"Northern Savage" Wee Heavy Scotch Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photo

image.jpg

So I just put on a new brew of this one... Differences are that I used WYeast 1728 instead of Nottingham. And I've also thrown in some oak chips...

IanH's spreadsheet said I should expect an OG of 1.098.

I forgot to take the OG until a few hours after I'd pitched the yeast (which I'd made into a 2L starter first).

My OG is so G that its off the scale! My hydrometer won't measure that much G! I'm estimating about 1.120!

Is that because of the yeast or did I do something wrong?

If it's because of the yeast, do I just trust IanH's Spreadsheet?

I'm not familiar with the spreadsheet. What was the recipe again?

Hi bigj

The recipe is the first post of this thread. The only different is that that I put oak chips in, and instead of using 2 breiss kits, I used one breiss and one black rock amber. Th black rock was 1.7kg where the breiss was 1.5, so I adjusted the LDME too...

Th first batch I made is turning out to be a fantastic beer. It's an easy recipe that I'd recommend to anyone... Maybe tone down the malt a little, but wow. I'm really happy with it.

Hey mate, how'd the second version turn out?

I'm interested in making a 10L batch of a strong scotch ale and have been tossing up between notto or s04 and Wyeast 1728.

Currently my plan is to use two Briess Munich LME, some roast barley and dark crystal, and then bitter with EKG so interested to hear how the second version turned out and also how the first version improved with time.

Cheers mate.

The first batch is going really well. There are only a few bottles left though!!!

The second batch is even better although it's still quite new. The oak really added an extra dimension.

Really recommend it, but I'd cut down on the malt a bit so that I could get an accurate reading on the IG and therefore the ABV.

Okay thanks mate, quite keen to give it a try when I get time. Will probably try to keep the gravity around 1.080-1.090 and since I'm only doing a 10L batch should be able to do a full boil which will be interesting regrading the malt character.

I have heard about caramelising a smaller portion of wort and adding it near the end of boil, so I may drop the crystal malt and give it a try to see how the caramel/malty flavour comes out.

If it's only a 10l batch then it gives you heaps of room to play. I'd suggest trying a really basic batch as a baseline. Then do other stuff as you go.

Also with a small batch you'll need some serious discipline to not finish it before it's aged properly. Good luck with THAT!

Rosscomatic said:
If it's only a 10l batch then it gives you heaps of room to play. I'd suggest trying a really basic batch as a baseline. Then do other stuff as you go.

Also with a small batch you'll need some serious discipline to not finish it before it's aged properly. Good luck with THAT!
Yeah great idea, my base line will be the munich malt lme as I'm interested to try the difference compared to the general ldme I use. And after having dirty ******* and moonshine scotch ale, pretty keen to have a scotch ale in stock

Yeah I think ill just have to hide it somewhere and forget about it.. Or maybe just brew another batch of beer to take my mind of it! :p

Latest posts

Back