No Head?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nossil

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Mangrove Jack Czech pilsner, and preboiled some Saaz hops for aroudn 15 mins. After this i added 1kg #15 booster Blend (500g dextros, 250gram maltodextrin, 250g dried light malt).

Added that to the boil with the Mangrove Jack Tin. Then added everything to fermenter and topped up with water.

Fermentation finished and I kegged, hooked up to gas and left it for a week. Now when i pour the beer it has a tiny bit of head (i think due to the high pressure it is disepnsing at), then the head dissapears pretty much straight away. Beer is very carbonated, so undercarbonation isn't the problem.
What am i missing in the brew process to keep a decent head on the beer? Ironically the Brew Booster Blend says "adds body, mouth feel, .........and head retention".

Also, to save creating new threads I'll throw in another 2 questions.
1 - When kegging i simply open the tap on the fermenter and letter it flow straight into the keg (no hose or siphon). I understand this is not the best way to do it because post-fermentation oxygen is the beers enemy, so no doubt all the bubbles are causing oxygen to get into the kegged beer. Is this a big factor in the outcome of the beer? Or is it just one of those 'best practice' guidlines?

2 - Dry hopping in keg. I have hops currently floating around in the batch of beer that is fermenting at the moment. The hops (30grams) are tied up in an old stocking (cleaned and sterelised!). Could I add this to the keg after fermentation has completed? Would the hops continue to add to the aroma/taste of the beer once its kegged?
I can't see the "floating stocking" being a problem in the keg, as it will just float on top until the keg is empty. But I won't bother adding it in if there is no point!

Sorry about the essay of a post, love the forum so much stuff to learn.

Cheers

Oops, not sure why this came up twice. Mods, plz delete!

Latest posts

Back