No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tahoose said:
Got dragged down to the peninsular for my girlfriends friends birthday.

The last two minutes conversation has held things such as;

I don't leave the house with out makeup.
Ahhh Disney princesses- shotgun frozen
I don't like grey either too many sweat patches.
I'm so sorry if you get a whiff of me.
You skin is so flawless.
Where do you get oily?

I'd like to lie and say that they are all fugly. I'm smashing beers and feeding them all punch, somehow managed to come out as the considerate guy who bought a keg of drinks for the girls.
And this is a critique of the individuals or the systematically oppressive patriarchal culture that prevents them from being the radical free thinkers that obviously everyone here is?

Lecterfan said:
And this is a critique of the individuals or the systematically oppressive patriarchal culture that prevents them from being the radical free thinkers that obviously everyone here is?
You don't say much around here any more, but when you do, it's umm, yeah, full of words n stuff

Lecterfan said:
You're right. I let the beer do the thinking for me.

shaunous said:
How good is living in Grafton!!!!!

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8933301/behind-the-lines-of-the-terror-raging-in-public-housing

Little aboriginal kids running wild, been going on for years, but lately they have kicked it up a notch. And my work wants to build there main depot a block from here :huh: .
Arseholes not giving a stuff about others or others property piss me off.
I once had a contract to replace windows in some housing trust houses in an area of Port Lincoln then known as Lincoln South.
The gubnment spent shit loads renovating many houses and renamed the area Lincoln Gardens,it is referred to locally as Savage Gardens.
I had heaps of trouble from one women tenant who had all the excuses under the sun for not letting me in to do my work,the yard was a series pot holes and a general pig sty.
Finally getting a master key and the housing trusts permission to use it I let myself into the house from hell,the stench was breath taking.
The lounge room was littered with rubbish and my boots stuck to the floor from the filth,the kitchen floor,table and cupboards had mouse shit all over them and rotting food was everywhere with mould growing over the sink.
The bathroom was horrendous ,the bathtub was full of dishes,clothes and rotting food. Mould covered the tub and had grown over the tub,down the side of it and across the floor (there were footprints in it leading to the shower ), the mould had also grown up the wall and was spreading across the ceiling.
I looked into one bedroom and found the reason for all the potholes in the yard.
That bedrooms floor was covered in dirt up to the top of the skirting boards,it was an indoor shit house for the tenants cats!.
That was enough for me I got out,outside I discovered that my socks and lower legs were covered in fleas.
I reported it,an Adelaide company took a month to clean,fumigate and repair the shithole.
The evil slob of a tenant even accused me of wrong doing,and guess what ?
She was given another house to live in. ****'n thing should have been shot.

And I worry about my house

7_Hoard_laundry(2).jpg

I'm not entirely sure that's a particular problem to public housing. That sort of filth is mental illness territory (either that or massively drug fucked). We have one round the corner from us. Absolutely batshit crazy. The yard is full of crap the guy picks up off other people's rubbish heaps in cleanup week. When I say full, I mean every square inch in huge rotting piles up to about six feet high. The house is full to the windows as well. House has been in the family for 3 generations. No public housing there. There was a famous one in Bondi that made the news a few months ago. Mother and daughters living together (their own house), all of them with some paranoid hoarding disorder. Eventually the council forcibly cleaned the place up because rats were breeding there and invading other houses.

OK... it may be more common in public housing because people with a severe mental illness have difficulty with holding down jobs and income management so they tend to end up there.

So I'm not sure that they were an evil slob and didn't give a ****. I'd bet there was something seriously wrong brain wise. The fact that the she wasn't getting the help she needed... now that's something to rant about.

Cheers
Dave

Nahhh.. there's lazy then there's major health hazard. One is just lazy, the other signals some other problem, whether its drugs or mental illness or something else. It takes more than lazy to let things get that bad. There has to be something else going on. Even my kids clean up when they can't see their floor any more.

And it can be hard to clean a house. If you're so depressed you can barely get out of bed in the mornings how motivated are you to switch on the vacuum? Or if you are busy hiding from the voices in your head. Or if you are like my MIL who has dementia and simply forgets that it hasn't been done. As far as she is concerned she did it yesterday. She rings us in a panic wondering who broke in and messed things up.

More than just lazy....

I hear ya man.
Sometimes I just think this world is way too concerned with excuses and not worried about actually doing things.
Whether that's excuses for not helping those that need help, or those who are able to do what needs to be done in their life but don't because it is easier to make an excuse.
You know what I mean ?
Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

RDWAHAHB I suppose.

Ed. spelling

Airgead said:
Even my kids clean up when they can't see their floor any more.
Can you send them around to my place and teach my kids how to clean up there room....

But in saying that, my oldest surprised me recently by cleaning his room ( and even made the bed..!!!)....until I realised it was a con job to get me to let him play minecraft...

4 lagers down. A XXXX Bitter (winner), XXXX 'Better' (poor balance, fruity), Extra Dry clone (turned out like an extra dry with a bit more flavour so wasn't great, also suffered the fruit syndrome) and this latest one... well let's just say I have much respect for yeast and fermentation now.

