Non fermentable method of back-sweetening cider.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
My current batch finished dry as buggery. Almost champagne like and a little mouth puckering.
Beside lactose - I really don't like it - is there any other way to add a little sweetness? If the only way is to decant and sweeten in the glass, so be it. But the idea is to crack the bottles, add a little essence (or whatever) than re cap.

Never tried it but some people swear by bottle pasteurisation. Pretty sure there is a how to on homebrewtalk.

There's also stevia - though I can't say I've tried it in a cider.

Bottled, not much you can do other than lactose or artificial sweeteners. If you keg and can keep the keg cold you can use whatever you like.

If it's already carbed in the bottle and you don't mind losing a bit, you can add some sorbate to inhibit the yeast and sweeten with whatever. That will work provided there isn't much yeast in the bottle. You can also add so2 to further stabilise.

I've just had a go at pasteuring a small batch of Pear & Apple cider. I allowed the original to ferment right out and added fresh juice to sweeten. I had a 300ml PET bottle as a guide for carbonation and when it was hard I pasteurised using my Big W stock pot. Was leaving it to chill for a few days before trying. I did notice that after cooling there seemed to be some floaties in the bottles. Don't know if this is yeast or pectins,
Will try a bottle tonight and report.

I have used 'normal' aspartame based Equal before. It works ok, just need to be very careful to not overdo it. I have also tried Stevia and it was so foul I dumped a 19L keg down the drain.

GalBrew said:
I have used 'normal' aspartame based Equal before. It works ok, just need to be very careful to not overdo it. I have also tried Stevia and it was so foul I dumped a 19L keg down the drain.
I tried Equal & Stevia and didn't like the aftertaste. Lactose was OK but you had to use so much of it to get a result and some people are intolerant so giving it away was a problem. Splenda was good for me but some people can detect it. Also there is a difference in the sugar content of Aus made and UK made Splenda. UK Splenda is what seems to be on the shelf at the moment.

Yeah, Splenda has quite a bit of dextrose in it. If you could just buy the sucralose alone it could be a good sweetener for cider.

Airgead said:
Bottled, not much you can do other than lactose or artificial sweeteners. If you keg and can keep the keg cold you can use whatever you like.

If it's already carbed in the bottle and you don't mind losing a bit, you can add some sorbate to inhibit the yeast and sweeten with whatever. That will work provided there isn't much yeast in the bottle. You can also add so2 to further stabilise.
I was thinking about actually re kegging and adding something like a decent blackcurrant concentrate to taste. Pain in the arse, but it's not exactly flying off the shelves at the moment.

If you don't like Splenda/Stevia/etc, give Norbu a try it's another natural sweetener
I found it didn't have all those nasty flavours that stevia does

superstock said:
I've just had a go at pasteuring a small batch of Pear & Apple cider. I allowed the original to ferment right out and added fresh juice to sweeten. I had a 300ml PET bottle as a guide for carbonation and when it was hard I pasteurised using my Big W stock pot. Was leaving it to chill for a few days before trying. I did notice that after cooling there seemed to be some floaties in the bottles. Don't know if this is yeast or pectins,
Will try a bottle tonight and report.
Got home tonight and realised it's only 3 days since I pasteurised and I had put them in the fridge. Took a couple of bottles out and left on the bench at ambient. Will leave for another week before I try and report.

Dave70 said:
I was thinking about actually re kegging and adding something like a decent blackcurrant concentrate to taste. Pain in the arse, but it's not exactly flying off the shelves at the moment.
Might be easiest. Pain in the arse as you say.

Or you can just leave as is and serve with a shot of whatever in the glass. that gives you some variety.... blackcurrant, apple juice, honey, ....

Actually... try brandy and a touch of honey.

I make an apple liqueur that way. Fantastic stuff.

Might give it a go with some jamesons next time and see what happens. Or maybe not... i know what would happen then. The missus who hates whisky wouldn't drink it.

No. Using the right yeast can make a big difference. A good fruit wine yeast can leave the illusion of sweetness.
Age can also help the pucker factor.
I have considered adding a few 100g of crystal to a cider to see if that helps.

Unless you pasteurise a whole batch, sweeten and force carb then it is not possible without shitey chemical/ "natural" sweeteners.

indica86 said:
No. Using the right yeast can make a big difference. A good fruit wine yeast can leave the illusion of sweetness.
71B FTW!

The best result I've had was from back sweetening into a keg with 2L of nice apple juice. Would only work for bottles if you could carb in the keg and then bottle from that. I will certainly think about that for my next batch of cider as I currently have a keg taken up by cider that lasts a lot longer than any of the beer taps.

I've got one of the carbonation caps from keg king that would be great for PET bottles and I wouldn't mind having a few litres of those around, especially coming in to the warmer months.

manticle said:
Blah..cold. The wife will never go for that.

Airgead said:
Actually... try brandy and a touch of honey.

I make an apple liqueur that way. Fantastic stuff.

Might give it a go with some jamesons next time and see what happens. Or maybe not... i know what would happen then. The missus who hates whisky wouldn't drink it.
Getting warmer.

Apple schnapps perhaps?
Visited Wildbrumby distillery with a mate last we were down that way and grabbed a bottle of Pink Lady schnapps. Talk about cloyingly sweet. A shot or two in a schooner of cider would certainly do the trick.

Gotta admit though, had I not been the designated drinker from about Cooma, I may have thought twice before forking out 40 bucks for a 500ml bottle of 18% apple juice. Next time ALDI.

1028054.jpg

Their sour apple schnapps though... Very nice.

My apple liqueur is 2 parts cider to one part brandy. Add honey to taste (I use about 100g for 5l). I age mine for a few months but it tastes pretty good right away.

Has anyone tried using juice with preservatives to back sweeten after fermentation? Would the preservatives stop it from fermenting?

Back