Noobie Here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol....that's guys. Bottled them up tonight, ABV is a little low, have learnt a few things for the next brew.

Will have a try in a couple of weeks.......now to start thinking about my second brew!

As someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, get Ian's spreadsheet and have a play around with adding dme, hops etc. If you're really adventurous, maybe even steep some crystal. You'll be amazed how much better it will taste than just using dextrose or brew enhancer.

Obvoiusly concentrate on the basics like temp control and sanitation, but if you got those figured out then go for it. :)

I'll disagree with the others and encourage you to drink your brew as often as you like. Especially within your first few brews, the more you taste your beer the more you'll understand about each process and how your beer ages. Go nuts.

Well three weeks later and I have had one of these beers.....not too bad at all! Pretty exciting to be drinking beer that I made and it doesn't taste like crap! Bottling my second in a week or so, a Canadian blonde and am looking to do an IPA next. One of the best things I have done and will save me a fortune ! Thanks for all thr help guys!

If you're looking at a kit IPA, I recommend the Coopers one. On their website it's called "Authentic IPA", scaled down to 20L.

Don't know about authentic, but still a very nice drop.

World's easiest IPA....Toucan!

e.g. 2 cans of Coopers Sparkling Ale, 300gm dextrose into 23 litres = 53 IBU, 5.5% alc, FG 1011.

If you want more mouthfeel (less dry), and would prefer more IBU/less abv...drop the dex, top up to only 20 litres = 61 IBU, 5.2% alc...FG of 1013.

carniebrew said:
World's easiest IPA....Toucan!

e.g. 2 cans of Coopers Sparkling Ale, 300gm dextrose into 23 litres = 53 IBU, 5.5% alc, FG 1011.

If you want more mouthfeel (less dry), and would prefer more IBU/less abv...drop the dex, top up to only 20 litres = 61 IBU, 5.2% alc...FG of 1013.
What yeast would you use for that Carniebrew? Going to get my second fermenter cracking away this week... I'd forgotten how addictive brewing gets when it starts tasting good :D

US-05 for me, although recultured yeast from a Coopers bottle would be sweet too....

Carniebrew, can I confirm that your IPA toucan is just the two cans and yeast, with dex as a thinner? Nothing more (aside from water)? Seems a little too simple. Which I like.

Sorry, but yuck... Not an IPA just an unbalanced bitter brew in my opinion.. IPA's should have a good balance between the malt and the hops which a tucan won't have, never will by itself.

cremmerson said:
Carniebrew, can I confirm that your IPA toucan is just the two cans and yeast, with dex as a thinner? Nothing more (aside from water)? Seems a little too simple. Which I like.
Hey cremmerson
I'd be wary of a two can Sparkling Ale, especially if you haven't by chance sampled the Sparkling kit on its own. To me it is not in the top 10 Coopers kits and for me two cans of it would be simply unpalatable.
Yob sums it up pretty well.
For an IP, from a kit, I'd be looking at a simple one can Coopers IPA, a kilo of LDM, 250g of Victory Malt, 250g of Dextrose, 23 litres and then hops of your choice, I used (St) Ella 10g @ 7mins, 15g @ 3 mins and 25g @ 30mins. I fermented with S04 but if I did it again I would use a liquid English Ale yeast

cremmerson said:
No easier than 2 cans and yeast, for sure. There's obviously tastier ways to do it, so it's up to you how much you want to balance ease vs end result.

Coopers give a good example under the "Strong" section of their brewer's guild: http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/authentic-ipa

That brew would give you something like 6% and 45 IBU. Similar BU:GU ratio (.8) as the toucan sparkling ale, so Yob will probably still hate it....but each to their own.

carniebrew said:
Yob will probably still hate it....but each to their own.
cant see a reason not to, it's boring as shit for anyone with a moderate amount of brewing experience, the reviews from that kit Ive read, when I was a forum member over there, indicated it was one of the better kits, sure, but still needed a bit of pimping up with fresh grain and fresh hops, and that doesnt mean half a kg of dex.

Carnie, Melbourne Brewers have a kit brewing comp every year, Id be happy to enter a bottle for you when it comes up. I'll brew one too but I will make my old partial type recipe and hop additions and see what the judges say....

damn.. that would mean getting another fecking coopers can <_<

carniebrew said:
No easier than 2 cans and yeast, for sure. There's obviously tastier ways to do it, so it's up to you how much you want to balance ease vs end result.

Coopers give a good example under the "Strong" section of their brewer's guild: http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/authentic-ipa

That brew would give you something like 6% and 45 IBU. Similar BU:GU ratio (.8) as the toucan sparkling ale, so Yob will probably still hate it....but each to their own.
Whereas this brew would more than likely be too bitter for me, I recognise that it is exactly what some people want.
Last week I purchased two 500ml bottles of Stella IPA from the Seven Sheds Brewery in Northern Tassie. This thing was as bitter as heel with zero aroma, and to me little taste. However they are making them and have a market for them.

If cremmerson is in this boat then OK, just not for me :super:

VonScott said:
For an IP, from a kit, I'd be looking at a simple one can Coopers IPA, a kilo of LDM, 250g of Victory Malt, 250g of Dextrose, 23 litres and then hops of your choice...
Have you done this yourself? Do you get much flavour out of the Victory seeing as it's not going to be mashed?

Hey carpedaym

Victroy Malt is OK to steep. I didn't use it with my Stella IPA, I used 400g of Crystal Malt. However I used it in my latest Stella driven APA, 150g, and it seems to work well with this hop. This led me to believe that it would be a good match to my Stella IPA recipe. However as I have moved out of brewing with kits I am not in a position to test my theory.

Latest posts

Back