Noob Brewer With Crazy Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just throw em' in the fermenter re others reply's, the main probs with the t-ball things is that if you over pack them then the hops are too squashed in there to get full use of them, and another is the little pin that holds alot of them together aren't SS, so they will rust and eventually, possibly, spoil the brew

Hi everyone thanks for the encouragment and positive feedback.

after 48 hours my jCPA is actively fermenting and krausen has formed and temp is steady at 18 (+ or - 1*). I'm very excited about this beer even though it's my second attempt :D

I'm not sure if I'll be racking this one to secondary, depends how soon I can get another fermenter (might see if Coles are still flogging the coopers kits dirt cheap). And a question to you experienced k&k/k&b brewers. If I want to dry hop this bad boy like I'm going to with some Amarillo; should I rack then dry hop?

Thanks again for being awesome peoples.

Racking is not necessary at your stage of brewing and is likely to increase the risk of infection unless down right

Just chuck the hop pellets in ( they have a natural antiseptic quality so almost never infect beer and they sink to the bottom of the fermennter.

You beer will come out a bit like james squires golden ale or fat yak so if you like those beers you are in for a treat

Just remember 90%. Of first time brewing mistakes are infections and temp control . Get these down pat and its hard to make a really bad kit beer.

Welcome btw

Hi everyone thanks for the encouragment and positive feedback.

after 48 hours my jCPA is actively fermenting and krausen has formed and temp is steady at 18 (+ or - 1*). I'm very excited about this beer even though it's my second attempt :D

I'm not sure if I'll be racking this one to secondary, depends how soon I can get another fermenter (might see if Coles are still flogging the coopers kits dirt cheap). And a question to you experienced k&k/k&b brewers. If I want to dry hop this bad boy like I'm going to with some Amarillo; should I rack then dry hop?

Thanks again for being awesome peoples.

Coles are flogging the coopers micro bre kit for 25$ up here

That's pretty good value since they are normally 80$

You get frermenter and coopers pet bottles and a can of coopers lager

Thanks again for the responses guys. Tonight i'll weight out 20gm of hops and just toss em in and hope for the best! I have a small set of digital scales, can I just pop the pellets out onto say some tin foil then drop em into the fermeter??

ALso I think I read (here) somewhere that once opened I should keep my remaining hops sealed and in the freezer?

Thanks again for the responses guys. Tonight i'll weight out 20gm of hops and just toss em in and hope for the best! I have a small set of digital scales, can I just pop the pellets out onto say some tin foil then drop em into the fermeter??

ALso I think I read (here) somewhere that once opened I should keep my remaining hops sealed and in the freezer?

Junkz,

Yep just measure them out on your foil or a small bowl, saucer, whatever. It doesn't matter.

Re the freezer - Yes, always keep them in the freezer, sealed in a zip lock bag or similar.

Cheers

Scott

Hi folks me again lol.

Well I did it, I measured out my 20gm of amarillo onto a fresh bit of alu foil and shook the pellets into my fermenter. My krousen is almost gone and a SG reading was 1013 which indicates primary fermentation is pretty much finished. However after popping the lid back on and half an hour later, my bubbler is going a bit nuts. Does dry hopping create a bit of gas in the beer? I'm not completely convinced fermentation is fully finished either as the sample I took tonight still had a LOT of stuff in it despite it smelling and tasting really good. I played around with Ians spreadsheet today at work and chucked my recipe into it and it claimed FG should be around 1015 but it appears theres some unfinished business going on.

Thoughts?

Hi everyone! Thought I'd give you a small update on the outcome of this beer 2 weeks after bottling. It hasn't quite finished carbonating but OMG the rest of it has impressed the sh1t out of me!

It's a very clear, golden colour a nice combination of bitterness and maltiness with that delicious but not overpowering hop aroma from the dry hopped amarillo. I thought when sampling and bottling that it might be a bit overpowering but soooo far from it it's there but totally not invasive.

Another few weeks conditioning and this is going to be a winner.

Thank you all again for the positive, helpful advice!

P.S. My muntons is coming along nicely, though fermenatation has slowed down somewhat.

thats good to hear. I done a stunner beer but the recipe I have for it is different as I ran out of some hops only thing forgot to write down what went in :eek: so I am now trying to replicate it .this time its a little different again as I only used from memory 8g of centennial so thought it was usless to put in (maybe its not) will find out i guess lol

Back