Nottingham - Violent Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger mellie

Defender of the WW - Scars to prove it.
Reaction score
Gurus

Made a summer Ale - recipe below.

Missed my OG due to a bit of extra evaporation - not concerned as this always happens.

Centennial Sauvin Ale
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 10/04/2007
Style: English Special or Best Bitter Brewer: Roger Mellie
Batch Size: 25.00 L Assistant Brewer: Tom
Boil Volume: 34.20 L Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 % Equipment: Keg Kettle
Actual Efficiency: 87.7 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 81.8 %
0.50 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.1 %
0.50 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.9 EBC) Grain 9.1 %
20.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (20 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
10.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 2.5 IBU
10.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 2.1 IBU
5.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
40.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tbsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Table Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG (1.039-1.045 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.009-1.014 SG)
Estimated Color: 9.1 EBC (11.8-27.6 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 49.1 IBU (20.0-45.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 3.6 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.1 % (3.7-4.8 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.0 %
Actual Calories: 568 cal/l

The colour was perfect when I added the yeast. Gave it a good stir - all was good.

Went to check this morning and had serious difficulty pouring a SG sample - basically the fermentation was so violent that the sample looked white. Picture attached.

PICT0022.JPG

Fermentation temp steady at 20 degC.
Flavour OK - no infection detectable.
Has gone from 1.060 to 1.020 in < 2 days.

Is this normal for this yeast? Its a monster.

RM

The colour was perfect when I added the yeast. Gave it a good stir - all was good.

Went to check this morning and had serious difficulty pouring a SG sample - basically the fermentation was so violent that the sample looked white. Picture attached.

View attachment 12084

Fermentation temp steady at 20 degC.
Flavour OK - no infection detectable.
Has gone from 1.060 to 1.020 in < 2 days.

Is this normal for this yeast? Its a monster.

RM

The SG sample may contain more yeast due to there being a chunk in the tap, if you blow this first lot out and then take a sample it will contain less yeast (less white).

When I pitch nottingham I use 20g or a previous yeast cake and always get this type of fermentation even at 16C. I also try to always use my 30L fermenter to give it heaps of head space.

The SG sample may contain more yeast due to there being a chunk in the tap, if you blow this first lot out and then take a sample it will contain less yeast (less white).

When I pitch nottingham I use 20g or a previous yeast cake and always get this type of fermentation even at 16C. I also try to always use my 30L fermenter to give it heaps of head space.

The entire fermenter looks like an Ice Cream - basically when i poured the sample from the tap it was like pouring an overcarbonated beer.

No probs - Im sure it will work out OK - just havent seen anything as active as this before.

RM

The entire fermenter looks like an Ice Cream - basically when i poured the sample from the tap it was like pouring an overcarbonated beer.

No probs - Im sure it will work out OK - just havent seen anything as active as this before.

RM

Yes mate, she's definately a fast yeast... normally all finished in 3 days.
Will be interested in your comments on how it compares to using US-56 in your summer ale, as it's not my first choice...

cheers Ross

Yes i agree with Ross. I used this in my last batch of Golden ale type beer. It was screaming along (dropped from 1.045 to 1.025 in 1 day)

Ive collected some for use in my next batch as well.

My favourite yeast so far. It even had a very compact trub that i could drain almost the entire contents of my fermenter. Normally i have to leave the last litre or so, but this was fine to the bottom.

edit/ dont worry the colour will come once finished too...mine was the same, then finished a nice amber

Yes mate, she's definately a fast yeast... normally all finished in 3 days.
Will be interested in your comments on how it compares to using US-56 in your summer ale, as it's not my first choice...
cheers Ross

Will do Ross - I planned to use US-56 - certain that I had a sachet left - so very much a last minute thing to use nottingham.

I have wound the temp down a couple of degrees also - starting to look more like ale and less like froth.

