• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

No Chill Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doon

Reaction score
Rays outdoors are having a sale in Melbourne (not sure about other states) with 24.5 % off.

Picked up a 25 litre cube for 12 bucks! Just make sure you pressure test them out of the three that were at the Highpoint store only one held pressure when my fat arse kneeled on it!

Happy No Chilling

Picked up the 20L one of these at KMart last night for $15 - http://www.willow.com.au/carry_cans.html

Smells a bit plasticy inside, but I am gonna give it a good rinse + airing and try non alc ginger beer in it first as a nice quick test.

-edit-
Gee the "Camper" model looks familiar ;) (didn't see that one at KMart)

Picked up the 20L one of these at KMart last night for $15 - http://www.willow.com.au/carry_cans.html

Smells a bit plasticy inside, but I am gonna give it a good rinse + airing and try non alc ginger beer in it first as a nice quick test.

-edit-
Gee the "Camper" model looks familiar ;) (didn't see that one at KMart)

I wasn't happy with the smell/taste of my willow cube till I had filled it with v'hot (nearly boiling) water and let it cool down in there... and repeated a few times. I didn't try leaving it out in teh sunshine etc... but for mine, if you can taste the difference between boiling water cooled in the cube, and boiling water cooled in glass or ceramic, then it needs more treatment.

Mind you, once done the willow jerry has been a really easy to use NC cube.

Rays outdoors are having a sale in Melbourne (not sure about other states) with 24.5 % off.
Out of stock at the Rays Outdoors Nepean Highway (Brighton) store.

Must be a WHOLE lot of AHB'ers turning to No Chill

Aussie disposals have 20 litre, jerry can style, for $15 all the time. Or they have the 20 litre cubes for $10. At least that's the case here in Bendigo.

No affiliation etc.

Local Bunnings and Supercheap have the 20L Willow cubes for $14 currently, I bought a few extras recently because I couldn't resist the price :)

Yes there's a slight plastic smell / taste to start with but I find that a rinse with hot water, soak in bleach and then rinse again fixes this.

I use a 23l blue Willow for no chill, no problems with first use, however with my second use I found the cap will not seal airtight, no matter how many times I rethread, it now wont create a seal for the vacuum when I expel the air and leaks when on put on its side, wondering if the heat has warped the spout, anyone else had this happen?

I use a 23l blue Willow for no chill, no problems with first use, however with my second use I found the cap will not seal airtight, no matter how many times I rethread, it now won’t create a seal for the vacuum when I expel the air and leaks when on put on its side, wondering if the heat has warped the spout, anyone else had this happen?
exact same thing happens to the 2 blue willow cubes i have... first couple of times were fine, but now they don't hold a seal. Tried deburring the threads and using some keg lube, but no matter what i do they won't seal properly. Decided to retire them and use the FWK cubes from Ross... never had a problem with them. Just chalk it up to experience.

Edit: still use them for fermenting and lagering... son not totally wasted

I use a 23l blue Willow for no chill, no problems with first use, however with my second use I found the cap will not seal airtight, no matter how many times I rethread, it now wont create a seal for the vacuum when I expel the air and leaks when on put on its side, wondering if the heat has warped the spout, anyone else had this happen?

I have had the same issue with one of my Willow cubes not holding a seal after a few uses. Have worked out that it only occurs for me when I try to put the lid on as tight as it will go. With the cube in question I now back off the lid tightening a bit and the seal holds just fine.

that'll teach me for shopping at Bunnings instead of an LBS,
in the meantime will try less threading, otherwise will take Argons advice and use as a fermentor and/or lagerer, if thats a word,
cheers guys

Decided to retire them and use the FWK cubes from Ross... never had a problem with them.

+1 for the craftbrewer cubes. I've used mine several times with no problems.

hmm I've used the same willow NC cube for all my brews and it still seals up fine. Though I have 2 others and they all seem to be different, and the bungs aren't always compatible.

Have worked out that it only occurs for me when I try to put the lid on as tight as it will go. With the cube in question I now back off the lid tightening a bit and the seal holds just fine.

+1 to this!
I couldnt work out why i was getting No-Chill infections ... then one day while doing my regular 'tightening the lid as tight as i could', i could hear a slight hiss... yep, no seal. It was sucking air back in! Backed it off a 1/8th of a turn , the hissing stopped and it sealed just fine. I havent had a no-chill infection since. :D touch wood!

I've also experienced problems trying to over-tighten willow cubes,early no chill.Once you understand that the heat makes things more supple,have not had a problem in over 3 years.

So easy now,seat cap>squeeze out air>tighten lid 1/4 turn past contact>kneel on cube to test seal>all good :)

Well not all is lost then. I typically turn the lid as tight as I can on my cubes. Perhaps next rime if i'm stuck for a cube I'll give the lid a little back turn and see how it goes.

+1 to this!

I use the blue willow cubes and I have found this also.
The first couple of no-chills I did I was phucking about for ages trying to get the seal, and the first two leaked the next day. It seems I was turning too tight. I now just turn til it's starts to grab. Never had a problem since.

I use the blue willow cubes and I have found this also.
The first couple of no-chills I did I was phucking about for ages trying to get the seal, and the first two leaked the next day. It seems I was turning too tight. I now just turn til it's starts to grab. Never had a problem since.
Well I'll just have to rein in my massively strong wrists. Must be all that time on the late night interwebs. :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back