Not Getting Much Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something else that hasn't been mentioned is that (from what I've read and heard said by 'experts' on podcasts) hops also aid head retention. The easiest way for a kit brewer to add these is to grab a hop teabag from your homebrew shop, make a hop tea (exactly like you would make a normal cup of tea with a tea bag - no milk and sguar though!), let it sit for a couple of minutes and add the lot to your fermenter.

This method improves hop flavour and aroma as well as head retention.

Your homebrew shop owner will be able to suggest a suitable hop for the style of beer you're making.

Nothing a rubber neck wouldn't fix.
But seriously I think the problem lies in under-carbonation, possibly waiting longer for carbonation at a good conditioning temp.
Perhaps revising pouring methods and glass cleansing technique may also help.
I'd go bulk priming, I did on my second brew and have never looked back. Now I carbonate to my specific desired level and it's good for any size bottle I wanna bottle in.
And make sure them caps are on good and tight.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned is that (from what I've read and heard said by 'experts' on podcasts) hops also aid head retention. The easiest way for a kit brewer to add these is to grab a hop teabag from your homebrew shop, make a hop tea (exactly like you would make a normal cup of tea with a tea bag - no milk and sguar though!), let it sit for a couple of minutes and add the lot to your fermenter.

Your homebrew shop owner will be able to suggest a suitable hop for the style of beer you're making.
Mentioned (albeit breifly) in the article previously linked. ;)

Nothing a rubber neck wouldn't fix.
But seriously I think the problem lies in under-carbonation, possibly waiting longer for carbonation at a good conditioning temp.
Perhaps revising pouring methods and glass cleansing technique may also help.
I'd go bulk priming, I did on my second brew and have never looked back. Now I carbonate to my specific desired level and it's good for any size bottle I wanna bottle in.
And make sure them caps are on good and tight.

Low carbonation doesn't necessarily effect head retention. It can, however, effect head formation (particularly in bottled beers. Pouring a low carbed beer from a bottle and being able to form the head is a bit of an art form). A pint of yorkshire bitter with sfa carbonation will hold it's head all the way to the bottom of the glass (as long as there are no other factors that denegrate head formation and retention) :p

I haven't really taken much notice of how much head is left on my beers as they approach the bottom of the glass but would it be normal for a head to diminish to a degree, regardless of it's size? This may depend on how the beer is drunk I guess, especially if it sloshes back into the glass after you swig it.

When I was starting with hops I developed this little trick,
when you empty you kit can pop a spoonful or two of hop pellets into the can
and refill with boiling water. Let this sit while you stir and fill the fermenter
and pour it in the top before adding the yeast.

It's a really simple step that needs no skill or equipment,
and improves kit beer dramatically.

To improve head 2 steps-

stop adding dextrose
stop using carb drops

My early attepts at brewing with a kg of Brew enhancer and carb drops were headless swill.

Check my little Dark Ale picture - that's a kits and bits brew, you don't need to go all extract or AG to get awesome head,
just use all malt additions.

Low carbonation doesn't necessarily effect head retention. It can, however, effect head formation (particularly in bottled beers. Pouring a low carbed beer from a bottle and being able to form the head is a bit of an art form)

Precisely, and well worth a mention to avoid a common misconception. Earlier this year I made a partial choc porter and looking back on my notes i added 80g priming sugers to a full batch (for new readers here, I have often used twice as much sugar for carbing beer, depending on style). Head was fine, despite the intended low carbonation.

This may depend on how the beer is drunk I guess, especially if it sloshes back into the glass after you swig it

Eww Backwash ! The drinker's equivalent of the double dip. Remind me never to have a taste from your schooner :p

Yeah Renegade you wont have to remind me to never let you have a taste of my schooner, jokin.
I don't personally backwash but I was refering to the beer that hasn't entered the orrifice returning to the bottom of the glass. Anyway the way you drink it can make a difference i'm sure.
I was of the impression that heads retention was, the amount of head diminishing = amount of head forming, please enlighten me.
Wouldn't carbonation have some effect on retention. If it was extrememly undercarbonated and you swished a head up on it would the head not just die down due to lack of carbonation?
Maybe it's the type/shape of the glasses he's using having an impact on head retention.

Boagsy....
if you take a low carbonated beer, half a glass, then tilt it away from you at a 45 degree angle, then tilt it quickly back to upright, you will see fine bubbles appear just below the head, which then move upward and replenish the head. ;) So the agitation occuring to the beer through the action of drinking should cause enough turbulence to replenish the head. Further to that, as the beer warms, it will release co2 more readily.....and as every beer drinker knows, the temp at the end of a glass often is considerably higher than when originally poured.

