No Chill / Partial Chill / Full Chill Experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Like" :icon_cheers:

- still got the original cd. Hardly a claim to fame, but it only lasted on Oz shelves for about 6 months before being withdrawn and replaced with the sanitised version.

THERE GOES THE NEIGHBOURHOOD! (big song for the pimply teenage Sabbath fans haha)

That brings back memories, haven't heard it in years.

Off to TPB I go.....

Sorry to OP for taking this :icon_offtopic: even more :icon_offtopic:

Forget The Police?

Parental Advisory Lyrics.

EDIT: NWA, not Bodycount. It's been a while - since I squeezed my zits.

Forget The Police?

Parental Advisory Lyrics.

EDIT: NWA, not Bodycount. It's been a while - since I squeezed my zits.
Str8 outta compton - yep, great stuff, but some of us country boys needed a big riff rather than a clever rhyme about a pit bull and an uzi to open our cultural horizons...

Then you need this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you need this:

Touche, but the Sabbath fans wanted a different type of riff, or more to the point a different rhythm/tempo. But I've already carried on about this elsewhere haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you drink beer for the numbers? I drink it for the taste! Hence stuff the scientific numbers, they are just a wank factor. Why do all the big breweries still hire people to do the final tasting? We need all the tasters we can get, so we can result on the input from many different people. People drink beer, not scientific equipment. If donburke is happy to bottle up one of each, I am more than happy to pay to get them up here and get together locals for a tasting, and submit our notes. Hopefully I can get AndrewQld in on this as he has the best ability to pick up the exact characteristics of beer of anyone I have ever met.

Same as drinking pre-fermented wort? I don't normally do that, do you? The finished product is what matters.

Keep it simple, blind tasting so yo don't build a pre determined outcome, and keep real people who are tasting it!

Don't forget this is a hobby and should be fun.

QldKev :icon_cheers:

I think a lab report on official IBU's is a good idea. Having tasters alone would only be able to determine results based on perceptions of bitterness and preferred tastes. Having real data to refer back to would be valuable.... and it shouldn't cost too much either.

Edit: I think both tasters and lab analysis are important. Not just one or the other.

Ouch...back in my box i go!
My humble opinion of course; but I taste my beer at every stage of the process because i can, and it helps ME understand what is happening where in my process.

I also categorically agree that tasting a finished beer is very important for this experiment. I have no doubt that some people will find differences when tasting and others wont. I was employed to do it with food for 15 years.

I use my taste buds, but also rely on numbers to help me improve my craft, otherwise it may be a lot of heresay.

I digress...

That was no way a personal attack. All I am trying to say is the numbers can add up to say (random beers, may have totally different IBUs etc) Ashai and Corona are the same. Both are lighter malt profiles, both are subdue IBUs, but are completely different beers and to me taste differently bittered. Maybe not the best example but hopefully you get what I mean.

Personally I think the IBU scale is great base way to measure 'a given bitterness compound' within beer. I think it is not a complete measurement of what the beer bitterness will taste like. I'm not talking IBU vs malt profiles, I'm talking wack in 200g of a high AA% hop at 0 mins. IBU calc will say zero bitterness, my taste buds will say heaps.

Maybe measuring the IBU will put something on paper, it could be great to at least document that. But didn't manticle's experiment result the no-chill was actually less bitter/smoother bitterness to drink? I would like to see a study of IBU Vs perceived bitterness.

I would like to see this kept something fun, so more people are tempted to do it again. Of course the ultimate decision on this one is by donburke as it's his experiment.

I'm also thinking of running a test on my system and pump out 4 cubes to see how it goes. Only problem is I only have temp controlled environment for 2 fermentors at a time.

QldKev

But didn't manticle's experiment result the no-chill was actually less bitter/smoother bitterness to drink?

No, the NC was definitely more bitter. It's just most who blind tasted picked it as more aromatic which is counter intuitive. I also preferred the balance of the NC but it's a beer I've brewed a few times specifically as an NC beer so the balance was thrown out for me with the lower bitterness.

I agree that measured bitterness and perceived bitterness are different but you'd be expecting these kinds of tests to be measuring the same beer so those factors should be lessened. If you tried it with different beers, even if theoretically the same IBU the results would tell you nothing.

I agree - first and foremost the human palate is the key instrument for qualitative assessment (most important with this kind of thing) but measured/quantitative differences would at least be interesting.

In the interest of necro...

879f10df.jpg

Pool chill for apartment dwellers

Is that from five storeys up?

lol no, just 1.

haha awesome!

If the rope breaks... deny all..... :ph34r:
I had tied my very own cowboy version of Bribie's hangmans noose, it held ;)
I must say I'm quite impressed, its all cooled down in ~ 1/2 an hour, of course the pool is big, I could put it into ferm fridge now and pitch in an hour if I wanted!
Well, I'll see, have also ordered a plate chiller since I get water for free :).. will see.. I'll have to do my own 3 way comparison sometime when I'm more organised.

do you just heave it from the balcony and then haul it up later like a cray pot?

10 shades of awesome if you do :lol:
Heaved and lowered, haul... well.... I tried :p...... and failed, not enough muscle, lol

Latest posts

Back