Noobie Here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cavey said:
Threes days in, down to 1022, coming along slowly. Is there any reason why I can't leave the krausen collar in? There hasn't been a lot of foam to date and I would prefer not to disturb?? Thoughts?
No big deal leaving the collar in, it can be removed to prevent crap falling back into your brew, if the krausen isn't very heavy don't bother imo.

If you do a brew that has heavy deposits i'd say to take it off, some might get knocked in by the lid knocking down with pressure releases. I've not used one of those new kits though, mine are all airlock carboys & buckets.

Ah, I remember about 12 months ago I was in the exact same position. Got the Coopers DIY kit for Xmas, and thought I'd surf the net for some tips on temp control and homebrewing in general. I came across AHB and read all this stuff about malt extracts, specialty yeasts, kegging and all grain. I thought 'I couldn't be bothered with all that stuff, if I can make decent beer from kits, maybe a few hops, that'll be fine'. I now have a dedicated fermentation fridge with STC1000, have experimented with a variety of different yeasts, malt extracts, specialty grains and hops, won an award at the NSW champs and National champs, and have just finished installing my keg system. I've acquired a 40 odd litre pot, and as soon as the finances allow, I'll be getting the rest of the gear together to do my first BIAB. Be warned, this is a very addictive hobby but a shitload of fun. Good luck with it and keep asking questions, no matter how stupid they seem. You may get the odd smart arse reply, but on the whole this place is a fountain of knowledge.

Cheers,

Regarding the krausen collar, just leave it in. I know the DVD that comes with the kit says to take it out after a few days, but I prefer not to play around with it once the wort is in the fermenter. Every time you open it there is a chance of getting an infection, albeit small if careful, but not worth the risk IMO. Once finished after about two weeks, just pop the collar in the dishwasher.

Don't take too many gravity samples, there's no need. Give it a week, then take one, and then again two or three days later. Once FG is reached, leave it there for a few more days. I've found that two to three weeks is ample time, for kit brews, usually two.

Good luck with it mate, and don't expect too much from your first brew. It may turn out great, it may not...but it will probably be fine. :)

Just be patient, I know you won't though, nobody is the first time. :lol:

cavey said:
Threes days in, down to 1022, coming along slowly. Is there any reason why I can't leave the krausen collar in? There hasn't been a lot of foam to date and I would prefer not to disturb?? Thoughts?
Nope, no reason at all. Most FV's don't even have a krausen collar, it's a bit of a gimmick to be honest. Just leave 'er alone.

carniebrew said:
Nope, no reason at all. Most FV's don't even have a krausen collar, it's a bit of a gimmick to be honest. Just leave 'er alone.
I guess it would come in handy if doing a beer with a very active fermentation and LOTS of krausen, there is heaps of space there. Other than that, you're right, a bit of a gimmick.

It does make cleaning the FV a little easier though, as you can just chuck the collar in the diswasher. The bulk of the crap is on the collar leaving the rest of the fermenter pretty clean...except the shit at the bottom.

At 7 days sitting at 1014.... Will give it a few days and check again.

That seems a little bit slow, but I wouldn't worry. Most kits that I brewed reached FG in about 5-7 days, but every brew is different.

What temp are you brewing at? I'm guessing the FG should be about 1.008?

If it hasn't moved by the next reading in a few days, make sure it's in the sweet spot (18-22 degrees or thereabouts), and give it a gentle swirl. I think you'll be sweet though :) There's no rush to get it out of the fermenter.

The lager is pretty bulletproof - and when I got onto doing partial mashes the lager was always my base kit of choice - also Cerveza and Canadian for lighter coloured beers. When you get a bit more confident a good one to try is two cans of lager. Nothing else, just two cans (called a Toucan on the forums for some strange reason) :lol: - a very tasty brew indeed.

Bribie do you use kit yeast with that toucan? Sounds like something I could keep on hand for dad to drink when he visits, Does it give a nice pale lager or does the two kits make it a bit darker, I've been working hard for the last couple of years to convince dad to broaden his horizons a bit. To quote him "crown lager is the worlds greatest beer, Why would I bother with anything else?"

I just used to use one kit yeast as it froths alarmingly unless you keep it well below 20 - colour is a wee bit darker, a bit like Fat Yak in colour. Not too bitter either.

Yeah fermenting at 18-20 degrees. I also used an American ale yeast kit instead of the one that came with it.

At 7 days it was at 1014, now day 11 and sitting at 1015?? So over last 4 days no movement? Thoughts?

Put it in the bottle and you're one step closer to drinking it!!

carniebrew said:
Put it in the bottle and you're one step closer to drinking it!!
Hate to say it but you need to be patient here too. You can pop open a bottle and have a taste after about two weeks, but I'd recommend leaving it 3 or 4 weeks. After a couple of weeks it will probably be drinkable...just. After 4, it will be delicious.

Everyone seems to have different opinions here, but I generally leave mine out of the fridge, but somewhere dark, for at least three weeks. Then put in the fridge. I never used to leave it out of the fridge for that long but that seems to give me a much nicer tasting beer. You'll no doubt get some differing opions on this, but each to their own.

Ok....cool. Thanks guys I will bottle up tonight and go from there.

Cheers

wbosher said:
Hate to say it but you need to be patient here too. You can pop open a bottle and have a taste after about two weeks, but I'd recommend leaving it 3 or 4 weeks. After a couple of weeks it will probably be drinkable...just. After 4, it will be delicious.

Everyone seems to have different opinions here, but I generally leave mine out of the fridge, but somewhere dark, for at least three weeks. Then put in the fridge. I never used to leave it out of the fridge for that long but that seems to give me a much nicer tasting beer. You'll no doubt get some differing opions on this, but each to their own.
He's right...but you're new....go on...open a stubby after 5 days and try it. You know you want toooooooooo

I just opened my latest Pale Ale after 5 days in the bottle...lots of Nelson Sauvin and Cascade.....mmmm.....I'm ummm errr just testing.....

carniebrew said:
He's right...but you're new....go on...open a stubby after 5 days and try it. You know you want toooooooooo

I just opened my latest Pale Ale after 5 days in the bottle...lots of Nelson Sauvin and Cascade.....mmmm.....I'm ummm errr just testing.....
The only problem I have with opening up too early is you end up drinking it all before it reaches it's best. Did that a couple of brews ago, beer was ok so kept drinking it. The last two bottles had been sitting for about a month were absolutely delicious...then they were gone. :(

Back