Non fermentable method of back-sweetening cider.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off the cuff, how about malto-dextrin? Might not actually "sweeten", but would give some perceived body/sweetnes?

Der! 'Just realised how old this question/thread was....

Glad you brought it back. I realised I hadn't reported on my pasteuring attempt.
The pasreurising appears to be a sucess, with a slightly sweet cider. However even though the control PET was hard I had not left it long enough and there is only slight carbonation in the poured cider.

NealK said:
Has anyone tried using juice with preservatives to back sweeten after fermentation? Would the preservatives stop it from fermenting?
Unfortunately no. The preservative isn't bonded to the juice molecules you just added, it disperses right through the cider. Once you add that preserved juice to the bulk of the cider, the preservative is diluted as well. So it will no longer be strong enough to prevent fermentation.

If you want to use preservatives, you need to add them in sufficient quantity to the bulk of the coder. That's what you do when you use sulphites and sorbate to stabilise cider.

Cheers
Dave

sp0rk said:
If you don't like Splenda/Stevia/etc, give Norbu a try it's another natural sweetener
I found it didn't have all those nasty flavours that stevia does
I've read mixed reports about Stevia. It sounds like the flavour can vary depending on the brand and formulation (granulated, drops etc). Most of what I've read has been from o/s so I'd bee keen to get an Aussie perspective so I know which brands to try or avoid. I'm curious about this "Norbu" too, never heard of it but I'll give it a go. I'm not trying to make lollywater, just take a little edge off the dryness (without using lactose, artificial sweeteners or mucking around pasturising).

Im glad this thread came up again, ive got this exact dilemma right now

Ive gotta make some cider for friends who don't have kegs, although I do.

Would it work if I fermented it out to dry, put it in a keg and back sweetened with apple juice. Then add a Camden tablet to stop natural fermentation. Then gas up and bottle off the tap.

Im thinking this might be a good way to get the carbonation right and manage the sweetness with some consistancy

Aces High said:
Im glad this thread came up again, ive got this exact dilemma right now

Ive gotta make some cider for friends who don't have kegs, although I do.

Would it work if I fermented it out to dry, put it in a keg and back sweetened with apple juice. Then add a Camden tablet to stop natural fermentation. Then gas up and bottle off the tap.

Im thinking this might be a good way to get the carbonation right and manage the sweetness with some consistancy
Yes.

What would happen if you were to use use more sugar than the abv capacity of the yeast? I'm sure that someone would've mentioned if this were a done thing, but I'm curious whether this would result in residual sugar once the yeast has done it's thing.

Zedit said:
What would happen if you were to use use more sugar than the abv capacity of the yeast? I'm sure that someone would've mentioned if this were a done thing, but I'm curious whether this would result in residual sugar once the yeast has done it's thing.
You almost answered your own question. Yes there would be residual sugar if the yeast can't ferment all the sugar.
It would be 9-18%abv depending on the yeast though, and probably taste pretty terrible.

Back