No Chill Cube - Bunnings Blue BMW Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Yep we all take that risk. We will all have BPA in our bodies in low doses, but the good news is the estrogenic chemicals that we will be consuming will not affect us directly it is more likely to kill our grandchildren.
"A poison kills you," says biology professor Frederick vom Saal. "A chemical like BPA reprograms your cells and ends up causing a disease in your grandchild that kills him."[/size]
As a non-breeder, I feel vindicated.

wide eyed and legless said:
Yep we all take that risk. We will all have BPA in our bodies in low doses, but the good news is the estrogenic chemicals that we will be consuming will not affect us directly it is more likely to kill our grandchildren.
"A poison kills you," says biology professor Frederick vom Saal. "A chemical like BPA reprograms your cells and ends up causing a disease in your grandchild that kills him."
Sweet. I didnt start no-chilling until after my procreation period.

i think bpa is the least of my worries after some of the stuff i used in the defines force

Re 'cubes' for safe no-chilling. ie. makers of FWK

Couple years ago I tried a couple of "Brewer's Selection" 15L Fresh Wort Kits. Kept the containers ('cubes'). Now use them (plus a couple more empty BS cubes that our local LHBS sourced for me) as my no-chill cubes/fermenters. They come with a bung installed but not 'drilled out'. I syphon... Four of them fit in my 150L chest freezer. Two years now with the BS cubes, no worries...

Cheers

pist said:
If it's HDPE it should in theory withstand the temperature of hot wort post whirlpooling.

There will be a reason why the manufacturer recommends a lower temperature, usually a reserved figure to cover their arse, and more than likely the dyes they put into the plastic to turn it blue or whatever colour has a risk of leeching from the plastic at elevated temperatures.

My HDPE cube I purchased from Craftbrewer is a BMW plastics (white colour) container. Given they sell these promoting use for no chilling would suggest theres little to no risk associated with the use of these containers for the purpose of no chill. The quote above seems to support this argument. I feel more than comfortable using the container, as the temperature which I normally around 80-90oC, well below the 110oC limit of HDPE.

This is however, only my personal opinion and I take no responsibility for the decision of others to use these containers.
The temperature HDPE can withstand is high,especially the more robust dangerous goods containers, it is the temperature wherein the chemical compounds start to migrate that is the important factor, with the PET drink bottles a bottle of water left in a hot car causes water to become contaminated with chemicals, because someone has been using plastic containers to put hot wort into for years is NO guarantee that they are safe, it can take many years for any noticable health issues to become apparent.

For those talking about BPA:
  • BPA is rapidly metabolised in the human body, eliminated as gluciuronide through faeces and urine. It has a half life of 2 hours.
  • Potential human exposure to BPA is at least 400 times lower than the accepted safe daily limit of 0.05 mg/kg body weight/day established by the United States of America, Environmental Protection Agency
  • The level of BPA from food that can be passed from pregnant mothers to the fetus is so low it can’t be measured. Researchers fed pregnant rodents 100 to 1000 times more BPA than people are exposed to through food, and could not detect the active form of BPA in the foetus eight hours after the mother’s exposure.
Source: http://nomadity.com.au/Nomadity/Newsroom/Entries/2012/6/15_PCs_and_Bisphenol_A_%28BPA%29.html
Links to published research at the bottom of that link.

Hey just an update on this. Did my first brew in the blue 20l jerry container. With the green and the blue container I first boiled 20l and left overnight just in case some colors leeched. Then put my brew in today. Also for anyone skeptical the containers are hdpe and they are also bpa free. I put 19l in without too much deformity and squeezing.

HDPE plastic rarely contains BPA but chemical migration from HDPE is accelerated by temperature increase, any of those worried by this should probably use a stainless or aluminium container in which to transfer the hot wort, cover and pitch the yeast the following day. But as we are making a carcinogenic toxin, far worse than what might leach from the plastic, why worry about it, unless it alters the taste of the beer. :)

Back