to 40-million-year-old Dominican Amber (RJ Cano and MK Borucki).

The article abstract (to get the whole article you have to pay for it) says:

A bacterial spore was revived, cultured, and identified from the abdominal contents of extinct bees preserved for 25 to 40 million years in buried Dominican amber. Rigorous surface decontamination of the amber and aseptic procedures were used during the recovery of the bacterium. Several lines of evidence indicated that the isolated bacterium was of ancient origin and not an extant contaminant. The characteristic enzymatic, biochemical, and 16S ribosomal DNA profiles indicated that the ancient bacterium is most closely related to extant Bacillus sphaericus.

Wikipedia says Bacillus sphaericus is "an obligate aerobe bacterium used as a larvicide for mosquito control".

The beer web page said these scientists "isolated a few yeast strains that resembled modern Saccharomyces cerevisiae. In other words, they are similar to the yeast we use every day for brewing and baking "

Web page says Saccharomyces cerevisiae (yeast) while scientific article says Bacillus sphaericus (mosquito control).

Also the Peter Hackett Award winning Brewmaster who's quoted on the webpage (yes it's a one page website) as saying the beers' good is actually the brewer who made it!

Sounds like BS to me ...

Cheers, GHHB.
Even if it is bullshit, they have certainly used a clever marketing idea. I wonder if it is low carb? :lol:

Back