Not For Horses is launching very soon and we need you!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're going to struggle to make it attractive to brewers outside of Tassie, but I still sincerely wish you every success in your venture....

Ross

I know I'm up against it. I have to compete with the likes of JW. It would be mad to think that a tiny operation running in a sub leased factory in Launceston could possibly compete on price with an enormous, now multi national conglomerate that has been operating for more than a century.
But that is not my intention.
I know you're right Ross, I will struggle with mainland brewers and my core business will be Tasmanian craft brewers but I don't want to forget the homebrewers. That's where I started all those years ago. I want them to be a part of my story.

Not For Horses said:
I know I'm up against it. I have to compete with the likes of JW. It would be mad to think that a tiny operation running in a sub leased factory in Launceston could possibly compete on price with an enormous, now multi national conglomerate that has been operating for more than a century.
But that is not my intention.
I know you're right Ross, I will struggle with mainland brewers and my core business will be Tasmanian craft brewers but I don't want to forget the homebrewers. That's where I started all those years ago. I want them to be a part of my story.
Is your business model to sell direct to the public, wholesale or both?

Mostly I'll be dealing directly with brewers but I will do some wholesale and bulk buys on AHB and local pickup for Tassie buyers.

Great stuff mate...

Live the dream.

I wish you all the best.

Nibbo

First time i've used kickstarter, i signed up especially so i could pledge for this. Awesome idea NFH, all the best with it.

I kind of hope that this turns out to be the best malt available in Australia. That way all the mainlanders can understand what we have to go through to get malt. You blokes have it easy.
Cheers
LB

LagerBomb said:
I kind of hope that this turns out to be the best malt available in Australia. That way all the mainlanders can understand what we have to go through to get malt. You blokes have it easy.
Cheers
LB
By that do you mean relying on online orders for your malt because your LHBS is too far to travel to?? Thats not confined to Tassie just quietly

Sorry, LHBS doesnt stock grain, and the nearest place is 4 hour drive. Not to mention the shit fight I had with quarantine about bringing grain into the state. Shits me really as Joe White malting is 30 minutes up the road, but we can only buy it from Melbourne.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
JW only malt pilsner malt in Tassie. All other JW malt comes from the mainland.
JW malt both pilsner and pale here and Tassie. You can buy direct from Devonport in 500kg lots, but sales go through Bintani in Melbourne.

itmechanic said:
JW malt both pilsner and pale here and Tassie. You can buy direct from Devonport in 500kg lots, but sales go through Bintani in Melbourne.
Oh, that's not what the dude I know who works at the Devonport (Spreyton) one told me - he said that they only do the Pils malt there and Geelong? do the Pale. I got a bit that fell on the floor, but I asked for Pale and could only get Pils. Having said that, I do actually rate their pils nicely. Makes a great Belgian and Saison.

Unless they changed, or he only does a certain type - he operates the computer systems and stuff in there and is worried about it all being moved to the mainland because they only produce one variety.

Or I've got it wrong, I've been know to do that :D

LagerBomb said:
Sorry, LHBS doesnt stock grain, and the nearest place is 4 hour drive. Not to mention the shit fight I had with quarantine about bringing grain into the state. Shits me really as Joe White malting is 30 minutes up the road, but we can only buy it from Melbourne.

So you have to order online like people in Sydney have to, got it :)

To be honest, I've not found it that much harder to get base ingredients in Tassie than Brissie.

The big difference is not being able to decide to brew and make up a recipe and duck down to craftbrewer and get it sorted and milled for me.

BUT!....... If you are bulk buying and milling your own grain, and acquiring large amount of hops and storing them - then no issue. Oh, and there's no bulk buy or ability to grab the range of craftbrewer in terms of spec malts (Acidulated malt for example). But it's not that bad.

The only real issue is yeast. I buy large numbers of sachets online to spread the postage cost.

Hands up if you ever met Uncle Joe though? Or the farmers that actually grow your grain?
That's exactly what I'm about. Having a greater connection to the food and drink that you consume.
I know that doesn't mean much to some people but I'd like to think it matters.

Not For Horses said:
Hands up if you ever met Uncle Joe though? Or the farmers that actually grow your grain?
That's exactly what I'm about. Having a greater connection to the food and drink that you consume.
I know that doesn't mean much to some people but I'd like to think it matters.
Good idea NFH - certainly the style of things with being in Tassie. Mt Gnomon, Black Ridge Farm, 7 Sheds, 2mt Tall - that sort of closer to source attitude.

And truth be told - all of those aren't cheap products, it's about quality, it's about knowing who produces your food.

is gourmet farmer still on telly? get onto him about putting you in the spotlight. I think your idea to provide that stewardship between growing the grain and malting is brilliant.

Backed and word spread! As Tasmanians, we regularly see grain costing $5 per kilo + shipping, so 25kg of grain for $60, malted just up the road is brilliant.

Alex.Tas said:
is gourmet farmer still on telly? get onto him about putting you in the spotlight. I think your idea to provide that stewardship between growing the grain and malting is brilliant.
He's got another series in the works. He did a bit of filming at 7 Sheds a few months ago.

Latest posts

Back