Noobie Here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cremmerson said:
Carniebrew, can I confirm that your IPA toucan is just the two cans and yeast, with dex as a thinner?
Common misconception that dex, or simple sugars by their addition, will thin out a beer. It won't.

Now, if you brewed two beers the same but added a high percentage of the overall fermentables as dextrose or plain sugar, and then did the same beer but REPLACED the dextrose/plain sugar with malt (liquid or dry), or grain of the same quantity, then yes the dex version may appear thinner, but dex won't magically thin out a beer by adding to a recipe.

Not trying to nitpick, but it's a relatively common mistake for the new brewer.

Yob said:
Carnie, Melbourne Brewers have a kit brewing comp every year, Id be happy to enter a bottle for you when it comes up. I'll brew one too but I will make my old partial type recipe and hop additions and see what the judges say....

damn.. that would mean getting another fecking coopers can <_<
Huh? You lost me on this one...why would you enter a bottle for me into a kit brewing comp? And why would you make a 'partial type recipe' for a kit comp? Is that even allowed?

I think this thread's gotten a bit lost...I thought the request was for a really simple IPA type recipe, someone said "looks too simple, which I like"...so I made a suggestion. I didn't say it would win any comps...of course you can jazz a kit up with a partial mash, steeped grain, small volume hop boils, dry hopping...etc...but it's not exactly 'simple' any more, right?

Sorry if I'm just losing track...I don't use/read AHB all day every day so sometimes I get my threads crossed. I thought this one was about really simple kit brews.

... So you offer a tucan as a simple recipe? Hmmm.. Dry hopping an apa (or IPA) can is about as simple as it gets with fantastic results (for a new brewer) I would suggest a number of things before a tucan..

And yes to your questions, partials are allowed, from memory you just need to use a kit as a base, it's a good comp. Lots of fun, its pretty informal so no hard and fast rules.

Yep, I suggested a toucan as a simple way to make an IPA, and included a recipe as an example, with a BU:GU of 0.8. You said yuk and told us it would be horribly unbalanced. And now have told us that you have numerous alternative suggestions. But the closest you seem to have come to sharing them is to say we should dry hop an IPA for fantastic results. My turn to say hmmmm...

I dont think steeping grain is complicated, (makes for a nicer beer) I dont think adding malt is complicated, (makes for a nicer beer) I dont think adding hops is complicated.. (makes for a nicer beer)

I DO think a tucan is not the right way to go. (too much bittering without a balance of flavour and aroma hops)

If you think a tucan (as you listed) is a good beer.. get one judged... I for one would be happy to make a simple (in my eyes) kit IPA to stand against it.

Simple it may be.. a decent and balanced IPA I sincerely doubt.

anyway.. whateve's

carniebrew said:
Huh? You lost me on this one...why would you enter a bottle for me into a kit brewing comp? And why would you make a 'partial type recipe' for a kit comp? Is that even allowed?

I think this thread's gotten a bit lost...I thought the request was for a really simple IPA type recipe, someone said "looks too simple, which I like"...so I made a suggestion. I didn't say it would win any comps...of course you can jazz a kit up with a partial mash, steeped grain, small volume hop boils, dry hopping...etc...but it's not exactly 'simple' any more, right?

Sorry if I'm just losing track...I don't use/read AHB all day every day so sometimes I get my threads crossed. I thought this one was about really simple kit brews.
Hey carnie

Looks like I made the exact mistake when I posted to this thread, missed the key term "simple" because I didn't read the full thread.
For a third brew perhaps my Stella IPA is not that simple. However simple IPAs are good, and I have just tapped a keg of Moteuka Slam IPA - a simple recipe that any new brewer could master. I think the Coopers IPA is among their top three kits.

VonScott, not even sure what floats my boat yet. My designed stout is in a holding pattern for two months in the hope bottle conditioning will bring it back to this side of lethal, but a Golden Ale I'm now waiting on is buttery hoppy gorgeous.

I will try a bitter at some point to round out my education but I think we may be within shouting distance.

But a great thread here that is making me think about getting a second FV... For science, of course.

And as for the simplicity debate (just read above), I'm loving this thread because I thought a toucan would be simplest but am now happy with steeping and playing with hops. There are some really great suggestions, so thanks all.

The competitions? Meh. Private consumption for a while yet.

Comments was more to illustrate the point that a tucan may be 'easy' but doesn't necessarily make for better beer.

Enjoy the smells and processes.

Latest posts

Back