No Chill Cube Oaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dragging up an old thread bu am wondering if anyone else has tried this or Tony if you've done this again? I've just received some oak dominoes and am considering a barleywine, maybe ususinthis method

Again, dragging up an old thread, but this looks AWESOME! I'm looking at brewing 4 or 5 beers for my wedding next year and reckon this could be one of them. I don't have a keg so I'm not too sure about carbonation, can you guys offer any recommendation on how best to carbonate a stout or porter like this? (That head is making me salivate!!!).

Belated reply to the above - just prime as normal but at a lower rate. For stout/porter, I'd be looking at 1.8 vol, no higher than 2 if you prefer more fizz.
I gas my stout kegs at about 120 kpa for 24 hours then just top up the headspace when the pour slows. Also not served cold. 10+ degrees for me.

Just kegged a stout originally cubed with a handful of toasted Glen Moray soaked french oak chips.
I ferment in the cube so oak remained during fermentation.
Beautiful stout, distinctly oak/red wine and vanilla.

Be good to see how it ages. Oak and beer are slightly distinct from one another atm, thinking time will help it integrate but I can vouch for the NC oak. Been meaning to try it for years (well ever since reading this thread)

manticle said:
Belated reply to the above - just prime as normal but at a lower rate. For stout/porter, I'd be looking at 1.8 vol, no higher than 2 if you prefer more fizz.
I gas my stout kegs at about 120 kpa for 24 hours then just top up the headspace when the pour slows. Also not served cold. 10+ degrees for me.

Just kegged a stout originally cubed with a handful of toasted Glen Moray soaked french oak chips.
I ferment in the cube so oak remained during fermentation.
Beautiful stout, distinctly oak/red wine and vanilla.

Be good to see how it ages. Oak and beer are slightly distinct from one another atm, thinking time will help it integrate but I can vouch for the NC oak. Been meaning to try it for years (well ever since reading this thread)
So what was your oaking rate into the cube Manticle?

Handful of chips,toasted, soaked in single malt for a few days.
Pretty rough measurements I'm afraid.

sounds about the same as me. i used a handful of med+ hungarian in a few things. works well.
i have a rough idea it was about 40 grams per cube.

Back