No Chill Cube Oaking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok........... so it begins.

the barrel chips have soaked up all the rum and almost doubled in volume. they smell great, but very intense so i will exercise caution with use as recommended..

I'm thinking of adding 100g of the rum soaked chips (about 1/3) to a cube, and leaving the other cube un-oaked so i can taste the difference. Also if it doesn't work out, i have only messed up half the batch. Going to ferment them side by side.

The porter is mashing as i type. The special roast smells AMAZING in the mash, with the brown and pale choc malt. Going to add the darker chocolate malt at mash out to keep it smooth.

Rum Oaked Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 34.00 Wort Size (L): 34.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.50
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.24
Anticipated EBC: 58.9
Anticipated IBU: 35.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
80.0 6.00 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 5
5.3 0.40 kg. Special Roast America 1.036 100
5.3 0.40 kg. TF Brown Malt UK 1.033 160
5.3 0.40 kg. TF Pale Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 550
4.0 0.30 kg. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 936

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
40.00 g. Wye Target Pellet 10.50 35.4 75 min.

Yeast
-----

2 x 17 liter cubes filled with 1.054 porter.

I dropped a challenger plug in the kettle as i turned off the heat....... give a bit of complexity against the ,malt and rum/oak.

I put 100g of chips in one cube, 50g of chips in the other.

Leaves me some for the next porter if it works out :)

Well............. its a screaming success!

Rumbarrelporter1152x1728.jpg

RunbarrelPorter11152x1728.jpg

100g cube and its delightful!

cheers

You, good sir, have tempted me to do a little something like this for my next porter.

Real glad it turned out well for you mate

Sponge

Looks fantastic Tony, I imagine you have a decent body on that beer to balance the Oak?

It went from 10.54 down to 1.010 with 1469, so its quaffable but very malty.

I'm not a fan of "chewy" beers and the lack of carb kind of thins it a bit, but yeah its got a finer body than me :p

The oak has come through as a sweet slightly oily aroma and hints of flavor in the background.

Its not overly oaky, the rum sweetness has blended well with the toasted and roasted malts to add a fine complexity.

I have another cube where i only used 50g of the chips, but im going to let it sit for a few months to see what it does to the beer.

Its in no way harsh, or acrid, or overly oaked......... in fact i feel i could have used more.

cheers

Tony, this may be a silly question but, did you add the chips to the cube whilst the cube was still hot?... I am assuming you did.

You get seriously good efficiencies, how do you brew?

Tony, this may be a silly question but, did you add the chips to the cube whilst the cube was still hot?... I am assuming you did.

Yes...... put them in he cube and racked boiling hot wort onto them. They were then tipped into the fermenter as well.

You get seriously good efficiencies, how do you brew?

I brew how i brew mate....... nothing more to say.

I get 80 to 85% eff from my 3v HERMS system, and my dodgy old esky that gravity feeds to a cut out keggle.

Might have to have a crack a this Tony.

Sounds and looks good.

It is...... and i still owe you a couple bottles.... i havnt forgotten :)

Tony, any noticable difference between the 100gm and 50g chip versions?

Photos look sensational.

Dont know mate..... tje 50 gm cube is still a cube, but i dont think there will be.

Fermented the 2nd cube after letting it sit on the oak for about 3 months. The first cube was on 100g of chips for about 10 days or so. This one was on 50g of 3 months.

This one is better.

It has the same flavors, but smoother and rounder and more balanced.

To be honest this is one of the best beers i have ever had...... let alone made. I dont think it would be as good on Co2 as it is on a 30/70 smooth pour nitrogen mix, but the balance is perfect.

Aroma of sweet rum and oak, layered with chocolate, toffee and coffee, smooth and bitter sweet.

I really think the rum and the oak has balanced the chocolate and brown malt well to make it something wonderful.

People.............. if you like you porters, stouts, bitters etc.............. get a nitro bottle, nitro reg and a stout tap.

You will never look back!

PS..... this was in primary fermenter 30 min before this photo was taken!

RumBarrelPorter121111_21152x1728.jpg

RumBarrelPorter121111_11152x1728.jpg

Congratulations Tony brilliant photos looks and sounds like a classic brew. Makes me salivate just looking at the pictures.
Glad it was worth the effort.

Funny my bottled stout has a brown head.

I did just what you described Tony, I used 50gm in 25lt, toasted the oak chips, soaked in rum etc. I made a oaky, smokie, porter and it turned out fantastic.
Thanks for the inspiration, I'll be brewing this agian for sure. :beer:

Batz

Fermented the 2nd cube after letting it sit on the oak for about 3 months. The first cube was on 100g of chips for about 10 days or so. This one was on 50g of 3 months.

This one is better.

It has the same flavors, but smoother and rounder and more balanced.

To be honest this is one of the best beers i have ever had...... let alone made. I dont think it would be as good on Co2 as it is on a 30/70 smooth pour nitrogen mix, but the balance is perfect.

Aroma of sweet rum and oak, layered with chocolate, toffee and coffee, smooth and bitter sweet.

I really think the rum and the oak has balanced the chocolate and brown malt well to make it something wonderful.

People.............. if you like you porters, stouts, bitters etc.............. get a nitro bottle, nitro reg and a stout tap.

You will never look back!

PS..... this was in primary fermenter 30 min before this photo was taken!

RumBarrelPorter121111_21152x1728.jpg

RumBarrelPorter121111_11152x1728.jpg

HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!

I did just what you described Tony, I used 50gm in 25lt, toasted the oak chips, soaked in rum etc. I made a oaky, smokie, porter and it turned out fantastic.
Thanks for the inspiration, I'll be brewing this agian for sure. :beer:

Batz

Great stuff Batz...... glad it worked out for you. It certanly is a great way to get oak into a beer without majour risk of infection from soaking it in secondary for ages.

My cubes can tend to sit around in the garage for months before i get to them anyway, so why not use this time to do some good.

HOLY SHIT THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!

haha........ it is :)

Latest posts

Back