Not Quite Air Tight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koldor

Reaction score
Hello

I just have placed another beer in the fermentor on sunday arvo, when i can home from work i checked it and it hadn't start bubbling. i squeezed the fermentor and i could hear a air rush from the lid :( , i tightened the lid maybe a 1/16th of a turn, now its bubbling. Is it to late? How do i check to see if its ok?

Cheers

relax it will be fine...a lot of people here (me included now) dont even use a lid and airlock, just some glad wrap!...As long as bugs (insects etc) cant get in it will be fine...bubbling away....sounds like it is doing what beer does!

relax it will be fine...a lot of people here (me included now) dont even use a lid and airlock, just some glad wrap!...As long as bugs (insects etc) cant get in it will be fine...bubbling away....sounds like it is doing what beer does!

Nice i thought it was wrecked B)

Welcome to the forum also!

Check out the 'new to brewing' section as per this Linky, lots of good reading here on AHB if you have the time! ;)

Oh yeah...welcome to the forum...good advice from raven19..also, learn to use the 'search' function, it can be your best friend...Im fairly new to this forum myself and the past posts hold a wealth of information for the new brewer

Shit!.....looking at the topic....I was thinking this might have been about the Mrs!

Edit: ok, ok, this is my last beer for the night....

Ignore the search function it's useless, use google search then click on the AHB hits.....

Ignore the search function it's useless, use google search then click on the AHB hits.....

or just google
"site:aussiehomebrewer.com query"
without the quotes, and 'query' is whatever you want to search for, and then you'll only get AHB hits....

If you don't quite believe them Nick, here's a recent photo as evidence. To hold the film in place you can use your fermenter lid's seal or, if like one of mine, it broke (age- related), just use pipecleaners or similar. As you can see, it works a treat and there's no faffing around with bubblers and their nasty backwash when taking a sample out of the tap.

Don't panic, your brew should be fine, if its sealed in now, or, even if not- so long as the excess gas can escape, and it is now by the sounds.

Oh, and +1 for googling method rather than native AHB searching. Sorry admins- its cr*p... or else needs option explanations.

Edit: Some people need to have the bubbler's blooping to make it a more wholesome experience. In a while, you'll realise that the novelty has worn off. Usually that happens after you sit awake for hours one night wondering if that sound you can hear is actually a tap dripping and get out of bed only to discover, eventually, that it was just a brew you'd forgotten about that was going beserk...

or just google
"site:aussiehomebrewer.com query"
without the quotes, and 'query' is whatever you want to search for, and then you'll only get AHB hits....

Could even close the query in quotes to look for an exact phrase:

site:aussiehomebrewer.com over carb

will look for 'over' and 'carb' in posts at AHB

site:aussiehomebrewer.com "over carb"

will look for 'over carb' in posts at AHB

Edit: had to edit it, it made no sense......way too pissed for this shit!

there's no faffing around with bubblers and their nasty backwash when taking a sample out of the tap.
I do use airlocks (I don't rely on them though) for 2 out of my 3 fermenters. Is there a good reason why I shouldn't (eg nasty backwash)? I get small bugs in my airlock occassionally but my assumption has always been they can only go halfway. If I'm wrong I'd like to change (although no flies or whole brew infections yet).

I do use airlocks (I don't rely on them though) for 2 out of my 3 fermenters. Is there a good reason why I shouldn't (eg nasty backwash)? I get small bugs in my airlock occassionally but my assumption has always been they can only go halfway. If I'm wrong I'd like to change (although no flies or whole brew infections yet).
Good question- one I've wondered about quite a lot. I decided to bypass it altogether, by first going to two- piece airlocks (removing the top piece at sampling) and then just to film.

Now, I can't be sure there's not something in the airlock I can't afford to be sucked back into the brew either at sampling or when I pick it up. Chances are, there's really nothing to worry about, but every sampling time when I did get a teensy bit of backwash go all the way back into the brew, I thought there had to be a better way. Hence I said, stuff this, I'll eliminate the possibility by using film. There is _usually_ some pressure behind the film, so bugs are excluded unless they can swim through constant gas expiration (mostly CO2 I presume).

Some folks use sanitiser in their airlock _just in case_ some of the fluid in the airlock has come to be containing nasties. (Its probably pointless using meta for this BTW, I suspect it has to be chlorine- based or an iodophor for that to work.)

It gets a bit anally- retentive, for sure, but its one less thing I have to worry about.

I also have a totally different, but none the less quite valid reason- one of my fermenting fridges, usually reserved for secondaries, has just enough room for two fermenters on separate shelves with just film, whereas it would only fit one with an airlock. So, height restrictions came into play. I usually have three brews underway most of the time, whether in cubes or fermenters, so if I can fit two together in one fridge, for sure- I will. I only have two fridges for fermenting... ;)

One of my fermenters sits with a clean cloth over the hole and is weighted down by an inverted pint glass, and the other one is simply the glad wrap method. In fact I've forgotten about using the airlock so much so that when I was in the brew shop with my neighbour I asked him why the hell he needed rubber grommets for his lids, until I remembered that s-bend thingo.

And if you;re diong pretty standard beers and let them ferment for two weeks, you can be pretty sure that they'll have fermented out without having to rely on the bubbling. Though that's not a suggestion to stop taking hydrometer samples !

Chuck the airlock. It's one less thing to worry about.

I'm starting to use mostly clingfilm as well, i ferment in the bar which is in the lounge and the missus complains about the bloop bloop when she is watching tv mind you she has the volume that loud they can hear it in timor.....

Cling film is easy to replace, you don't need to sterilize the seals and lid or airlock and it's more transparent.
The one negative is i had one very high krausen last year that forced a leak under the film and went all over the bar, this made the fermenter stick to the bar as i didn't notice it for a few days.... no long term damage but now i have a plastic mat under the fermenters....

Or just get a big rectangular tub for your fermenter to sit in if you're worried about dribble off. This also doubles nicely as a cheapo cooling system during the summer months, (if you dont have the luxury of a temp controlled fridge) you can fill it full of water & icebricks.

EDIT: Only use clingwarp if you can sit a single sheet over the top. Some fermenters are too big for this (like my old coopers one). But the water-barrel styles are perfect sized.

Or just get a big rectangular tub for your fermenter to sit in if you're worried about dribble off. This also doubles nicely as a cheapo cooling system during the summer months, (if you dont have the luxury of a temp controlled fridge) you can fill it full of water & icebricks.

EDIT: Only use clingwarp if you can sit a single sheet over the top. Some fermenters are too big for this (like my old coopers one). But the water-barrel styles are perfect sized.

Are people pricking their cling film?

Latest posts

Back