No Confensation On Gladwrap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Hey. For my last 3 beers ive just used the gladwrap trick with a few rubber bands instead of using a lid, grommet and airlock, just because i find it about 1000times easier... but i have noticed that you do not get condensation on the inside of the gladwrap like what i used to when using a lid. Is there a reason for this?

Im not worried at all, it makes it a lot easier to see whats going on inside, just more curious...

Cheers, Sponge

I always use glad wrap and I do get condensation. Did you put a small hole in the glad wrap for the C02 to escape?

Sure dont. I havent had any problems yet. The CO2 seems to find a way out without causing the gladwrap to 'bubble' too much.

I have had a couple of brews that have realy taken off and you can feel the co2 getting pushed out. I once had a high krausen push the glad wrap open. Either way is fine but having the hole for c02 to get out might cause the temp difference for the condensation to form. Just guessing though

Kabooby :)

I don't use a hole either,always have had condensation.

I'm pretty familiar with what yeasts will blow off the glad wrap,so lid up these ones with a blow off tube.

If using a new recipe/yeast with low headspace,i'll lid up with airlock.I prefer always using gladwrap if I can :wub:

Hmmm... condensation ey.... Yea, i usually do 20-23L brews in my 30L fermenter and 18-20L brews in my 25L fermenter, just so i dont have to worry about a blowoff tube

... well i havent had to.... yet....

im still curious to see a crazy krausen, but at the same time, would hate to...

Sponge

I can never keep WY3068 in the fermenter,unless 33% headspace.Oh and I stress the 3068 as well!

I have the same problem with WY1007 if fermented on the warm side,whereas WLP029 at the same temp barely rises.

WY3944 likes to crawl out, at the very moment your not looking as well ;)

Mainly the wheats,I have trouble with overflows.

Hmmm... condensation ey.... Yea, i usually do 20-23L brews in my 30L fermenter and 18-20L brews in my 25L fermenter, just so i dont have to worry about a blowoff tube

... well i havent had to.... yet....

im still curious to see a crazy krausen, but at the same time, would hate to...

Sponge

try Nottingham yeast and standby for action it goes right off

Franko

Latest posts

Back