Not enough fizz in kegs!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James_Dru

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been kegging for a little bit now but a little stumped why it's hard to get the right amount of fizz in my beer.
I have tried a few things, 31 psi for 48 hours, 35 for 60 hours and now 40psi for 48 hours.
My beer tastes good, plenty of head (in some cases a little to much) but the beer is no where near as fizzy as I would like it to be, especially when you compare it to a commercial tap beer at a local...
Has anyone had a similar problem or know what I can do to fix it?
I've been searching these threads for a while and I can't find anyone needing to do longer hours at 40psi (only if there doing lower psi for weeks)
Also I like the method I'm doing so not interested in the shake for 30min method.
Thanks for your help

Have you tryed a carb stone? Kegking I think sell em with a attached lid for corneys. Do you carb down the liquid post? I've just carbed a keg down the out post for 2 days at 25psi and it's lacking bubbles. Going back to carb her sum more. Some brews I find such as pale ales don't need so much carb. Whata Ya brewing?

Wait so you're not happy with the results but you don't want to change your method?

Too much head, not enough fizz, then too much CO2 is coming out of solution. Maybe due to turbulence when you pour the beer, or the beer is warming up between keg and glass.

Increase serving pressure to increase dissolved CO2, but in your case you would probably get even more head.

How long is your beer line (and diameter) and what kind of tap are you using and where is it?

mstrelan I don't like shacking my beer up that much but also plenty of people do it my way and have better results that's why I don't want to change

Tropico thanks for the input my beer definitely not warming up fridge is cold and all lines are obviously all in the fridge with taps on the outside. Head isn't always a problem only with particular beers, beer line is maybe 1.5 metres long with standard taps from the country Brewer lines are 8mm in diameter as was supplied again with country Brewer.
Any more thoughts ??

Ive always carb down the co2 hole where u put it for pouring.. Is it better down the beer line? I'm currently carbing 2 at the moment a cascade and a hop rocker I want the cascade a fair bit more fizzy than the hop rocker....

James_Dru said:
Tropico thanks for the input my beer definitely not warming up fridge is cold and all lines are obviously all in the fridge with taps on the outside. Head isn't always a problem only with particular beers, beer line is maybe 1.5 metres long with standard taps from the country Brewer lines are 8mm in diameter as was supplied again with country Brewer.
Any more thoughts ??
I could only suggest your line length is too short. what pressure do you have your kegs at?

Edit: There is also a temperature profile inside your fridge, the bottom (where the beer is drawn from) is cooler than the top, and your taps on the outside may take a few beers to cool down from outside ambient air temperature

So your saying that adding a metre or so would significantly increase the fizziness of the beer? I don't understand why that would make any difference... Your right it does take a few pours to cool the taps down but even when they are the beer doesn't change.
My pressure for pouring is dependent on the beer and head situation between 3-8 psi.....

James_Dru said:
So your saying that adding a metre or so would significantly increase the fizziness of the beer? I don't understand why that would make any difference... Your right it does take a few pours to cool the taps down but even when they are the beer doesn't change.
My pressure for pouring is dependent on the beer and head situation between 3-8 psi.....
No, I'm not saying that increasing the line length would increase the fuzziness at all. However. it would reduce the rate at which the beer comes out of your tap and therefore reduce turbulence and reduce the foaming. Also this would allow you to increase you serving pressure, which will increase the dissolved CO2, thus increasing your fizziness.

You could have a look at some of the threads and recommendations on balancing your system.

If you are not satisfied with your current results you will have to change something to get what you want.

Edit: do not reject that which you cannot understand, for with acceptance may come understanding.

You need to increase the length of your line so that it pours fine at about 10-14ish psi depending on the temperature of your fridge and the amount of dissolved co2 you want in solution. If you are pouring at 3-8psi, your beer is going flat over time.

Edit: I think my lines are 5mm ID. I would start with 4m of line and chop half a metre off each time until you find a pour rate that you like with a psi in the 10-14 range. If your lines are 8mm ID (which I doubt) you will need considerably longer lines.

Yes I will thanks for your help I wish there was a local club or something so I could try others and discuss in person. Always hard to explain via text on a forum.....

Thanks for all your help by the way I'm not 10 years old I'm not 'rejecting what I don't understand' as you say, merely making a statement for you to comeback with a constructive answer which you did. If I couldn't handle different opinions I wouldn't have asked the question....
Good thoughts about the line length though I will be giving it a go.... There's gunna be a lot of wrapped up line in the fridge though!!!!:)

5mm ID, 3m long @ 12 psi and 4 degrees. That's what mine is and it pours great.

You need longer lines to increase resistance on the way to the tap. Or a smaller ID line.

To rule out carbing method just leave at 12 psi for two weeks.

ed> moad you got in as I was typing

ima keg noob and been having the same problem, nice beer but a but full or cloying or something body - lacking any fizz or bead

keg and pluto gun in fridge, serving at 12psi, nice creamy head but no bubbles - though I don't have the co2 hooked up until I pour (could that be a problem too, d'oh?) does it need to be hooked up constantly?

other than the above, the line is short from liquid-out to glass so will go to 4mtrs and cut off half or a third of a meter till it's there, thanks!

however, does that mean that even if I only have one gun I should have different lengths for lager, pale ale, stout?

droid said:
however, does that mean that even if I only have one gun I should have different lengths for lager, pale ale, stout?
No, just pick a length which works for a standard type brew. You do have some flexibility so itll still pour fine with a lower or higher carbed brew.

It has good bubbles Kev R but it's the taste of the fizz, it just tastes a little flat....

Latest posts

Back