Not exactly helpful to the OP (although he may find interest in it), but everytime I hear the old furphy of low carbonated beer having poor head retention, a part of me dies inside. :(

Boagsy....
if you take a low carbonated beer, half a glass, then tilt it away from you at a 45 degree angle, then tilt it quickly back to upright, you will see fine bubbles appear just below the head, which then move upward and replenish the head. ;) So the agitation occuring to the beer through the action of drinking should cause enough turbulence to replenish the head. Further to that, as the beer warms, it will release co2 more readily.....and as every beer drinker knows, the temp at the end of a glass often is considerably higher than when originally poured.

Not exactly helpful to the OP (although he may find interest in it), but everytime I hear the old furphy of low carbonated beer having poor head retention, a part of me dies inside. :(

Ahh right, thanks Butters for clearing that up.
So the agitation caused by drinking and the warming up of the beer brings CO2 out of solution which aids in head retention. I guess you would have to have some amount of CO2 in solution to get a head in the first place or can O2 escaping from solution also form a head?
Maybe if the OP has problems with head retention then putting a bigger head on the beer initially will make it last longer.

What butters is saying (I think) is that a beer being fizzy or not fizzy is not an indicator of good retention. Think of a nice red ale or british brown and the lovely tight head you can get on that (excluding nitrogentated beers obviously). Low carbonation but good head retention. Various things including alcohol content, glass dirtiness, beer body, hop oils etc can affect the retention of a head. Head formation is another issue (although there are relationships) and yes you will need some C02 to be coming out of solution for either to occur.

Guys - your posts have been excellent - some 30 to read from. I went away from the Laptop and I think the system automatically timed out. Ive been at work all day to day.

Thats what I like about the forums - so many differnt and pertinent suggestions. Yes i started out as a kit brewer in a plastic barrell. But I will try some of the things that you have all suggested.

Dont get angry with each other guys because someone siad something about grains because i had already been reading the All Grain for 30 Bucks thread.

It was just a general question - carbonation seems Ok, glasses afre clean beer glasses, but perhaps because It gets hot in qLD I JUST THROW THEM IN THE FRIDGE because I cant wait anylonger (he he he )

Anyway - many many thanks for all the replies

Now i have to read them all

Cheers 2beers

Thanks - good suggestions - I drink a bit of Amsterdam Mariner out of purpose pilsener glasses and its aok. I think its just a timing thing and maybe bulk priming instead of carb drops. Hey Im new to the game relatively speaking - so thats no problems

I appreciate all the discussions and pointers dropped in by all people - Thank You

Wasnt Suggesting it wasnt good conversation .. i would love to suggest to the OP to go partial then AG i actually recommend that 2beers has a big read of both sections if he/she hasnt already
But the question put forward in this sub forum was about kits and extracts and had nothing to do with grains ,steeping and boiling and the OPs level of knowledge showed that (sorry 2beers)

I think the question was a great one at that cause new ppl to home brewing relate how good their brew is to commercial by head retention and lacing( well i know i did ) apart from taste

Back on topic
just a thought would be to grab a bottle of your favorite beer and pour it in a glass you use and see just how good the glass is compared with a home brew
itll show if its your brew of your glass thats causing the problem

Tom

Its no problem mate - not blown away. I will try one thing first and then next time try the little bit of grain suggested.

2beers - Phill

Hey ... wait a minute guys ...

Today (tonight) is 2beers first post ... and he only joined AHB at 4pm today ... gve the guy/girl a break! I notice he's logged out already ... hope we haven't blown him away with all the repartee ... let's be gentle on the new posters with genuine questions.

Bought some headmaster glasses the other day. Very happy - little laser etching on the bottom (inside) makes for a constantly replenishing head :icon_cheers: still need to sort your beer, but might just be what makes the difference.

Bought some headmaster glasses the other day. Very happy - little laser etching on the bottom (inside) makes for a constantly replenishing head :icon_cheers: still need to sort your beer, but might just be what makes the difference.

I see them on eBay and have been considering getting some. The local pub here uses the headmasters, too bad the beer isn't as good as at home!

I will end up getting 6 schooners I think. :icon_cheers:

I bought some Headmasters and wish I hadn't. They're nice and thick but you need to be pretty critical on the pour.

I bought some Headmasters and wish I hadn't. They're nice and thick but you need to be pretty critical on the pour.

Can you elaborate? Did the etching cause to much turbulence?

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

I'd make too many enemies if were to complain about getting too much head.

See ! 2Beers came back ! Go with the flow, brothers. We are all here to help each other, not censor the secret knowledge of making a better beer.

The headmaster glasses really aren't the answer. They are just props that serve a purpose in a commercial setting, with commercial beer in mind. And, really, they aren't enhancing a good brew, but a bad one.

Does Redoak use etched glasses ? No

Paddys @ Flemington ? No

Four Pines ? No

The Lord Nelson ?

Back