No chill brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigj

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying this. Anyone's insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
How crucial is using a cube?
Would there anything be wrong with filling up my fv all the way, squeezing out as much air as possible and putting in my fermentation fridge overnight before pitching?
Thanks

cube has become more of a generic term for a sealable container.

I 'cube' in 25L HDPA jerry cans.

The idea is that while the wort is over 80 deg, it will pasteurise the container and the air left in it... then it is left to cool in a (mostly) sanitary environment.

I would recommend racking off the cold break, otherwise you will end up with trub over the tap.

I would assume the FV's plastic is thicker than the cube/ can etc.

bigj said:
I'm interested in trying this. Anyone's insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
How crucial is using a cube?
Would there anything be wrong with filling up my fv all the way, squeezing out as much air as possible and putting in my fermentation fridge overnight before pitching?
Thanks
There is a heap of threads on no chill brewing which will answer all your questions. Do a search and you'll have hours of reading at your fingertips.

However, the idea is to seal your wort in an airtight container to pasteurise itself, and not allow air to come in contact with the cooling wort as it shrinks in size.

Could you use your FV? Yes, but it isn't airtight so you'll be drawing air (and bugs) as it cools.

Would I use my FV as a no chill vessel? Never.

JD

It depends on what your FV is.

If it can be made air-tight (ie no air-lock hole on lid, and no air getting sucked in at all once you seal it), and you fill it most of the way, and it is flexible enough to squeeze the sides so that not too much air space will remain when you put the lid on to seal it, air-tight, and if it's HDPA rated, then you could use it.

As mentioned earlier you should let it cool slowly to allow pasteurisation.

Personally I'd also replace the tap with a bung (though that's just me being extra careful after once trying to pour near-boiling wort through a plastic tap that proceeded to melt/expand/spray wort everywhere).

But maybe the OP should come at this from the other direction. Ferment in your cube, so it then becomes your FV.

FWIW, I no-chill in my stainless steel pot that is also used for the boil. Wrap the lid seal just after flameout with gladwrap and let it cool overnight outside or in the garage on cold concrete. Pour to the fermenter the next morning. 23 beers done so far this year by that method and seems to work pretty well.

Latest posts

Back