* Poor brewing practice warning ahead. Don't accept what is done here as advice *

Got the Danish lager and in my wisdom did a 1l starter (to liven it up see) and then stepped up to 2.5l, max my flask can handle. Stir plate.
Brewed at slightly high OG and volume and cubed. Decanted starter at 10°C and started fermenting at 10.
Took off 24h later so booyakasha.
After 3 days, bumped up 1°C per day to 13°C.
Took a sample at two weeks. 1.022 odd. Did the diacetyl rest thing over a few days up to 17°C. Checked hydrometer, 1.014 (FG 1.009 expected) so dropped to 4°C for a week to do the rapid lagering concept.
1 week later, dropped to 0.5°C.
Added polyclar the next day.
2 days later, removed from the chest freezer - my only fermenting freezer - and added yeast to another brew ready to ferment.

Sweet as right? Wrong bitch. Just prior to bottling and kegging I decided to take another gravity reading. I noted that I'd left the beer in the hydrometer and it was now sitting at 1.010. I checked the brew and it was... 1.014.

Casting my mind back I realised I had essentially done a fast ferment test in the hydrometer and didn't check the brew in the fementer. For some reason I accepted that as close enough.

The mind raced. What now?! Well, I racked into another vessel hoping that would liven it up some and threw it into the busted fridge where it warmed up and remained at around 20°C. I couldn't use the fermenting freezer because I'd just put another brew in it. After a few days of some activity it got down to 1.012 and was moving no further. Bottled and kegged, and waited it out.

Well 5 weeks at 3°C and it tastes like rubbish. Fruity fruity fruity, cloudy, and has a sweetness to it that doesn't belong in a clean lager. No diacetyl though: pro.

tl;dr I've just bought an O2 kit, won't be doing stupid small stepping with new yeasts, will use nutrient and will actually check gravity.

It can stop raining now. The tank's full again.

TheWiggman said:
4 lagers down. A XXXX Bitter (winner), XXXX 'Better' (poor balance, fruity), Extra Dry clone (turned out like an extra dry with a bit more flavour so wasn't great, also suffered the fruit syndrome) and this latest one... well let's just say I have much respect for yeast and fermentation now.

* Poor brewing practice warning ahead. Don't accept what is done here as advice *

Got the Danish lager and in my wisdom did a 1l starter (to liven it up see) and then stepped up to 2.5l, max my flask can handle. Stir plate.
Brewed at slightly high OG and volume and cubed. Decanted starter at 10°C and started fermenting at 10.
Took off 24h later so booyakasha.
After 3 days, bumped up 1°C per day to 13°C.
Took a sample at two weeks. 1.022 odd. Did the diacetyl rest thing over a few days up to 17°C. Checked hydrometer, 1.014 (FG 1.009 expected) so dropped to 4°C for a week to do the rapid lagering concept.
1 week later, dropped to 0.5°C.
Added polyclar the next day.
2 days later, removed from the chest freezer - my only fermenting freezer - and added yeast to another brew ready to ferment.

Sweet as right? Wrong bitch. Just prior to bottling and kegging I decided to take another gravity reading. I noted that I'd left the beer in the hydrometer and it was now sitting at 1.010. I checked the brew and it was... 1.014.

Casting my mind back I realised I had essentially done a fast ferment test in the hydrometer and didn't check the brew in the fementer. For some reason I accepted that as close enough.

The mind raced. What now?! Well, I racked into another vessel hoping that would liven it up some and threw it into the busted fridge where it warmed up and remained at around 20°C. I couldn't use the fermenting freezer because I'd just put another brew in it. After a few days of some activity it got down to 1.012 and was moving no further. Bottled and kegged, and waited it out.

Well 5 weeks at 3°C and it tastes like rubbish. Fruity fruity fruity, cloudy, and has a sweetness to it that doesn't belong in a clean lager. No diacetyl though: pro.

tl;dr I've just bought an O2 kit, won't be doing stupid small stepping with new yeasts, will use nutrient and will actually check gravity.
feel your pain fella.

I have an O2 kit, I don't have incomplete fermentation issues but do have the one you reckon is a peesapiss to solve.

I reckon a lot of these issues come from the temperature of ferment causing the yeast to drop out of suspension. Thinking I need a CO2 kit to bubble it at the bottom to keep the yeast stuff up there doing its job....

Apologies for bring up brewing in this thread.
I must say I had diacetyl but with ales (bottling too early, sorted now). I always let the lagers ferment out for weeks on end at higher temps at the end, never been a problem. I take it you do a diacetyl rest at the end when it's about 80% done?

yep. The process can be perfect but if the yeast is stressed or cack it won't reabsorb diacetyl no matter what. I've proved that with successive generations of the same yeast.... same problem. My last 4 batches using S189 in successive generations I had to clean up in the keg post ferment, discussed in another thread somewhere. Works, but not ideal. A concurrent run with the Danish yeast you used had no issues.

Common theme there, I've only ever used 2042.
Got a pilsner with WLP800 on week 3 at the moment so I'll see how that goes. Ales from then on until the O2 makes an appearance.

TheWiggman said:
Common theme there, I've only ever used 2042.
Got a pilsner with WLP800 on week 3 at the moment so I'll see how that goes. Ales from then on until the O2 makes an appearance.

the interesting thing is 2nd gen and beyond took less than a week to get to 1.010.... first gen a tad longer and produced inferior beer compared to subsequent gens.. Ferment at 10 deg C....

it may have something to do with the amount of yeast I leave behind for each subsequent ferment, but it works.

Latest posts

Back