No Wiring Fridge Thermostat? How Does This Work

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vchead

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I'm considering an external thermostat to control temp in spare fridge. I noticed the thermostat pictured in attachment for about $120 that claims that no wiring is required to install. How does this work? Can't find any other info on them,

Cheers,

R

Thermostat.jpg

Thanks Cortez but still not sure how they work without being wired into the electricals of the fridge. (I'm not very good with electrical equipment)

R

Think I might have just worked it out. The fridge actually plugs into the unit, is this right? Does this mean its turning the power on and off all the time?

If this is right then the freezer would turn off too. Does the fridgemate that you wire in affect the temp in the freezer as well?

R

Ok

It works like this

Powerpoint <--- AdloHeat Controller <--- Fridge

<--- = plugs into

The heat controller sits between the power point and the fridge

The probe goes in through the fridge door and gives power to fridge as required

Cheers

Yes the "no wiring" claim is true because the wiring has already been done for you and is contained within the grey plastic housing. I still use one of these "analog" devices with my fermenting fridge.

When you wire in a Fridgemate (the blue one with the red digital numerals) are you just doing the same thing, ie, installing a device between the fridge and the power point?

R

If you have a separate fridge and freezer unit, you could contemplate doing what I did, and cut a hole between the two sections.

Looking down through the freezer section to the fridge section:
P6230013_1.JPG

Looking up from the fridge section into the freezer section:
P6230014_2.JPG

Another view from above through the freezer section:
P6230018_3.JPG

Note that the plastic trim I used around the hole was nice and bright and white for a while, but then once I started fermenting lagers a month or so back it took on that wierd appearance. Must be the sulphur that the lager yeast gives off, methinks.

Sam

If you have a separate fridge and freezer unit, you could contemplate doing what I did, and cut a hole between the two sections.

Looking down through the freezer section to the fridge section:
View attachment 19764

Looking up from the fridge section into the freezer section:
View attachment 19765

Another view from above through the freezer section:
View attachment 19766

Note that the plastic trim I used around the hole was nice and bright and white for a while, but then once I started fermenting lagers a month or so back it took on that wierd appearance. Must be the sulphur that the lager yeast gives off, methinks.

Sam

The cheapest option is DIY. Jaycar sell a wine cooler electronics kit for $40.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...=&SUBCATID=

It involves soldering it all together which took me about 2hrs, plug another few hours fiddling around to get it working. It uses a sensor where voltage is linearly proportional to temperature.

Otherwise you can get one on ebay, they use similar products for reptiles, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Thermostat-complete...1QQcmdZViewItem

Stef

When you wire in a Fridgemate (the blue one with the red digital numerals) are you just doing the same thing, ie, installing a device between the fridge and the power point?

R
Just to clarify with you Rodders - the wiring you need to perform with a fridgemate does not involve the fridge itself. The fridgemate comes in kit form and you need to wire up the controller and transormer to an extension lead. The unit will then work the same way as the AdloHeat (ie. you plug it into the powerpoint and the fridge into it). Wasn't clear from your ealier posts whether you understood that.

Note - suggest you have a sparky check your work before you plug it in.

If you're not confident wiring up a FridgeMate (or anything 240v) then don't do it.

I'm sure you could find a local electrician who would do it for you at a reasonable price, especially if you offered to drop it off at their home and leave it with them for a few days.

Sam

Thanks everyone.

I just went to Jaycar as they are right near me and found the kit. When I took it to the counter they asked me a few questions about my experience with electronic componentry and then declined to sell it to me. They said it was a complex kit and required some level of experience. Suggested I get a ready made one so as not to kill myself or others.

Rodders

Back