Not For Horses is launching very soon and we need you!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not For Horses

Reaction score
Hey guys

So a few of you may know that I have been doing spec malts on a small scale as well as malting base malts for a few of the local home brewers in Tassie.
Well the time has come for me to kick things up a notch. I am opening a small scale floor malting operation to supply home brewers and craft brewers alike.
I will be focusing on base malts to start with and hopefully moving back into spec grains when I get established.
Starting things off with 3 base malts at first; a traditional ale malt, a red wheat malt and a lager malt.
You can keep an eye on my website and also like us on facebook if you so desire.
I have also started a kickstarter page to help me get this up and running. I'm sure you can appreciate what a massive task this is for me.
I have included a pledge for backers that I felt would appeal to many of the AG brewers in here. Backers of $60 get a 25kg bag of my traditional ale malt ex factory (this means you can pick up or I can help organise delivery at additional cost).
You could get the 1 tonne bag if you really wanted...
I look forward to continuing support to the homebrew community and AHB.

Anyway, thanks for reading and supporting me over the last however long I have been on AHB for!

Oh, and if you find yourself in Tassie, let me know and I'll try and organise a bit of tour for you.

Linkys:
http://www.notforhorses.com.au/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1957719880/not-for-horses-floor-malted-barley
https://www.facebook.com/not.for.horses

Well done Bill. If you need any sparky work done I know a bloke who will work for grain.

I'd me more than happy to help out with a bulk buy into Melbourne. Pretty sure that a pallet of 40 bags works out to $7 per bag.

Might be a good idea to get you started. The Melbourne bulk buy is about due sometime soon.

Sorry mate, but doesn't KickStarter usually offer a potential gain for the backer?

$100 for a bag of base malt, ex. freight, seems to be very expensive.

True, but I kind of thought the idea was people are helping get a business that they want to see up and running and getting something in return.

Not For Horses said:
I'd me more than happy to help out with a bulk buy into Melbourne. Pretty sure that a pallet of 40 bags works out to $7 per bag.
Anyone know what freight would be? $500? If so, still under $20 a bag...

Damn you being in Tasmania......Thats a few days drive from up here...

Need a months holiday just to go collect a sack of grain. :beerbang:

Ok so I realised that I was a bit stingy with my first offering on kickstarter and I've added a new backer incentive to my campaign. A sack of our ale malt can be had for 60 bucks. Did I mention this is floor malted and almost entirely hand made? Well yeah, it's that.

Organise a bulk buy for a pallet into Melbourne, and I'll be down for a bag of each to try out. That'll be just 37 bags left to flog off. I'm sure the freight will be more effective than single bags out of kickstarter.

Just a question mate, I notice on your site that the bags look like they're in the paper style sacks, like briess. Will they hold up to shipping and handling etc?. Probably a silly question I realise.

I'm getting bags from the flour mill here and they ship around Australia. They are triple walled and pretty tough.

I'm in. The sooner the better for Tassie brewers I say. We always struggle with grain supplies, particularly up here in the NW. The fact I can possibly get my grain pretty much on my door step is a massive bonus for me.
Good luck with this NFH.
Cheers
LB

I do plan on returning to spec malts in the near future. I would really like to get my crystal malts happening on a large scale but that is definitely going to take second place to the floor malting.

Well all things going well, I'd say it will be a couple of months so probably some time around November. I have an order with one of our local brewers who has been a huge moral supporter and I have interest from other brewers as well but my intention has always been to keep product available to you guys as homebrewers.

I put my money where my mouth is and backed NFH. Good luck hitting the target, I'm looking forward to having more options to brew with!

Latest posts

Back