RM

Hi
I used that exact same yeast last week and was amazed how quick it got through my 1.055SG apa. Only around 3 days!!! This said the temp was not ideal as Adelaide is having some very odd autumn weather (eg 30C). The ferment temp got to 24C which ois much hotter than I like to do me ales
Dont know if I'll use it again. Oh bugga it I will try it with my IPA this weekend
Cheers
Hugh

Hi
I used that exact same yeast last week and was amazed how quick it got through my 1.055SG apa. Only around 3 days!!! This said the temp was not ideal as Adelaide is having some very odd autumn weather (eg 30C). The ferment temp got to 24C which ois much hotter than I like to do me ales
Dont know if I'll use it again. Oh bugga it I will try it with my IPA this weekend
Cheers
Hugh

Hugh
I love this yeast and use it a lot,but IMO it's not the yeast for an APA or IPA,better off with a 56 mate.
Nottingham for Alts,English Ales,Porters etc

Have a good one

Batz

Hugh,

I had the same thing happen with the nottingham at 13 degrees. She ferments out fast. I dont bother taking a reading with that yeast until at least 3 days. It does exactly what you said: An overcarbed beer, with a massive head. Thats why your readings cant be accurate.
I will also be interested in the taste test.
The nottingham in my porter is amazing. Dunno about light beers.

Brad

Brad

ought to taste like fruit salad hahaha

Us-56 well its a bit fruity as well,
Got one going now
1.052-1.012 in 8 days and still going woohooo

Hi guys
I wanted to use 1056, as it is was I usual use, however my brewshop didn't have it :angry:. So instead I thought i would try some different. Have to wait and see the results
cheers
Hugh

A short while ago, I brewed a small double batch and split it into two. I fermented one with S-04 and the other with Nottingham.

The Nottingham was certainly quicker, but it is brighter and - in my opinion - nicer. Dunno if it was the yeast or the other stuff, but it took at least a month for the goodness to become apparent in the beer. It's drinking quite nicely now, but I wouldn't use it for something that relied on hops for impact.

Yeah, whatever i have made with nottingham has fermented insanely fast and ended up nice and bright, but I also got the impression that it stripped some of the hops flavour. Maybe this is because of the massive amounts of CO2 produced?
But it's certainly easy to use and glues itself like s**t to a blanket to the bottom of the fermenter. Never make the mistake of re-pitching onto the whole yeast cake with this one unless you want beer dripping off the ceiling..... :lol:

Been using Nottingham for a fair while now. Got it off Ross some time last year.I just keep recycling the trub. So far so good after 6 mnths.

Have noticed that it will slow down if you get the ferm temp under 17*. Had a few brews that took 10days. But my brew room was set at 17* and the aircon was blowing straight onto the ferm..Ferm actually measured 16*

Fantastic yeast in Porters and dark ales... :beerbang:

And very clean.

With cooler times ahead meaning good stout or porter drinking time, has anyone any thoughts on

Nottingham vs Windsor in darker ales/porters/stout?

Thinking about getting Nottingham or maybe both!

Cheers,

Stout

With cooler times ahead meaning good stout or porter drinking time, has anyone any thoughts on

Nottingham vs Windsor in darker ales/porters/stout?

Thinking about getting Nottingham or maybe both!

Cheers,

Stout

Go the Nottingham - leave Windsor for low gravity British bitters for which it is superb (my yeast of choice).
With it's low attenuation you'll really struggle to get your gravity down with all those dark malts using Windsor.
Windsor is an incredibly fast yeast as well - my ales take 2 to 3 days to finish & drink great from day 1. Doesn't floc out as quick as Nott, so filtering required to produce a fast bright ale. Ideal for filling an empty keg fast :)

cheers Ross

Windsor is an incredibly fast yeast as well - my ales take 2 to 3 days to finish & drink great from day 1.
cheers Ross

I used Windsor for the first time in a 1.043 OG bitter on the weekend. I pitched at around 11am and by mid afternoon it was bubbling slowly, and the next morning it was going hard!

No idea how its going to taste yet obviously, but definitely worth giving a try! :beerbang:

Did my last 2 brews with Nottingham, both fermented at 18*C , both took only 2 days. I love using this yeast when I need a quick batch. I've noticed with this yeast if you ferment above 23-24 you get a very disninct bananna aroma, anyone notice this?

I ferment my Nottingham @14c,slower and better beer IMO

Batz

Latest posts

Back