Not Enough Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkey44

Reaction score
Help. My brew (bottled december 2008) is flat, I didn't add enough sugar, can I add after this amount of time and sit it longer???

Yes, it should still carbonate.....but when in december was it bottled, early or late? December did, after all, only finish 8 days ago. ;) and what temp has it been at since then? It may just need more time...

Yes, it should still carbonate.....but when in december was it bottled, early or late? December did, after all, only finish 8 days ago. ;) and what temp has it been at since then? It may just need more time...

I bottled on the 13th dec and it's been mostly about 35 deg Celcius but about 30 where the beer was.

I bottled on the 13th dec and it's been mostly about 35 deg Celcius but about 30 where the beer was.

As far as I'm aware (and from what I can remember from the DVD that came with my brew kit) temp should be a lot lower than 30C in and around the 18-20C mark. It might be possible that you killed the yeast, or a large portion of them, and as a result either carbonation is taking longer or won't happen.

Aaron

ebit: by the way how big are the bottles and how much sugar did you add?

hell just shake em up before you open em...

Bttle carb can go higher than ferment, low 20's would be good. It's not as important at that stage, most of the flavour has been set....30C shouldn't have killed the yeast, it will take (usually) hotter temps than that.

26 days in the bottle at 30, it should be well carbed by now, though.

I would say re-prime....but am also interested, what was the priming rate originally?

Used 700gm in the initial fermenting stage, kept at between 24 - 30deg. Bottled in 740ml bottles with 1 carb drop (instead of 2!) . I think I'll just reprime and hope for the best! The batch before that turned out bloody beaut and it was in 30 deg most of the time. Just too little sugar after bottling. :) Thanks all... LOL at shaking before opening!

Latest posts

Back