Nottingham - Violent Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes mate, she's definately a fast yeast... normally all finished in 3 days.
Will be interested in your comments on how it compares to using US-56 in your summer ale, as it's not my first choice...
cheers Ross

OK

Kegged and settled down for a couple of days.

And the answer is - in my opinion - I wouldnt use Nottingham for this style again.

Basically the hop flavours are quite muted - and therefore the usual stonefruit characters of the Nelson dont jump out - they are there but I think the US-56 let them show more. The beer is drier as a result - not so fruity - which again in my opinion is what this beer is all about. Even the centennial isnt as strong - despite a small aroma addition.

In a word - it has made a more delicate beer - maybe one for the ladies.

Dont get me wrong - I have had no complaints from SWMBO (the judge) - Its just not as nice as with a more neutral yeast.

RM

Hey Guys,

well my first attempt at using this yeast started last Saturday, here are some of my notes:

pitched @ 25*C into 22 Litres of 1042 Wort.
2 1/2 hours later it was down to 18*C and krausen/bubbling nicely.
By Wednesday (day 4) and has been sitting on a constant 18*C it was down to 1010 and fermentation had finished.
Kegged last night (day 6) and force carbed this morning (day 7)

on first tasting really tasted like a hefeweizen? i was really startled and suprised!
it's not a really bad thing just not what i was expecting or wanted from this yeast.

i'm guessing i have mistreated this yeast by pitching it 7 Degrees above my fermentation Tempature????

i was going to do a English Pale Ale using this yeast today but i'm not sure if i can now i feel like
it would be more suited to a Coopers Pale Ale Clone as my impressions of it are its got a bit of a bannana
and its a bit bready just like coopers???

Rob.

Back