Nice Rich Stout.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been able to get to the LHBS for awhile and have had an empty fermenter sitting around for over a week..... a very sad thing!!

So I bit the bullet last night after keeping an eye on this thread for awhile, went to the supermarket and bought myself a can of Coopers Stout and a can of Coopers Dark Ale.

Made up my first ever toucan, but also added 400g brown sugar, a dash of licorice extract and used some US56 yeast I had lying around.

Had a SG of 1052, and after 12 hours the yeast hasn't 'taken off' like the experience of some in this thread.... but is starting to develop a bit of a krausen and working the airlock slowly but surely.

Tasted REALLY bitter out of the fermenter with a hint of brown sugar aftertaste. I will be very interested to see how a toucan can turn out..... especially since my one experience with a kit so far has been ordinary. Hoping for a NICE, RICH, CREAMY STOUT!

couldnt be stuffed brewing AG today so im going to Try one of these 2 cans to fill my last fermenter before i go away for the weekend.

can any of u twocan'ers check this and comment please

can of stout and a can of dark ale
500 gms dark dried malt
500gms of light dried malt
250grams dex
maybe some honey?
and thinking of adding 20gms of por hops to primary for 5 days (just to get rid of em)

4 packets of yeast thats laying around

cheers

couldnt be stuffed brewing AG today so im going to Try one of these 2 cans to fill my last fermenter before i go away for the weekend.

can any of u twocans check this and comment please
4 packets of yeast thats laying around

cheers
4 packs of yeast seem excessive. 2 packs should be enough, maybe go 3
Dont think you'll taste the honey in the end. but hey it gives extra % and might contribute to background flavours.
no idea about the POR. cant hurt.

Hey Kingy,

Sounds like it will be a pretty big beer, should be lovely. I plan to dry hop my toucan with some fuggles after fermentation has finished. personally, I don't like the idea of POR as a finishing hops. But that's just me....

I don't know about honey in a stout recipe, perhaps a little golden syrup or mollasses might be a better option for rich, chocolatey stout flavours? I have seen others using these ingredients. Used brown sugar in my toucan as a bit of an experiment.....

Hope it all goes well!

I have made a good stout with -

1.7kg coopers stout can
1.5 kg cooper amber malt
500ml golden syrup

Mix 2lt water with amber malt and boil
15g Fuggles boiled for 15 min
15g Fuggles for last 5 min with golden syrup

mix in can at flame out

2 x packet yeast

Very tasty!!!!

1.7kg coopers stout can
1.5 kg cooper amber malt
500ml golden syrup

mix in can at flame out

2 x packet yeast

Very tasty!!!!

funny enough it did some thing very similar last night..

1.7 coopers dark ale
1.7 coopers irish stout
500gm dex

5l water to boil, added dark ale and dex
12gm fuggles for 10mins
12gm fuggles for 5 mins

added to fermenter with irish stout can, filled to 23l @ 18 deg.

OG: 1078 :eek:

I'm in favour of the Coopers Stout toucan but.....

It MUST be left at least 8 weeks after bottling before drinking. Early consumption harshness is prevalent but after 8 weeks of bottle conditioning the taste and balance are brilliant, and gets better with age.

Brew these during the warmer months for Winter consumption.

Any late addition of Fuggles is a definite plus.

1.7kg coopers stout can
1.5 kg cooper amber malt
500ml golden syrup

mix in can at flame out

2 x packet yeast

Very tasty!!!!

hi,
is the golden syrup a lyles and tate or csr style of strong flavour.?

cheers, alan

Latest posts

Back