No Yeast Visible In Collected Slurry Sample

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I bottled a brew on the weekend that I had fermented with a starter using a full packet of Wyeast English ale. When I finished I poured about 600mls of cool boiled water into the fermenter, sloshed it around and then poured it into a 2 litre goon. I put this in the fridge to let it cool a bit and seperate, but there is no yeast in their at all.

I have a layer of trub about 3/4 of the goon full then a 1/4 of wort and thats it. No yeast layer at all sitting on top of the trub and nothing still in suspension in the wort. Ive tried shaking it up a few times to see if the yeast had settled into the trub or something but no luck, it just settles with the rub layer and wort layer on top.

I cold conditioned for a week before bottling so I expected to have all the yeast sitting in the bottom.

I put this in the fridge to let it cool a bit and seperate, but there is no yeast in their at all.

try again but this time dont put in fridge and let it settle for about 20 minutes at room temp

If you cold conditioned for a week the yeast could have compacted in the bottom of the fermenter and you might not have swirled it enough to get into suspension and you might have carried over more trub than yeast, I can't remember if that yeast flocs well or not.

Definitely let it warm up and give it a good swirl - sounds as though it was already pretty cool when you transferred it so everything will drop and compact down pretty quickly. Once it's warmed up the trub will drop quicker than the yeast and you'll be able to decant off the good stuff.

thin it out more trueman, put it into 3 bottles at room temp and add 4 x the slurry volume of cooled boiled water and wait 20 mins..

also, THIS HERE would have been a perfect place to add this ;)

I generally find that if im not seeing seperation the slurry is too thick, I often of not always collect from about 3 different bottles.

Yob

What is the actual yeast-strain are you using?
Some 'English Ale' yeast (Wy1968) flocculate like nothing else (into great huge heavy clumps), and so your yeast could easily be settling as quick (or quicker) than the trub.

Thanks.... will try the suggestions made. It was actually British ale 1098, Im home now so was able to check the recipe.
(I knew it had something to do with Pomgolia)

Well not sure how this happened but I put some cooled boiled water into two other containers, shook up the slurry and split 2/3rds of it between the other two containers.

After 20 mins this is the result.

This is the original goon with just trub and wort as it looked before only less volume now.

photo_1__1_.JPG

This is container 2 with what looks like all yeast with a thin wort layer on top.

photo_2__1_.JPG

And this is container 3 with a trub layer, yeast layer and wort layer on top.

photo_3.JPG

Not complaining, this is what I wanted, Im just curious as to how it ended up like this when I shook up the original slurry mix first and poured it sraight into the other two containers.

Not complaining, this is what I wanted, Im just curious as to how it ended up like this when I shook up the original slurry mix first and poured it sraight into the other two containers.
I think you're mixing your yeast and trub; what it looks like and what you have in the containers.
Having said that, by looking at the pictures, I cant see any distinction between them either. ;)

is that at room temperature? It does look to be as I cant see any condensation on the glass...

shake it up and pour off a small portion into a glass, 20mm in a pint glass and top up to near top with water, you might not be seeing the yeast seperation due to the colour of the beer it's in, the experiment will tell you wether it's still too thick for the volume..

It looks to be very thick for the volume you have there mate.

Yeah, still looks like way too much trub to water ratio.

Yes it was at room temp when I took those photos. The first one seemed to be all trub and wort no yeast at all that I could see so I ditched it.

The flask seemed to settle out to a small trub layer and a yeast layer in suspension on top and so did the plastic juice container so I poured both of these off into another glass container with more water in it and let it settle out in the fridge. I have a nice layer of yeast with clearer wort on top so will pour off the wort and put my yeast into sample jars for storage.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back